Post Upgrade Niggles

First: Thanks for the hard work you've put in to upgrade the site.  I am sure this was far from a trivial amount of work.

I've noticed a couple of issues, which I've no doubt you're already aware of but always worth rasing a ticket:

• Tapatalk isn't logging me in
  • The "thumbs up" function seems to be missing.

If anything else pops up I'll add to this.

The "like" option was available last night when we did the initial testing before opening up to the public. I'll take a look.

As for tapatalk, I think Eric will look into that later today. It's not native to the forum, so it needs to be managed separately. 

• Like 1

This new skin is impressive! I must say I like a lot how clean it looks. Even though I gotta confess the first thing I did was to look for the "reference pictures" section, which I gladly found safe and sound :).

On my side here's a little issue I noticed: the "Change Background image" (the little brush next to the "notification" and "message" links) does not seem to work. When I click it shows the different shades available for the background, but clicking on any of them doesn't change a thing.

Not sure if I had them before but the centurion badge nd attaché badge is missing from the left hand profile. Some people have them but I seem to be missing mine. Minor issue , sorry. 

24 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

Not sure if I had them before but the centurion badge nd attaché badge is missing from the left hand profile. Some people have them but I seem to be missing mine. Minor issue , sorry. 

I see them just fine.

Capture.PNG

Thanks. Strange I see the centurion one now. Didnt appear before.

Sorry One other question, I see the badges but what are the stripe badges for? You have a gray blue white bar and another centurion one with stars. Sorry never actually knew what these are awarded for. Just curious, never saw any post that explains all the things that appear in post profiles. Or is there a post to read about this? Sorry not a tech question.

30 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

Thanks. Strange I see the centurion one now. Didnt appear before.

Sorry One other question, I see the badges but what are the stripe badges for? You have a gray blue white bar and another centurion one with stars. Sorry never actually knew what these are awarded for. Just curious, never saw any post that explains all the things that appear in post profiles. Or is there a post to read about this? Sorry not a tech question.

The grey/blue is an achievement award, and and the red/yellow with stars is for being on staff (or having been), with more stars for more years.

3 minutes ago, micromouse said:

Are you planing to map old links over to the new? Many many results on google link directly to the old forum links and give a 404 on the new site

Wayne

Got any examples? The URL scheme in use now is  the same as it  has been for a number of years.

Just now, Weylyn said:

Not sure if I am blind, but can't find the mail button. 

What mail button? The one to contact staff? We haven't added that back yet. There's still many small things to fix, and not all of them will come back either, as we might decide to scrap some things.

2 minutes ago, Locitus said:

What mail button? The one to contact staff? We haven't added that back yet. There's still many small things to fix, and not all of them will come back either, as we might decide to scrap some things.

Where we get messages, I found it. I am blind or the perfect trooper and can't hit it since I did not see it lol. Now I feel like the crazy church lady from Saturday Night Live " never mind"

on a positive, great job guys

Yeah, like the Like button.  People click it, but it's otherwise not used for anything.  I'd like to turn it back off (I was the one who turned it off).  For instance, we don't in any way surface the like information or sort or use that data.  Other than giving people something to click on, for a forum like ours it's pretty useless, compared to say a purely social forum.

• Like 1

Just now, Weylyn said:

Where we get messages, I found it. I am blind or the perfect trooper and can't hit it since I did not see it lol. Now I feel like the crazy church lady from Saturday Night Live " never mind"

on a positive, great job guys

Top right corner, 3rd icon from the right. Will get a red bubble on it when you have a new message.

2 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Yeah, like the Like button.  People click it, but it's otherwise not used for anything.  I'd like to turn it back off (I was the one who turned it off).  For instance, we don't in any way surface the like information or sort or use that data.  Other than giving people something to click on, for a forum like ours it's pretty useless, compared to say a purely social forum.

I use it a pretty decent amount, sort of "I've read this I agree/like/approve but don't really have anything to add or say further".  Beats the bad old days of +1 posts.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I use it a pretty decent amount, sort of "I've read this I agree/like/approve but don't really have anything to add or say further".  Beats the bad old days of +1 posts.

That's how I use it too. Originally I was on the other side and found it sort of unnecessary, but I've come around on the matter since we added it.

Edited by Locitus
  • Like 1

Fresh new look... love it..

Thank you Eric and all the staff admin, I know it takes a lot of effort and hard work to do this.

Question :

"Theme" options bottom left before "Contact Us", Is it deliberately enabled?

1 hour ago, swibowoj said:

Fresh new look... love it..

Thank you Eric and all the staff admin, I know it takes a lot of effort and hard work to do this.

Question :

"Theme" options bottom left before "Contact Us", Is it deliberately enabled?

I believe it's hard to remove. Don't bother with it. The default skin is boring.

2 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

I like the "like" function as well.  Just like Chris said, to me it's like a yes I agree.  Good Point.  I concur.  Well done. 

I get that people click it, but what I'm asking is, the data that is collected, it seems it is never used.  We don't do anything with your "likes", there is no list of "most liked content today", or "top liked posts of all time", or "trending likes".  It's not like Facebook.  

IOW, what I'm seeing is that people are "liking" stuff for themselves, but no one is paying attention. It's like in the series Lost where the guy is clicking on the keys, but no one is paying attention anymore.

So aside from giving you the "liker" a feel good moment, it seems a pretty useless feature is my point.

19 minutes ago, ComradeDave said:

I also can't see my attache badge... 

Do you mean your group? It is underneath your picture where it says "Imperial Attache[TK] and then you also have an Imperial Attache group icon, so you are doubly listed. Or, do you mean your Attache Award for outstanding service?

11 hours ago, Locitus said:

The grey/blue is an achievement award, and and the red/yellow with stars is for being on staff (or having been), with more stars for more years.

Thanks for explaining what they are! Cheers! You are a four star general! Cool!