Making armor "thicker?"

I've got a set of Anovos coming in the mail. I'm going for troopability and longevity over hyper screen accuracy. That being said, is there any way to make the armor "thicker?"
I'm thinking along the lines of spraying a rubberized coating [or something along those lines] on the insides of the armor pieces to hopefully give them a bit more density and durability. Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by Redheadmetalhead

2 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

People do that for their helmets, like a plasti-dip, but I've never done it myself.  

Me neither, never understood the reasoning behind it and to be honest I don't think it will help the Anovos armor.

We are getting reports of the ANOVOS not holding up sufficiently over time, lots of stress cracks.  I'm guessing this is the reason why?

8 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

We are getting reports of the ANOVOS not holding up sufficiently over time, lots of stress cracks.  I'm guessing this is the reason why?

That is confirmed, I've worn my ST twice and the shoulder plates are cracked. Plastic coat may work but to be honest rubberized cement or similar in high prone cracking areas would be best. If someone is willing to coat the inside of their armor and document the journey, who's to argue.

Is Anovos armor truly that thin?  I've never seen anything other than the helmet in person.

I'm downright mean with some of my armor pieces and other than the occasional scuff I've never had a crack or break.

There are a few in my Squad that have had problems with Anovos kits cracking in certain areas.  When I built mine, I reinforced the areas that I saw this was happening in (mainly the chest and back pieces) with extra ABS scraps.  No problems yet, but then again I have only used that set a few times.

I'm not sure if Plasti-Dip would be rigid enough to reinforce it enough to make a difference.  

I've done 50+ troops in my Anovos TK, no issues with cracking at all.  One of my Garrison mates has the Anovos TX, and after 4 troops his shoulder straps were completely cracked.

Depending on the size of the Trooper, and the way they treat their kit, I think the white ABS is pretty flexible and durable.  Their black ABS is not good.

20 hours ago, Daetrin said:

People do that for their helmets, like a plasti-dip, but I've never done it myself.  

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

There are a few in my Squad that have had problems with Anovos kits cracking in certain areas.  When I built mine, I reinforced the areas that I saw this was happening in (mainly the chest and back pieces) with extra ABS scraps.  No problems yet, but then again I have only used that set a few times.

I'm not sure if Plasti-Dip would be rigid enough to reinforce it enough to make a difference.  

I was thinking more of a rubberized undercoating for use on vehicle undercarriages. Plastidip seems more useful for the helmets. 

4 hours ago, daryldoak said:

I've done 50+ troops in my Anovos TK, no issues with cracking at all.  One of my Garrison mates has the Anovos TX, and after 4 troops his shoulder straps were completely cracked.

Depending on the size of the Trooper, and the way they treat their kit, I think the white ABS is pretty flexible and durable.  Their black ABS is not good.

I don't expect to be playing football or doing MMA training in my armor. So, assuming I take care of this expensive plastic, is it safe to say that it won't crack? Or is it more of a "when" vs "if?" 

9 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Paper thin in some areas

Do you know which areas happen to be problem areas? I want to reinforce any areas known to be thin or crack before I start trooping.

I guess I was asking how to make the armor more durable and longer lasting. It's a pretty sizeable investment of money and time, so I don't want it falling apart and cracking within 19 seconds of trooping in it. I'd like this to be my main trooping TK while I build other armor sets. If ANOVOS quality is bad, I don't want to buy from them again when I decide to build a TD and finish my TB. 

I think experiences will vary.  My ANOVOS armor is over a year old with 32 troops in and it still looks as good as new.  No cracks or damage anywhere.  I assure you that I'm not babying it at all, a solid mix of indoor, outdoor, short, and long troops.  I think as with anything, build it well and take care of it and it will hold up.  Again, just my experience but I hope you have a similar one.   

2 hours ago, Redheadmetalhead said:

Do you know which areas happen to be problem areas? I want to reinforce any areas known to be thin or crack before I start trooping.
I guess I was asking how to make the armor more durable and longer lasting. It's a pretty sizeable investment of money and time, so I don't want it falling apart and cracking within 19 seconds of trooping in it. I'd like this to be my main trooping TK while I build other armor sets. If ANOVOS quality is bad, I don't want to buy from them again when I decide to build a TD and finish my TB. 

The thin areas are mainly contained to the return edges but I've built a few of these now and there's no rhyme or reason as to which areas exactly. This also goes for the cracking but may differ between owners as mentioned above. To be honest most armor will crack eventually. some before others. The ole saying you get what your pay for rings very true here. It would be safe to say the majority of the Anovos owners purchased theirs at the introductory cost of $350. At that price it was worth it. At the current retail price there are several other manufactures with more durable armor available. You can find them under the "Vetted" list in the "Armor and where to find it" section.

• Like 1

You definitely want to try and reinforce certain pieces on the Anovos armor. Having done several troops in Anovos Armor. The parts that seem to need reinforcement in my opinion are the Shoulder Straps. Even though they are not supposed to bear a load . They are supposed to free float without actually attaching to the back armor. These are still too thin and rigid, they really need to be reinforced. Very easy to crack. 

Other areas,

Butt, Shoulders, and Front of Chest and Top Back piece.

All very small stress cracks, but definitely worth looking at.  I had a feeling the shoulder straps would crack easily. I preemptively reinforced the straps with extra abs. Here is a picture.  The other small cracks I have just put a dab of SuperGlue behind them and it has seemed to fix the problem. The Butt plate is the part that I'm having the most problem with. It has cracked in several places. I will be reinforcing mine very soon with some sort of epoxy and fabric tape combination.  Lastly the Helmet does have some really thin areas. I went ahead and reinforced parts with extra ABS. I'll try to post some pics.

Shoulder Straps - Reinforced

To make this - Cut paper to fit inside the straps. Use the paper as templates for the ABS pieces to fit inside the straps. Then heat up the ABS reinforcement strip in boiling water and bend to the same shape as the shoulder straps. Once you are happy with the shape and fit. Glue with E6000 into the shoulder strap. 

KK0mzTQ.jpg

XcPxrad.jpg

Edited by TomsSound
  • Like 3

I had some cracks at several areas of my Anovos armor. I reinforced the area by laminating thin stripes of canvas with E6000 at these areas. That worked well so fare. 

Cheers

Christian

• Like 1