Rare earth magnets

Looking for some input on what size magnet width and magnet thickness works best with armor assembly and how many. I've seen different posts on quantity but not to much on the other measurements. Thanks in advance everyone!

5 hours ago, TK-34288 said:

I've used all different ones. I like the 3/4" round by 1/8" thick magnets the best.

Agreed. N42 or greater strength. I'd go with 50 of them since the more you have, the faster you can build, and you will need spares since they have a tendency to fly together and shatter. 

• Like 1

I recommend using the 20 mm x 3mm size, Bryon.  Anything smaller/thinner and you may have to double up on them.  I am including a link (below) on where to get them.  Also, here are a few hints when using them:

1.  First, these things are CRAZY strong., so keep them well separated during use.  They will actually jump several inches to reconnect, and can pinch the crap out of your fingers if they get caught in between them.

2.  To separate them, slide them apart.with your thumb.  You can break off a fingernail if you try to pry them.

3.  Since they are not made from solid metal, they can (and will) shatter if dropped or allowed to "jump" too far to connect.

4.  Cover each one in blue painter's tape or the like.  This will keep them from scratching your armor.

5.  When removing them after the glue has dried... slide them off.

Like Brian mentioned, you really can't have too many.  For the ends of the cover strips, you can use clamps, but for the centers these type of magnets are really the only way to go.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 4

You use E6000. The reason why you need the magnets is that E6000 takes 24 hours to cure, and the magnets are there to hold the long seams in place during the cure process.

Thanks everyone for the replies...and thanks Joseph for the link...with BBB day getting closer its time to start getting the last remaining tools so I can hit the ground running :)

• 1 month later...

I'm working on my build right now and I'm really liking the bar magnets. After ordering one set I just ordered another.

Here's a pic. I didn't include the link because this particular seller is out of stock.

562ebc022a27578ff33e05adc348626c.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, Khazara said:

I'm working on my build right now and I'm really liking the bar magnets. After ordering one set I just ordered another.

Here's a pic. I didn't include the link because this particular seller is out of stock.

562ebc022a27578ff33e05adc348626c.jpg

I got some of these things as well, they seem solid. I'm actually looking to use them in holding my FOTK TD on and things like that. Crossing my fingers this works.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Jeff Duncan said:

I got 20 of the 1.26” x 1/8” N52 ones and nearly took my fingers off when they flew together. Now they’re in one big stack that I can’t seem to get apart at all. What a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to carefully slide them off.  I recommend using work gloves.  Read thru the threads and Joseph’s info about handling magnets.

you already bought them.  Might as well try to use them.  They can help tremendously in compressing the middle portions of your legs and arms.