Another newbie requesting for assistance in searching of first Stormtrooper armor

Hello there,

my friend is turning 30 years old later this year and he spoke to me recently about wanting to organize a "comic book heroes, Star Wars, LOTR etc" party.

This gave me the chills because I realized this would be the perfect opportunity to make my childhood dreams come true and finally get my first proper Stormtrooper armor. I started browsing through different web stores and found only ridiculous, cheap versions (overalls and whatnot). The only model that looked somewhat authentic was something called "Deluxe Stormtrooper" and the price tag on it was a mild $1500. That's a bit too much for something I might not be wearing daily, heh. :D

Then I decided to look into the 501st Legion more, contacted the Nordic Garrison on Facebook and they directed me here to get some more answers.

So what I am searching for is an "as authentic as possible" Stormtrooper armor (Original Trilogy or Force Awakens) with a price tag around 500 Euros / $590 (?). At the moment I have no clue about the pricing so please feel free to correct my budget. I think I can manage without a blaster at first because I have a bad feeling that my hands will be filled with beverages most of the time. So I better just keep focusing on hitting my helmet on various blast doors.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :smiley-sw013:

- Tom / bromeo

Edited by bromeo

Welcome to the FISD Tom. Check out the Getting Started section. It has a thread of all the vetted armor makers. You're pretty close with your budget. Maybe on the low side, but close. Don't buy off of E-Bay. 99% of it is garbage. 

Good Luck Future Trooper:duim:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, magni said:

Welcome to the FISD Tom. Check out the Getting Started section. It has a thread of all the vetted armor makers. You're pretty close with your budget. Maybe on the low side, but close. Don't buy off of E-Bay. 99% of it is garbage. 

Good Luck Future Trooper:duim:

Thanks for the reply!

Also feel free to move my topic to the right section. I just noticed that "Getting Started" would have been the right one. Sorry about that. :)

Hi Tom. It will be tough to get everything needed for a good accurate stormtrooper for that price. After getting the armor there are things like boots, holster, blaster, etc. Like Randy said the getting started section is a great place to start with approved vendors. Good luck!

• Like 2

So unfortunately I will have to echo my buddies Randy and Allan's posts.  $550 is on the low end for you to get yourself a kit.  I would look into MTK.  You can find him on ebay as MTK Armory (the only armor you should ever buy on ebay) or you can email him at mtk_armor@cox.net

I think his armor would be in your price range but it would just be in kit form.  You would have to build it which would require you to buy some tools and accessories you will need to assemble the kit.  Also don't forget you would need at belt, boots, undersuit, holster, and other things.  Take a look at this thread: 

Also check out this thread:

This hobby is not cheap.  It is important to do as much research as you can before you jump in so you do not waste any money in the short run or even the long one.  Ask us any questions you may have. 

Also yes I am moving this thread from the Ebay Armor section to the getting started section.

Do you guys have opinions about this store? Again, my intention is not to get approved by the 501st but just get some lower tier set for "party use" / movie premieres etc. If I understood correctly, these combos are all pre-assembled and ready to wear. The "one size fits all" kinda scares me though because I'm a bit on the heavier side at 220 lbs (height 6'0). Maybe it's time for some jogging.

http://www.originalstormtrooper.com/original-combo-deals-32-c.asp

EDIT: Okay... from another source: "Stay away from that company! Not good at all."

Edited by bromeo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bromeo.

The cheapest way to build decent armor that looks good is to go the craft foam route. If you are not worried about screen accuracy, you can build some good looking armor for a reasonable price. A lot of people make Iron Man Armor, Halo Armor, World of Warcraft Armor, ect...out of craft foam and it looks fantastic. I will link you to a few guys on YouTube that can help you out. 

Evil Ted Smith's Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40

Punished Props Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27YZdcPTZM24PgjztxanEQ

Heroes Workshop (One of the best Foam Iron Man builders out there. Can use a lot of his techniques to make a Foam Stormtrooper)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRc7kkxpHTIbd6JehP9wKbw

Xieng Prod 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3818VG9PBTLiUFQ0nDW0tw

If the only thing you're looking for is a Halloween / party costume and you have no interest in the 501st, then finding a secondhand Rubies Supreme kit on eBay or Craigslist may actually be a viable option for you and at the cost you are looking for. People tend to buy them either for the same reason you are looking for one, or they mistakenly believe it will work for the 501st. Later, once they are either done with it or realize their error they tend to toss them back up on eBay for cheap. Further, if you don't care so much about screen accuracy then you don't need to worry about proper soft goods (boots, gloves, neckseal, etc.) or a proper blaster.

If you're not in a hurry, start checking the listing in November. The post-Halloween online market will be flooded with them.

Some things to keep in mind, you already mentioned you're on the taller/heavier side so buying the "screen accurate standard" may not be the best option for you.  You may find yourself unable to fit into the armor, which will be even more frustrating than getting yourself a standard party store costume.  

What you will find this boils down to is a delicate balancing act.  What's you're budget?  What's your skill level?  What is your planned use?  How soon do you need it?

You're not going to find a full, complete kit for that cost.  And if you do, most likely it won't fit properly or it won't be close to screen accurate.  

The better vendors, those who would fit you, may have a longer wait time for the plastic.

If you have time and skill, the foam, Pepakura (or paper) route is an option, just keep in mind many of those models are not screen accurate and there is quite a bit of adjustment that needs to be done to get it to fit properly.  Not to mention the time and work to make a quality costume.  

Take a good look at the difference between an ANH TK and a FOTK.  While both are great options, the FOTK, being newer, can be double the cost of the ANH.

Finally, while joining the 501st isn't a requirement, working with your local garrison can be a great help. They will usually have build parties where you can meet and greet with other enthusiasts like yourself and get some personalized help in identifying the right style armor for you as well as help building it.  

Best of luck to you!

Many people come here looking for a little knowledge and advice and then either run screaming from the room because of the details and cost OR they rub their hands together, grinning madly as they plan their kit because of the details, in spite of the cost. ;)