Phoenix Props TLJ Trooper Helmet build

Dday

So As I spoke about in the first look thread, I'll be putting together the TLJ trooper helmets as I did with the TFA helmets.

The way I work is to not rush a product out before it's accurate enough. I'm not interested in getting a product done to capitalize on the craze and cash in with a helmet that needs to be updated multiple times. When I produce this it will be as close as I'm able to get it to screen accurate. I think that right now we have enough details to do this, and I'm planning to be able to offer these helmets towards the end of September, well in time for TLJ premier.

I will also offer these as kits and finished versions, with the same pricing structure as my TFA helmets.

It is very early in the process and I will be posting updates as they come. Currently we're building a new model based on the photos we currently have, the knowledge of the TFA original props and photos we're seen so far from TLJ.

Here are a couple very very first draft, rough shapes.

zlanTRi.jpg

MQm6UyA.jpg

And a little smoother:

x5CZW5v.jpg

More to come as we progress. 

=======================

UPDATE

=====================

YfQ7UYc.jpg

Open offering starting soon, private preorders up at www.phoenixprops.net for a limited discount.

Edited by Dday
  • Like 2

Right on Ben, glad to have you interested! I've learned a lot since I started with my first helmet in TFA, and you'll see this in the resulting TLJ Helmets!

• Like 1

Wonder how many people have seen this post... :D

Here is an image of the progress with some mesh

YeZ6Rwl.jpg

At the moment here are some major changes due:

Nose plate is to deep, need to pull it back up a touch.

Clips need to be flush, not sticking up

Mesh needs to show between the teeth.

Overall still a WIP and I"m open to ANY thoughts on the design, to improve it and ensure it's as accurate as we can get it.

Edited by Dday

Great work so far!

There should be some space left at the mouth corners where the outer teeth and mesh meet.

0kw4O3m.png
The TFA helmet you made had an extruded mesh. I personally think you get a more accurate representation of the mesh flowing under the vented cheeks if the mesh holes are extruded inwards.

Looking at the images. I dont think the greeblies are completely leveled. At most maybe slightly lower.

Edited by Robert P

30 minutes ago, Robert P said:

Great work so far!

There should be some space left at the mouth corners where the outer teeth and mesh meet.

The TFA helmet you made had an extruded mesh. I personally think you get a more accurate representation of the mesh flowing under the vented cheeks if the mesh holes are extruded inwards.

Looking at the images. I dont think the greeblies are completely leveled. At most maybe slightly lower.

Hi Robert!

Yes, these things are something we're working on tweaking. We will give more space between the nose plate and the frown, level out the greeblies, modify the shape of the cheek trap block.

the mesh was done completely different last time, it was modeled as a separate part and added on before molding. It caused a lot of headaches for me and many others. The V2 helmet tackled this better but still wasn't the best solution. This time the mesh is modeled into the helmet and will also flow under the nose plate as the originals did. Since we haven't seen any high res versions of these photos (which is odd, considering the photos of all the face characters and guards recently released), but we have to see if they have followed the same method as last time with the mesh, or if they have a hard line where it ends at the nose plate. We even don't know if the nose plate has the same vents, so hopefully we will get some better photos soon so I can add them into the preprocssing, vs post processing.

Nice update.

7gZ6rNX.jpg

I'm also going to make a special deal for those who have ordered a helmet from me before, a discount once these are up for sale.

• Like 1

eVBKpfH.jpg

Nearly there and done. Going to raise up and uncurve the 4 helmet clips, get it prototyped and ready for casting.

Edited by Dday
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Par_ said:

I feel that the brow is a little too thick, and maybe too much of a curve in the front of the dome?

Can you draw on what you mean by the curve?

For the brow I thought about this a few time myself, but I think it's caused because of the colors and how the red makes the details much more visible where as black tends to disappear. The brow is exactly the same height/thickness as the TFA ones.

Edited by Dday

Brow does look a little wide.

Also on the sides, the cheek/side, the mesh area is not as wide on references I have seen, also the white section is a slightly different angle, tilts more backwards.

Dgw7aJ1.jpg

What jumps at me the most is how straight the nose plate line above the teeth appears to be, and how curvy it looks on your model. That's funny because I did the exact same comment on the "Backstage Props" helmet. I don't know from where it comes, but it seems 3D modelers are all doing the frown quite curved when it seems very straight to me.

The design is finished, the print is done. It's on the way to me in a couple days, so I should have the first casting in about 2-3 weeks max.

YfQ7UYc.jpg

@The5thHorseman good tip. I had the angle changed slightly as you can see in the render to straighten the curve a little. The photos we've seen there is a very small curve but it wasn't as exaggerated as the one I had, so it was changed.

Now it's too late, any changes will be post processing.

I will say this, there are some details that my helmet has that no others currently on the market have. Some details that are barely visible, and some details that are not visible on any photos we have yet, but that I know through "sources" that are there.

If you're interested in being one of the first owners of this helmet, send me a PM.

• Like 1