Jenga's FOTK Build (Jimmi kit + Anovos helmet)

Jenga

Hey everyone! I'm new to the 501st, but I'm an approved member of the Mandalorian Mercs so I do have some armor experience. I've got the Anovos standard line helmet and Jim's v3 kit currently headed my way in the mail. 

I've done a little bit of work to the helmet so far. I've added a bit of mesh under the slits, dipped the inside black, and added my wireless mic. I've also ordered some more padding to insulate the sound and an aluminum aerator from vaderpainterstudios to replace the ugly plastic one.

70yoKDU.jpg?1

CTP50dI.jpg?1

tgF67EK.jpg?1

As is custom, I'll list my supplies and where I got them as I go

Armor: Jimmi's v3 kit

Helmet: Anovos standard line

Machined aluminum aerator: VaderPainter Studios

Boots and gloves: Imperial Boots (ordered)

Edited by Jenga
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2017 at 6:57 AM, Jenga said:

It's BBB day! Did a quick test fit when I got home from work. Fits nicely, but I'm definitely on the short side for a trooper so I have lots of trimming in my future haha

rKh0FhD.jpg?1

Just out of curiosity how tall are you?

1 minute ago, Dragon_a said:

Im 5'6" myself so I'll be very interested as to just how much trimming you need to do.

So far it looks like only the thighs and shins. The upper body pieces are ok height wise.

More updates ahoy! I've been recovering from a surgery for the past 2 weeks so I've had the time off work to actually work on the kit every day.

Managed to get a harness system on the ab piece using suspenders

F2mc8OM.jpg

Also got some painting done. Now, I've had some issues with paint.

cKvvI3M.jpg

The hand plates and shoulders are painting up perfectly, but I'm having issues with the knee plates. I managed to get a nice coat on them before, but a hair fell in them the first time around so I repainted. When I tried to repaint, I got some NASTY reaction and they're looking pretty rough now. I'm now on the 3rd attempt over 24 hours to resand, reprime, and repaint them and I'm having poor luck. I've tried everything (bringing humidity levels down by painting inside, warming up the can with warm water beforehand, etc) and nothing is working. Thinking it may be some chemical reaction, but I'm not mixing paint brands and all the other pieces are doing fine under the same conditions. Any ideas? For now my plan of action is to leave them alone for a few days, re-sand the heck out of them, and keep trying.

9OPiBoc.jpg

2 hours ago, Jenga said:

The hand plates and shoulders are painting up perfectly, but I'm having issues with the knee plates. I managed to get a nice coat on them before, but a hair fell in them the first time around so I repainted. When I tried to repaint, I got some NASTY reaction and they're looking pretty rough now. I'm now on the 3rd attempt over 24 hours to resand, reprime, and repaint them and I'm having poor luck. I've tried everything (bringing humidity levels down by painting inside, warming up the can with warm water beforehand, etc) and nothing is working. Thinking it may be some chemical reaction, but I'm not mixing paint brands and all the other pieces are doing fine under the same conditions. Any ideas? For now my plan of action is to leave them alone for a few days, re-sand the heck out of them, and keep trying.

9OPiBoc.jpg

That does NOT look right :huh: Is this from the same can? Maybe you got a lemon?

If you give them a little tap first with a Philips head screw driver it helps to split the posts and they will ben over and grip better

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops I've been bad about posting progress! Haha.

Gotten decently far on attachment. I currently have most of the upper body attached with snaps. I'm probably going to tweak the shoulders because they are sitting a little low, and I still have to finish the chest attachment.

e3m2RJR.png

I also got a bunch of painting done at a friend's place today and overall it went pretty ok. I absolutely hate these weird trigger spray cans because they tend to drip paint everywhere and it's a pain. I'm going to end up wetsanding to 2000 grit and clear coating for the shine.

tXhxB2J.png

Edited by Jenga

Coming along nicely, I've not had an issue with drips, but depends on brand, nozzle and how you keep your finger on it, just keep checking there isn't a build up of paint around the tip while painting.