Brittany's Anovos ANH Stunt Build

kittyvangogh

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the week finishing up all of the small details on the armor.

I used leftover material from the inner coverstrips to make reinforcing strips for the shoulder straps.

35692411133_17fd0002ea.jpg   36104372370_e1b066a1cb.jpg

Attached the sniper plate to the left shin.  I glued the center first, clamped it in place, and then glued the sides.

36455258486_90f5c61a25.jpg

Helmet is finally finished.  I installed the new lens from TrooperBay (much clearer and darker than the Anovos supplied one), trimmed reinstalled the frown mesh, installed padding, and mounted the fans (from Henry's Helmet Fans), battery, and wireless mic.  The wiring is hidden with some plastic wire wrap I picked up at Harbor Freight.

35692447363_36e6489c44.jpg

Glued elastic into the shoulder bells.

35692456393_eba75175e8.jpg

For the thermal detonator I started by installing the end caps (lightly sanded the edges of the tube and heated the caps with a hair dryer).  I then centered the panel and glued.  I then mounted the metal clips, replacing the Anovos screws with #6 slotted pan-head machine screws (taken from an electrical outlet cover from Home Depot and painted black)--the first photo shows a comparison of the screws (Anovos on the right, replacements on the left). 

36104369220_bb676fec72.jpg  36104365440_6288809ded.jpg  35692399953_d90829b375.jpg  

The Anovos drop boxes came unassembled.  I started by mounting the elastic loop to attach the drop boxes to the belt (used E-6000 and clamped), and then glued the front and back pieces together (taped instead of clamped).

36333550102_ab41fa6a90.jpg

I stared the week feeling like I was only 50% finished, but I'm probably closer to 90% !  I began installing snap "plates" using the BillHag charts.  I installed as many plates as I could, but eventually ran out of magnets and clamps.

36332949132_11b17cb44e.jpg  35666304314_0632771798.jpg  

I already had the snap plates prepared (this was done while I was waiting on the armor to be delivered).  The double plates are mounted in 2" strips of nylon, with 1" spacing between centers of the snaps, and the single plates are 1" pieces of nylon with the snap centered (I bought a cheap soldering iron to make the holes in the nylon).  Edges of the cut nylon were sealed with a lighter to prevent fraying.  Snaps are from Tandy (Line 24), and were installed with rubber washers for a better fit with the nylon "plates" (I tested plates with and without the rubber washers, and the washers added a noticeable amount of strength to the setting--no worry of the snaps pulling out of the nylon).  Washers can be found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1IZF28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

36364894111_d807597b76.jpg   

I've gotten a lot of comments on how organized everything is, and figured I should share my methods.  I am not an organized person, and I knew with how much is involved with this build, I needed to do something to stay on track.  The solution -- TRELLO!  I've included some screenshots, but basically you can create visual lists and organize everything (To-Do, In Progress, Completed, etc) and move items around as you work on them.  

36455944396_0095eaedb6_c.jpg 

Even better, you can create checklists within the individual items.  I used the checklists to copy and paste the CRL requirements for each item.  I could then check stuff off as I completed it, look through the checklists when I wasn't sure what to do next, and I would have the list up anytime I was working on a piece.  The software can take a little getting used to, but it's free and useful for other things as well (I've used it for both work and personal projects).  

36455943666_68cc21ec2a_c.jpg 

This weekend I hope to finish installing the last of the snap plates, and begin sewing the elastic for the actual strapping (and setting more snaps).  I have already marked the locations of the Centurion-level hardware required on the Ab, Cod, and kidneys, so I hope to install all of those hardware pieces as well.  

Edited by kittyvangogh
  • Like 1

lol! Trello! I thought I was the only one planning their build this way although my board isn't nearly as well organised as yours (or my build advanced). Great job and will certainly be improving my board! So inspired after seeing this!!

Part of my board below (as much as can be seen on an iPhone screen )

42586f0246654cb1d1f1d52d3d09dc70.jpg

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, tarok said:

lol! Trello! I thought I was the only one planning their build this way emoji4.png although my board isn't nearly as well organised as yours (or my build advanced). Great job and will certainly be improving my board! So inspired after seeing this!!

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk

:D  There are dozens of us!  It's been super helpful for staying organized, and gave me something to do while playing the waiting game with Anovos.  

• Like 1

All of the Level 3 hardware has been set, the belt assembled, and the elastic strapping is installed -- meaning that the armor assembly is DONE!  

36780691795_762f5b4a03.jpg

I'll be spending the rest of today sanding sharp edges, cleaning off excess glue, and polishing.  Every surface of my work room is coated in ABS dust, so just a friendly reminder to stay safe when building.

36780692845_e45996f498.jpg

Hoping to get photos tonight and submit!

• Like 2

This...build...is EPIC!!!

The attention to detail is rocking Brittany - and just an absolutely awesome build thread moving along here - totally subscribed!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...