A Texas R1TK Build (Jimmi)

I'll echo what others said, when there are small kids around you really need a minder.
Interested to hear about the hearing assist system. Where did you place the microphones?
I learned first hand the need for an mindset.

Below you'll see I drilled out a channel to interior where the mold has an indention. There I used abs to create a bracket bridging the indention, drilled hole and fitted mics suspended so they didn't directly touch exterior and pick up vibrations. a7e054c2c6356e4dc1abd7cd3994239e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Good job Todd! Do you have more pictures in full armor?
I'll upload more after I make dinner alterations which include:
- harvest tears from Black Series helmet to more closely match R1 screen
- replace elastic straps attaching cod and butt with nylon to torso to minimize movement and gaps I excited in first wear
- add more snaps and elastic straps to close torso (or go on a diet)
- trim shins length. I bought Jimm's tall version but despite being 6 feet 1inch I only have 32 inseam which makes shins rise too high above my knees. Kit isn't really made for this alteration so I'll tread lightly.
- watch more YouTube painting tutorials and try again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THMAustin said:

The torso hangs off the suspenders via snaps front and back. Yes, Velcro used to close forearms and shins which proved to be more than adequate. Finally, yes Jimm includes a green lens that I cut down.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 12:46 PM, THMAustin said:

Torso strapping with suspenders.
c202242853cd964a04af0d430b474242.jpg

A few more questions.

Do you put this on over your head or step into it? Does it open a little at the back, and then you snap it shut? I need to take a little off of my Abdomen armour, but I wasn't sure if it would need to still fit over my shoulders or have my butt squeeze through. And that back plate is just glued to one side?

Will the "slash" on the sides just get painted black? I sort of thought this might be elastic, but it looks like on your build and on Jimmi's it just gets painted?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

A few more

Do you put this on over your head or step into it? Does it open a little at the back, and then you snap it shut? I need to take a little off of my Abdomen armour, but I wasn't sure if it would need to still fit over my shoulders or have my butt squeeze through. And that back plate is just glued to one side?

Will the "slash" on the sides just get painted black? I sort of thought this might be elastic, but it looks like on your build and on Jimmi's it just gets painted?

Thanks in advance.

No problem, glad to help. If you magnify the picture you’ll see at the 12 o’clock position there is a gap at the back that is hidden by the back plate that attaches as final step. Before I step into it and raise it up over my big butt by the suspender straps.

Unlike the original trilogy costumes where you had an abdominal and back pieces connecting at sides with elastic or strapping, the R1 screen suites and Jimmi’s suites have a combined front and back as single cylinder as you see in the pic. The slash is not functional and my guess is included as a decorative element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, THMAustin said:

The slash is not functional and my guess is included as a decorative element.

I thought it had to be cut out.

From the crl:

"The front edge of the kidney armor is cut approximately 70 degrees and has a small gap between the ab and kidney"

12 hours ago, THMAustin said:

No problem, glad to help. If you magnify the picture you’ll see at the 12 o’clock position there is a gap at the back that is hidden by the back plate that attaches as final step. Before I step into it and raise it up over my big butt by the suspender straps.

Unlike the original trilogy costumes where you had an abdominal and back pieces connecting at sides with elastic or strapping, the R1 screen suites and Jimmi’s suites have a combined front and back as single cylinder as you see in the pic. The slash is not functional and my guess is included as a decorative element.

Thanks. So is the back plate only connected to one side?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 8:36 AM, THMAustin said:

Can you describe your experience in more detail?

The Jim Tripon backarmor is a little more weighted than the front, so it pulls the chest armor up and into my neck, making it uncomfortable. You seem to have managed it pretty well, but it probably helps that you didn't trim the shoulder straps. I ended up trimming mine, but now think that that probably wasn't the best idea.

The Jim Tripon backarmor is a little more weighted than the front, so it pulls the chest armor up and into my neck, making it uncomfortable. You seem to have managed it pretty well, but it probably helps that you didn't trim the shoulder straps. I ended up trimming mine, but now think that that probably wasn't the best idea.

In the end I did trim the straps but I don't experience the problem because my breast plate is weighted down by a speaker and battery I use with the TK TALKIE system.

On 18/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, Parquette said:

Could you use velcro to attach the underside of the chest to the top of the ab? That might stop it pulling up.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you glue the fronts of your shins together completely? Is there enough flex to put them on and take them off? Do you think any reinforcement is needed?

I guess same for the forearms. Did you glue one seem and them velcro for the other? I guess forearms you can sort of slide through and then close, but I'm worried about the shins having enough flex. Or do you slide your calf through and then put on your boots and close the backs?

Im at this point too.  I put clamps on the front to see if there was enough flex to get my leg in.  It worked, but as soon as i took them off i found a small crack right where they flexed.

I'm currently thinking to just use velcro front and back?