HOWTO: Post images in threads using Imgur (Easy!)

Ensi

Hi!

Sick of photobucket being a slow, bloated piece of bantha poodoo (that now apparently charges you insane amounts for external hosting)? Wish you could just upload some images to your build thread to show off your sweet-an impolite person testfit of your armor after you've done all the strapping and not use 50% of that time closing popups? FEAR NOT!

PSA: Keep a backup of your images! No one can predict the future, Imgur may not always be around (or may hold your images hostage like Photobucket).

1) CLICK THIS TO GO TO IMGUR.COM (Or you could click the mouse wheel, which opens any link in a new tab)

2) Make an account:

4TpAKqA.jpg

3) Fill in your stuff or use Facebook/Google whatever:

aj4JRrl.jpg

4) Go to your images:

teWJ86H.png

5) Find your awesome picture:

vAlcreB.jpg

6) Drag and drop your awesome picture right onto Imgur (or use CTRL C+V):

sQVDApg.jpg

7) Click your newly uploaded picture:

JuyaNJN.jpg

8) Click the Copy button on the BBCode section:

FBjMgUu.jpg

It will flash green and stuff, welcome to the future!

oyeahx2.jpg

R78WCAd.jpg

hwNdpqS.jpg

This baby's almost ready for paint!

Pretty painless! It also has albums, ability to auto-resize, you can even select several pictures from your folders and just drag them all onto Imgur.

Pictures are hosted on imgur, and you are merely linking to them by posting them using this method. If you remove it from imgur, it will be removed from anywhere else you posted it using the link.

Here's what all the sections do:

• Image Link: Links to the image, but on Imgur. [EXAMPLE]
  • Direct Link: Links directly to the image, and nothing but the image. [EXAMPLE]
  • Markdown Link: Formatting for Reddit comments, disregard this one.
  • HTML: For embedding your picture onto your website. HTML Code.
  • BBCode: For embedding your picture onto forums (like FISD and 99% of all other forums).
  • Linked BBCode: Same as above but with a clickable picture that leads to the picture on Imgur. [Example below, click it!]

hwNdpqS.jpg

HOW TO RESIZE YOUR PHOTOS FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE/CAMERA IF YOU HAVE BANTHA POODOO INTERNET CONNECTION (WINDOWS ONLY):

If you're like me, you have a sub-par internet connection and a "regular" smartphone. Smartphones takes pictures with a large file size and it is not optimal for us with a bad connection wanting to upload it for web viewing.

moENyH9.png

3.5mb takes a long time to upload, so let's shrink those files while still keeping it high quality for the web.

1) Open up the pic in MS Paint

Right clicking the image and clicking edit should open up the selected pic in Paint. If you highlight multiple images and do this, it should open an instance of paint for every selected pic.

3PzJnO1.png

2) Resize in Paint

Click the "resize" button in MS Paint.

Qv7NnTw.jpg

You'll see this:

9n6av7v.jpg

Click TAB once and it should highlight the number, making you able to type into the field. I usually resize my pics from my Samsung S8 by 40-50%.

hMN28XE.jpg

Press OK (or just hit enter) and it should resize.

Now you can go to File->Save/Save As.. or simply just press CTRL+S to overwrite and save to the file you opened.

TxLajc8.png

Now it only takes a few seconds to upload a picture, instead of a minute. Time saved that you can use on removing excess E6000 glue from your coverstrips :dancing-trooper:

If you have any questions i'll do my best to answer them. Ensi out!

Edited by Ensi
  • Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Since we've been linking to this HOWTO a lot lately, I would like to add this:

PSA: Keep a backup of your images! No one can predict the future, Imgur may not always be around (or may hold your images hostage like Photobucket).

That is all.

21 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Since we've been linking to this HOWTO a lot lately, I would like to add this:

That is all.

Good point, added!

Updated thread with 2 new pictures to match Imgur's updated front page.

Also added section on resizing photos before upload, to cut down on upload time if you have a subpar internet connection.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a howto for apple phones. Imgur doesn’t let me upload a photo (lets be honest...I probably just can’t figure it out) to the forum. I can post a link to the Imgur photo(s) but trying to send the actual photo never seems to work. I’ve been having to email myself and choose the lowest quality then save the photos and choose those to post on the forum (PITA). And they come across very low quality. There has GOT to be an easier way. HELP!!

• 6 months later...

One important thing:  If you post your photo(s) here on the FISD using imgur, you must leave them in your Gallery.   If you delete them from your Gallery, they can/will disappear from here as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Tip for posting from a mobile device because the imgur app won't give you a bbcode: 

1. Start your post. When you're ready to add a photo, type followed by a single space.

2. Go to imgur and pull up the desired photo. Use the share button on the desired photo to get the link.

3. Return to your paste and delete the period the system inserted. Add a space between the img tag you created earlier and the photo link you're pasting in from imgur.

It'll look something like this:

https://i.imgur.com/12345S.jpg

FWIW, the discussion board doesn't seem to recognize the link if you don't put the space between the link and the

Edited by tk-roamer
Provide tips on posting from a mobile device.