Just another E-11 build

tennantlim

1 hour ago, tennantlim said:

BRITISH STERLING L2A3 MK4 SMG

Finished with the base gun! I am very reluctant to convert this to E-11 to be honest. 

You could probably make all the extras revertible. The whole scope rail & hengstler unit shouldn't need anything else but the rear screw to hold, the power cylinders can be magnet to the magazine, and the T-tracks would probably hold on their own if only pressure fitted to the barrel (if not, one or two drops of e6000 or similar glue would make them easy to remove).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

You could probably make all the extras revertible. The whole scope rail & hengstler unit shouldn't need anything else but the rear screw to hold, the power cylinders can be magnet to the magazine, and the T-tracks would probably hold on their own if only pressure fitted to the barrel (if not, one or two drops of e6000 or similar glue would make them easy to remove).

I did all those except I used double sided tape for the power cylinders. I can't add a magnet in the magazine because I am planning to modify it with working spring and follower when it arrives. Thanks for your suggestions though. 

Loving the weathering on your magazine with all those fine scratches. Makes it look very real - like the rest of your blaster. Congrats on completing this beautiful piece of art. :duim:

4 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

What an accomplishment, your blaster looks amazing!

3 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

This blaster looks top notch. Fantastic paint job. Looks like the real deal. 

3 hours ago, CableGuy said:

That looks SUPERB!! I'll be studying your thread before I start my build. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, T-Jay said:

Loving the weathering on your magazine with all those fine scratches. Makes it look very real - like the rest of your blaster. Congrats on completing this beautiful piece of art. :duim:

Thank you so much everyone for your compliments. Really means a lot to me. I actually almost gave up in the middle of the build because I didn't think I could pull off a few details. It didn't help that I was also going through a depression phase with some crap going on in my life. Then I injured my knee and was told to rest it for a week at home, so I picked it back up and completed it with all the free time to fill.

Cheers all!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm not done with this project. When I saw that Robert (swpropman) had made replicas of the magazine follower, I immediately placed an order with him for a set. To my surprise, it arrived along with the bottom plate and sliding plate in separate pieces!

20170912-Sterling_SMG_magazine_follower-

Here's a comparison between the original one-piece and the new two-piece plates.

The follower replica is one solid piece, so I am going to modify it with working rollers.

Test fit in the magazine.

Left photo is Robert's real follower and right photo is the plastic replica.

PhotoGrid_1505352915965.jpg

This morning I separated the roller portion from the holder. Unofrtunately that was all I had time for before rushing off to work.

20170914_081932-01.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by tennantlim
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, darthcue said:

wow!!!! i have to buy myself those followers, this is going to be a great mod! :jc_doublethumbup: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Do it! It would be cool to see how you do yours.

11 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Interesting to see the inner components of the magazine - getting details tight for SMG part, your blaster is getting even more real....anticipating next update

I just hate to pull the bolt back and see an abyss in there. :P 

Edited by tennantlim

22 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Abyss = room for electronics, maybe not in this case, for your next build emoji38.png!

Just realized this: I had meant to type "...hate to C-O-C-K the bolt back...", but it was changed to weenie! 

I built a F-11D with electronics! You can see my build thread here on Facebook: 

Edited by tennantlim
  • Like 1

Follower cleaned and painted in semi-gloss black. 

20170915_083831-01.jpg

I am still searching for the right tube or rod for the rollers. So I started on the magazine mod. 

The magazine replica from Robert does not come with guides for the sliding plate.

20170915_080929.jpg

I cut two pieces of 0.008" steel sheets and folded them at the vice with a steel ruler.

20170915_080904.jpg

20170915_080848.jpg

Test fit with tape.

20170915_080801.jpg

20170915_080741.jpg

Painted and attached to the inside of the magazine opening with epoxy. I used magnets to pull the steel guides against the magazine walls while the epoxy set.

20170915_082721-02.jpg

Edited by tennantlim
  • Like 2

Back to work on the follower. I found a pen that fits the diameter of the rollers, so I cut two pieces to size.

20170916_180553_edited.jpg

I filed the chamfers by hand and primed them.

20170916_225714_edited.jpg

Painted and ready to be installed. 

20170917_094744_edited.jpg

I cut a Lego piece to use as studs on one end, and as pin receivers on the chamfered end. 

20170917_105638.jpg

I should have the completed and weathered follower in the next update. 

Edited by tennantlim
  • Like 3