Deathtrooper E-11D Blaster

Justinian

For my next project, I will be working on the Death Trooper E-11D blaster from Rogue One. I had some amazing help from DDay in getting the ball rolling and printing it out. All of the parts have been sent to me to be cleaned up, assembled and molded. This is an SLA print, and it is very clean and super detailed. But as with any print, it is never 100% perfect.

Here are all of the printed parts layed out. Several parts needed duplicates, so I will have to make some quick temporary molds for those.

IMG_3009_zpsmw8yvwde.jpg

And here is a rough assembly of most of the parts.
IMG_3042_zpsb0noo43y.jpg

There are several places that need to be filled in and tweaked before this can be molded. Trying to figure out where each part went was quite a bit of work. Many of the smaller parts will be combined together, to make molding fewer parts, and to make final assembly much easier. I'm hoping this project will come together fairly quick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, tydirium1 said:

Nice work. Looking real good.

Thanks!

Bit of an update. I could only find the screw for the grip in a bare metal look, so I had to powder coat them in a matte black finish.

IMG_3171_zpswxwpxusc.jpg

IMG_3173_zpse3rrgfm2.jpg

Next was to cut all of the steel rods for the butt stock. This should get me through a few kits.

IMG_3172_zpss1pv1hmd.jpg

I also did some brainstorming on the best method to get them black. Paint would work, but would scratch off over time, and powder coating these would be a pain. Then I had the idea to gun blue them. I opted to go with the heat and oil method.

So I fired up my flamethrower propane torch, and heated the rod up until it was almost red hot. It was very bright outside, so it was hard to see the flame, but it was hot. Looking back, I probably should have been wearing gloves.

IMG_3174_zps08eqorcp.jpg

Once it was hot enough, I dunked it in some old motor oil from my car. The smell was fantastic. lol

IMG_3175_zpshuxrcue1.jpg

When it came out it was all black.

IMG_3176_zpsh6gwtlyc.jpg

It seems to be quite durable, and it should protect the surface from rust. And if it does ever start to wear off, it will have a very natural worn out gun part look.

More updates very soon with my finished blaster....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

Is there a thread in the technique of moulding? I am very new. I am trying to understand, when you have print the 3D files. Why did you make a mold? What kind of material you use make the mold? What kind of material for the blaster?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, Along said:

Hi there,

Is there a thread in the technique of moulding? I am very new. I am trying to understand, when you have print the 3D files. Why did you make a mold? What kind of material you use make the mold? What kind of material for the blaster?

I'm sure there is a thread on molding somewhere. I learned everything just by experimenting and doing it over and over until it worked well. the 3D print is a good place to start, but prints are not usually the most durable final products. I make the molds out of a silicone rubber, and make copies out of urethane resin. The urethane resin is very durable and easy to work with. Once you have the molds, you can make copies relatively fast and can sell kits to recover cost.

• Like 1