Help shimming shins

I have tried looking for answers to this on the forum but either due to not looking in the correct places or because of forum fatigue from finishing my armor I cannot for the life of me find anything on this.  I have finished my whole suit of armor and can put it on, but after trying to walk in it I have found that I cut my left shin too small.  I’ve been trying to figure out a good way to shim the back of my left shin in a way that will not show but have not been brave enough to try it without asking for help.  Any suggestions on the best way to shim the back of the calves?

So I don't have any gap right now.  However as I hope you can see in the pictures, it is so tight around my leg that there is no room to move.  Also my sniper plate pushes back against my knee when my leg is anywhere near straight.  This is not only uncomfortable but also seems to slip under my thigh in the limited walking I have done in the suit.  So I was planning on widening the top of the calves to adjust for this.

20170709_104209.thumb.jpg.7d4880221a6380893647cb462af87d41.jpg

I know that the top of the cover strip is coming off and needs to be reglued.  More pictures below.

I would start by removing more of the return edge at the top of the shin armor. That will give you more room up top. As for the sniper plate, I find that a bit of solid foam glued in behind it helps keep it from slipping under the thigh.

As for photos, until we get Tapatalk back the best thing to do is upload your photos to an online photo sharing site (Flickr, etc.) and post the links in your thread with image tags on either side of it. You do so by clicking on the "Insert other media" pulldown and select "Insert image from URL"

Use an online photo host, imgur is quite good, once uploaded just copy the photo links into your thread, we no longer need to add the img tags to links ;) 

The problem with your knee plate digging into your knee is because it is not fitted properly. The plate wants to be flat against the joining strip following the red lines in the image, not angled inward following the yellow lines like you have it.

20170709_104209_jpg_c7190510e006394509e7dcbddbb34ab2.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 2:54 AM, troopermaster said:

The problem with your knee plate digging into your knee is because it is not fitted properly. The plate wants to be flat against the joining strip following the red lines in the image, not angled inward following the yellow lines like you have it.

20170709_104209_jpg_c7190510e006394509e7dcbddbb34ab2.jpg

Paul hit the nail on the head here.  It needs to be tilted forward and aligned better.  Once that is done then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.  If that doesn't help then you can glue some excess ABS pieces together and add them to the top of the shin.  After that mount the sniper plate to that.  It won't sit flush with your shin and stick out a little bit but it won't get caught under your thigh if you're still having a problem.  You have to make sure your armor is comfortable first.  Then as accurate as you want it second.  Good luck!