Broken images from photobucket

Locitus

As many of you have noticed already there are a lot of broken images on the forum right now, due to PhotoBucket not allowing 3rd party hotlinking any longer, unless the account owner pays $399 in an annual fee. Well, we are not alone in that matter.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

Loved this quote: "You have no guarantee they will be in business... in a month the way this disaster is rolling out."

Really curious to see if others will follow, or if photobucket goes down now...

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree, but that is a massive jump, from free to $40 per month. Maybe they should of started off with easing us in and slowly increasing the price annually. No way I am paying $40 a month. I lost quite a few personal, very detailed build threads on clonetroopers and BHG forums. Sad, but I deleted all my photos from photobucket and closed my account.

• 5 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, TK bondservnt said:

photobucket just rasomwared all your photos.

Yup they did.  Right now I'm in the slow process of trying to find all of my pictures and move them to imgur so I can repost them all on here.  It's been a huge pain!

Ahh, now it all makes sense. I noticed most of the RPF's images had gone down and wondered if it was that age-old expired image thing at first.

Considering the swiftness of this change and the amount asked for, I wonder if the financial situation at photobucket has become slightly desperate? I would have thought their ad revenue would have been substantial.

Edited by SWBorth

• 1 month later...

For the disappointed Photobucket users which had their images missing "thanks" to their new policy change, there seems to be a solution in the form of an add-on for Mozilla and Chrome which makes the Photobucket photos visible again:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=userprofile

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It will almost be impossible for me to go and update 12 years or so posts with new photo links. And there is no way I’m forking out 400 dollars a year. Thanks photofrackwit :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• 1 year later...

I think after 2 years, if people haven't fixed their threads, they are not going to now. Is it worthwhile for the webmaster, or whoever, to go through all the pinned posts and unpin them. As an example, the first 4 posts in 'ANH Build Thrreads' all have no photos available to view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

I think after 2 years, if people haven't fixed their threads, they are not going to now. Is it worthwhile for the webmaster, or whoever, to go through all the pinned posts and unpin them. As an example, the first 4 posts in 'ANH Build Thrreads' all have no photos available to view.

Actually there are some pretty detailed images although now broken which would be completely lost, it was an idea to contact those who originally posted the images to see if they could update or pass on the images so we could ourselves, hopefully this can in implemented in 2020 

30 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Actually there are some pretty detailed images although now broken which would be completely lost, it was an idea to contact those who originally posted the images to see if they could update or pass on the images so we could ourselves, hopefully this can in implemented in 2020 

Yeah exactly. At the time they were well worth being pinned. But if the authors aren't willing to fix, there's no point having them there. There could be others now worthy of taking their place, or simply remove to allow more 'page 1 access' to the regular threads.

7 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Yeah exactly. At the time they were well worth being pinned. But if the authors aren't willing to fix, there's no point having them there. There could be others now worthy of taking their place, or simply remove to allow more 'page 1 access' to the regular threads.

I doubt the authors know or have even been contacted, something I've brought up previously. It will hopefully be followed up next term, elections are just around the corner, so we'll have to wait and see what the next command staff have in mind and what they have on their agenda foe the year.

• Like 1

Photobucket is having issues atm and are working to rectify the problem.
Some images will return for those that have paid accounts.
Once they have that sorted then we can look again at what needs fixing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
17 minutes ago, Predator4Golf said:

New here, I take it the photobucket fiasco is why the CRL link to photo galleries show nothing? 

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 2.27.38 PM.png

No there are no "galley for this costume" it's a generic link added to all CRL's you will find it doesn't work for most CRL's.

Gallery link on our forum is here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

• Like 1