A Texas R1TK Build (Jimmi)

2 hours ago, cjkirk11 said:

Awesome, good to see more people on board for the R1TK train lol. Nice title for your post BTW :laugh1:

Following so we can learn from each others progress!

you have the same title... this is going to get confusing

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cjkirk11 said:

Awesome, good to see more people on board for the R1TK train lol. Nice title for your post BTW :laugh1:

Following so we can learn from each others progress!

That's what happens when you get too excited about BBB.  I've been lurking and learning on this site for 6mos but have never been a poster and am finally figuring out how to create, reply and upload etc on the site.  Hopefully my title change will take effect and prevent confusion between our two threads.  

Although it will be slow going due to the nature of my day job  I'll keep my thread updated with my progress.  Very likely I'll be learning from you though so please keep doing the same on your build thread.  

Good luck!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good! We all seem to be getting on at about the same pace lol
Yeah, darthcue appears to have started with building before painting but all in all about the same. I wish you guys were way ahead of me so I could just copy your progress. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, THMAustin said:

Yeah, darthcue appears to have started with building before painting but all in all about the same. I wish you guys were way ahead of me so I could just copy your progress. :)

Same, but I need to have mine done by the end of the month if I can so hopefully we can all learn from each other and get it done quick.

Same, but I need to have mine done by the end of the month if I can so hopefully we can all learn from each other and get it done quick.
You'll definitely pass me, I'm home only 4 days by end of month. I'll be watching your progress.

BTW, really like your idea of using different color primer between coats, I'll have to give that a try.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on my build. I had a deadline mid-month for a neighbor kid's b-day.

First, I have come to the conclusion that in a bad painter especially with a deadline. As a result a went with a slightly weathered look using water and preferred powdered graphite to hide my many mistakes. Simply mist water and and blow graphite into pooled crevices. Rub into areas for more written look. Original in went heavier but pics below 95% has been removed with rough sponge. I like the look so much I'll probably apply again after another, hopefully better, paint job.

I dont have the time to ask each kid's parent for permission to upload their pics here so that is only croppable photo I have.

7c6b287487d9cd09d7775ced345b5e57.jpg

Weathered helmet with some borrowed posts from Black Series.

75d3a9bcc0db7a9946b57ec99602925f.jpg3f3e0eb8b59e74b646618213275f9767.jpg937562c238f419ba4edc23725c7d5eb1.jpg

Bits and pieces
658e6cc127646d575d5f23f7be231602.jpg1a490837a66a3b7dc7c0c36a5ad2f530.jpg4cd281c57353853ece46cda3a8849a43.jpg58461525845caf0a6458b45321c71c64.jpg

Torso strapping with suspenders.
c202242853cd964a04af0d430b474242.jpg

Final note. I'm not yet a member of 501st and this was my first attempt at something approximating a troop. Wow I was unprepared for the reaction from some children. Some pulled at my E-11 and TD and a few punched and kicked me. Apart from this being an example of bad parenting in Texas, has anyone else had similar experience?

In general I found it difficult to converse with the little ones because I'd lose them in the blind spot below me. Thank goodness for Ukwrath's HA system. I heard the kid sneaking up behind me with a tree branch whispering "I'm going to kill the evil Stormtrooper" before he had chance to hit me. I really meant it when I yelled "HALT".

Looks great man!!

I love the strapping you did... did you make it all yourself or use a kit from someone?

As far as kids kicking you and all — yes. It's why we (speaking in a general sense) don't do birthday parties and never do anything with kids around without handlers. You'll learn to play the part though as time goes on; meaning you'll learn to let yourself be intimidating to kids and scare the Rebel out of them. haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluey said:

Looks great man!!

I love the strapping you did... did you make it all yourself or use a kit from someone?

As far as kids kicking you and all — yes. It's why we (speaking in a general sense) don't do birthday parties and never do anything with kids around without handlers. You'll learn to play the part though as time goes on; meaning you'll learn to let yourself be intimidating to kids and scare the Rebel out of them. haha

Thanks Bluey.  I appreciate the compliments and especially the advice.  NO MORE BDAY PARTIES. 

I bought a lot of nylon strapping and snaps then glued with E600 which slightly melts the Flex Seal that I sprayed on the interior for a better hold.  The held up to 45min at 93 degrees and 80% humidity.  They held up better than me in fact.  Two more "troops" in that weather and I'll be down to goal weight. ;)

It looks like you did a really good job.

Any chance of seeing the torso on without the shoulders or chest plate. I'd like to see how it hangs. 

And it looks like a velcro strip on the forearms - are the shins the same?

One last thing - did the lens come with the helmet or did you order that separately?

It looks like you did a really good job.

Any chance of seeing the torso on without the shoulders or chest plate. I'd like to see how it hangs. 

And it looks like a velcro strip on the forearms - are the shins the same?

One last thing - did the lens come with the helmet or did you order that separately?
The torso hangs off the suspenders via snaps front and back. Yes, Velcro used to close forearms and shins which proved to be more than adequate. Finally, yes Jimm includes a green lens that I cut down.