MTK Shorty ANH build

Aeosyn

I'm super nervous and excited!! 

I'm 5'2 145 lbs so I'll have a long adventure of cutting and shaping ahead. 

I've started on minor obvious cuts so far but am getting more and more hesitant the further I get. 

I still have to order boots and under armor so I don't plan on doing more precise measurements until I get those in. 

Tools so far: 

Dremel 4000

Plastic tarp (inside shop)

gloves, safety glasses & mask

I believe I've decided to work bottom up. 

Starting on shins then thighs... etc. 

leaving bucket for last. 

I'm saving the scrap ABS for ABS paste should it be necessary. 

I also plan on making magnetic pieces where I can. 

:smiley-sw013:

initial question: 

What's the measurements on the return edge? 

particularly for the shins, is there a general rule of thumb? 

Good question Alicia, there is no return edge on bottom of shin. That way it doesn't rub up against boot. Plus the bottom will be the end you trim if you need to shorten them. Which I'm guessing you will. For the top I'd stick with a 5-6mm edge.Good Luck Future Trooper!

Good luck on the build. While not 100% required, return edges help give the armor the appearance of thickness. I'm linking a couple of threads they may help with return edges. I'd go with an average of 5-6mm on the armor with no return on edges on the bottom of the shins or on the wrist. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31930-return-edges/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20366-size-of-return-edges-on-the-chest-ab-and-kidney-plates/

Also, I'd encourage you to try to build your armor up to centurion spec from the get go. It's doesn't take that much more work or money, just a little research. 

Good luck on the build. While not 100% required, return edges help give the armor the appearance of thickness. I'm linking a couple of threads they may help with return edges. I'd go with an average of 5-6mm on the armor with no return on edges on the bottom of the shins or on the wrist. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31930-return-edges/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20366-size-of-return-edges-on-the-chest-ab-and-kidney-plates/

Also, I'd encourage you to try to build your armor up to centurion spec from the get go. It's doesn't take that much more work or money, just a little research. 

Very helpful! 

I do hope to achieve Centurion and will do what I can during the build, but for now, I don't have any game plan for the e-11, but all the other aspects I'll incorporate. 

I'm using Crickets guide as a primary since I'll be doing a lot of the hot water bending & shaping as well as having to reform returns on certain pieces. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I haven't made too much progress. Most of the excess ABS is off the arms and leg pieces. Haven't touched the abs or chest yet. I'm still making obvious cuts and haven't got to sizing yet. I still need to order boots and under armor. Recommendations are welcome but I'm not asking. I know there are a lot of resources for research and I just haven't had the time lately. 

I'm waiting for an armor party to get too close to the return trims so I don't over do it. But I think I got close here... 

received_10209888749790740.jpeg

Edited by Aeosyn

Welcome to the FISD, Alicia!  Good to see you're on your way slicing and dicing plastic.  Fun, isn't it?  ;)

Based on your pic above, it looks like that shin could have a little bit more removed from the return.  Hard to say with the lighting and all.  I think I can see the ridge where you should be cutting on the top left part of the shin, but, again, could be a lighting issue.  If it's 5mm wide on those returns, then you're good to go.

Like Justin said, build to Centurion!  It's not that much work to incorporate it into your build.  About the e-11, I picked up a Hyperfirm for Centurion, but I troop with my Hasbro because it's got lights and goes pewpewpew.  Still haven't been able to blast anything with it, though.  Hmf.  #troopergoals

Trim the width and length of your shins while wearing your boots.  Boots make a difference in how the shins will eventually fit you.  

And while you can easily fit the thighs to your size, save trimming the thighs down (length) until you've got your torso fully assembled and fit.  I made this mistake of trimming the thighs where I thought they should be (well before I was done with the torso), and they ended up way too short!  Ended up having to purchase another pair.

Good luck with your build!  I'll be following.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 4:53 PM, Cricket said:

Welcome to the FISD, Alicia!  Good to see you're on your way slicing and dicing plastic.  Fun, isn't it?  ;)

Based on your pic above, it looks like that shin could have a little bit more removed from the return.  Hard to say with the lighting and all.  I think I can see the ridge where you should be cutting on the top left part of the shin, but, again, could be a lighting issue.  If it's 5mm wide on those returns, then you're good to go.

Like Justin said, build to Centurion!  It's not that much work to incorporate it into your build.  About the e-11, I picked up a Hyperfirm for Centurion, but I troop with my Hasbro because it's got lights and goes pewpewpew.  Still haven't been able to blast anything with it, though.  Hmf.  #troopergoals

Trim the width and length of your shins while wearing your boots.  Boots make a difference in how the shins will eventually fit you.  

And while you can easily fit the thighs to your size, save trimming the thighs down (length) until you've got your torso fully assembled and fit.  I made this mistake of trimming the thighs where I thought they should be (well before I was done with the torso), and they ended up way too short!  Ended up having to purchase another pair.

Good luck with your build!  I'll be following.   

Aww thanks!! I will take that advice and run with it. I was planning on doing shins > thighs > abs etc and work my way up. But that makes sense to fit the thighs between the shins and abs. 

I do need to order my boots which has been a major part of my delay making progress, they should be coming soon though! 

I read your build so thoroughly, it really made me quite confident to dive right in and cut away. It's awesome that you shared so much of both successes and failures. :D

• Like 1

When it comes to shins, I'd wait until you have your boots and cut and assemble so your shins go over your boots. I made that mistake. I fixed it easily enough, but it was one of those "duh" moments I wish I would have thought about.

Update time! 

So I know it's been awhile, progress is slow. 

I blame it all on not having boots or the proper under armor. I recently received under armor leggings and a top. The leggings fit fine, but the top is way too big. 
That is my biggest delay in the build so far. 

I feel as though I have made all of the large obvious cuts on the suit. (haven't touched the bucket).

All that's left are perfection rounding trimming to detail (and sizing!). 

I'm a little conflicted whether I should do the precision trims for the returns & joins, or why bother if I'm going to have to take it off to size down anyways? 
I'm leaning towards the.. why bother since I'll be sizing down anyways. 

I'll update some before and after pictures here soon. Just as a noob reference.

I did not photo document as well as I had intended. Especially for the shorty size differences.
All the pieces are still full size and all cuts are still rough cuts, no smooth good edges quite yet. 

I just wish I had a side by side comparison's of "out of the box" vs "ready to wear."  oh well... :/
Once the dremmel is going it's hard to remember to stop! 

Perhaps that'll be good to document - post major cut to perfected precision edges. 

Anyways - when I get some pics resized I'll upload. 

TLDR? 

Current status: major cuts done. 
Current delay: need under armor top & boots
Next step: purchase under armor top & boots then get to blue taping the crap out of things for sizing. 

Blue tape.  Make sure you buy more than you think you'll need, then double that. ;)

Good to wait until you've got your all of your properly-fitting under garments and boots first.  It's a waste of time to get the edges all nice, smooth, and properly fitting together only to discover that you need to cut it all down anyways.  Ask me how I know.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress update!! 

I have all the black under armor AND my boots!! :D
I'm just chillin in my underarmor and boots cause, well, it's exciting. 

I won't make a recommendation on the UA cause it's really just a generic brand (one from amazon and one from Gander Mountain). I think it would be best to judge once it's worn in a troop. 

I also went to an armor party where we did major scary cuts that I would not have otherwise done on my own. 
The ab/cod plate was cut in half! I have a measured line where it needs to be glued/ABS pasted back together. 

Recent supply additions: 
Dremel flex shaft for more precision trimming
E6000 

I'm still hesistant on the return edges and how close to get. After looking at someone else's suit at the AP, it turns out I can get A LOT closer than I've been daring too. I went over most pieces and got a little closer but did not sand or straighten edges. I believe this will help size better to have less edge to fight with. 

Here's what we did at the armor party and my boots I just got today!! (size 5 c width haha)

20885035_10210171902189373_1032645045_n.jpg

20915917_10210171902389378_308546447_n.jpg

20864075_10210171902869390_791326395_n.jpg

20840271_10210171903069395_1958662864_n.jpg

• Like 1

I'm starting to doubt which shin is which. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking it or not. I saw on a pinned thread the outside has a more subtle curve and the inside doesn't. But now that I've trimmed the bottom of one (thought to be) pair, I can't tell as easily. So far the left two are together and the right two are together. Is that right? 

IMG_20170817_182729_01-800x555.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know it's been ages but just thought I'd post a quick update. This will also help me get a plan of action going cause when I work on it, I'm back to not knowing where to start. I've skipped logging a lot of the steps. Mainly I was on vacation, then came back from that to hurricane Irma and dealt with that for a month... it's just been busy!! I finally started back on the suit about 3 weeks ago and I've made quite a bit of progress... I can put pieces on!

Arms 

Forearms: done

Biceps: done

Bells: need work

hand plates: not started

Body

Chest: done

back: done

kidney: needs molding to shape - possible cut on sides to bring in

ab: done (except for strapping)

butt: done (except for snaps connecting front to back)

Legs

Shins back needs to be completed, inner cover strips, & knee plate

Thighs: need to complete sizing, front outer & back cover strips, ammo boxes

Accessories

belt - not started

detonator - not started (actually missing the the piece that goes on the middle.. and I got the kit in June. :? should I ask the maker or is there another recommend to get a missing part from?) 

helmet - not started

SO my key struggles... 

1. putting stuff on to measure, tape to hold AND taking decent pictures, hard man... 

2. fitting thighs. I keep trimming and I feel like I'm trimming too much, getting nervous. Mostly from the back cause the top keeps stabbing my butt! so I know it's supposed to be "comfortable," but I'm starting to get a complex (is my butt that big!?)... lol. so a question I have about this... exactly how important is the thigh shape in the back? cause at this point... there's minimal shape, as in the outer thigh curve goes straight to the inner thigh curve and does not "plateau to steeper curve" and if I recreate the curve that goes inward of the thigh, than the thigh might look too low. I'll post pictures when I can... 

3. back body: looks soo bulky to my figure, but I had a scare with a heatgun where I ALMOST ruined the ab plate trying to curve it in more (only saved cause the chest piece covers the damage), so now I'm afraid of it. Rightfully so. I've heard the hot water bath is safer, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Do you really just boil water, pour over armor in the sink? o.O and I'm not sure if that's even the right idea... if I should be bending or trimming more off the sides to fit closer it's a good 2+ish inches from actually resting on my back.

3. cont: Also worried about making the armor too curvy to my female figure. :| so is it better to keep it wide and bulky? or go ahead and curve it in a bit? 

Comments and suggestions are welcome but this is also just meet talking it out. So far I'm just working on strapping so I can wear it in order to get a better idea of what needs fitting. :D

Great to have you back and it sounds like you made alot of progress:) and for your questions, post some pics and we´ll know what to work with,...it`s worth the struggle:smiley-sw013:

And no need to rush, we are here to help whenever YOU are ready:salute:

OK so I got to take a few pics. Ima short and stocky trooper, 5'3 155 lbs. So it's been a weird journey trimming to short but keeping enough for curvy. 

lDXgLXE.jpg

l1d1cZT.jpg

PiiAOi1.jpg

AFYXXnj.jpg

Edited by Aeosyn

Back of thighs look fine..hard to tell for sure when they aren`t fully closed and the buttplate flares out a bit, if you could take pics with it taped together more that would help but all in all I would say it looks just fine - coming together nicely:duim:

Thanks! That gives me a little more confidence for the backs. I think I'll go ahead and glue the cover strips on and continue to size from there.

then keep closing off the pieces and sizing once it's all able to be put on. 

Here's another two pics, just cause I do have some questions about these. The way the sides are taped here, the top overlaps (dotted line - not where I want to cut, but where the overlap occurs) and the bottom fits ok, but it causes the armor to have an angle... is this a problem? It felt fine to wear and that's the best it's looked from the back view, I suppose the alternate fix is to do the heat gun/hot water bath for a slight curve. Not sure if I should cut off the overlap and leave it, or straighten and do shaping/curve. 

Am I over thinking this...? lol

f3HFLj8.jpg?2

here you can see the back of the thighs a bit better with the butt piece taped up to the cod. A proposal about this... the butt plate could possibly come down more as you can see in this pic, the shoulders come up above my actual shoulder. should I cut the kidney? I was really trying to avoid that.. 

d9XjQNR.jpg?2

4 hours ago, Aeosyn said:

causes the armor to have an angle... is this a problem?

If it was then I would be in trouble:smiley-sw013:

dxq0SQMl.jpg

And...the kidney/ab piece are supposed to "butt up" against each other (see photo) there can be a gap (basic "anything goes" EIB no more than 1/2" and Centurion no gap) but overlap is not allowed so either try to realign and see if that helps or some cutting is needed.

It looks like your buttpiece sits where it`s supposed to so I woulden`t lower it...so...in my opinion cutting is the best move and there are some alternatives, now I´m no expert in the matter since I didn`t have to cut my back pieces but it`s about proportion so it might be neccessary to cut a little from each piece...from the your pic it looks like there`s a decent amount that needs to go and I don`t think it will look good just cutting the kidney....check out this thread, if you haven`t already...Cricket is the Queen of resizeing armor and I´m sure she will gladly help if you have questions:)

Keep powering on Alica, you got this!:duim:

13 hours ago, Aeosyn said:

Thanks! That gives me a little more confidence for the backs. I think I'll go ahead and glue the cover strips on and continue to size from there.

then keep closing off the pieces and sizing once it's all able to be put on. 

Here's another two pics, just cause I do have some questions about these. The way the sides are taped here, the top overlaps (dotted line - not where I want to cut, but where the overlap occurs) and the bottom fits ok, but it causes the armor to have an angle... is this a problem? It felt fine to wear and that's the best it's looked from the back view, I suppose the alternate fix is to do the heat gun/hot water bath for a slight curve. Not sure if I should cut off the overlap and leave it, or straighten and do shaping/curve. 

Am I over thinking this...? lol

f3HFLj8.jpg?2

The belt might tighten that up, mine flares out at the bottom until I’ve cinched my belt down. If not then you may need to shim.

Thanks for the input! I feel like I can power through and make it happen.

I plan on keeping the length in the kidney and heat bending the shoulders down a little. 

I'll trim the top-side where the kidney meets the ab to reduce the overlap and then create the closure.

I saw on Sha Sha Shu's build thread she used the the split-rivet-inside-of-snap method and I love it for functionality and look, so I'm going to try to recreate that using elastic to hold it together.

I just ordered my belt, neck seal, and holster from trooperbay.com ! 

I watched through trooperbay's videos on the site and it helped a bit to get the right idea for some the accessories like bells and the knee plates.

Though my goal is to have the body & legs COMPLETED by this weekend. It's not too far a stretch, I don't think. 

and by completed I mean the pieces wearable without tape. lol 

Lately I've just reinforced the shins. That was the first piece I glued and the backs are still wide open. they should be finished by now. 

Oh! I was thinking about doing elastic on the shins... It would appear everyone does velcro, bra-hooks and magnets. I originally wanted to do magnets, but don't have the time to dedicate. So now I have velcro and was thinking about reinforcing with elastic. We shall see. 

• Like 1

Ok so, the ab piece is lookin pretty good. I have reinforcements being glued for where the rivets are going. 

I WANTED to also have the cover strips being glued on the back of the thighs, but I came across a crossroads and not sure how to handle it or what to do. 

The strip is way wider than the gap cause the top is about that width and it tapers, so I really can't make the cover strip smaller.

1. All the way down 

2. Above gap (which is how typical suits look less the gap. :| )

3. Above the gap and then cut the "behind the knee curve" - does it have to be a curve? can it looks like an upside down V? 

Q1M8aRh.jpg?1

Cover strip ends at the raised edge as in pic to the right (above gap) and if you plan to cut the back of thighs for mobility in my opinion it looks best to do the cut more to a gradual curve along the entire back section rather than a smaller sharp cut, something like the shin (coulden`t find a good pic of a thigh just now) from the RS suit, hope that helps:) 

A New Hope Sniper Knee Placement LFL Caleb 03

• 2 weeks later...

From the last time I updated the "to-do" list, I've made a lot of progress. 

I'm currently working on the sniper knee/ammo pack accessories. 

Just stopped by online to check placement. The thigh ammo pack didn't go all the way to the back of the side, but only misses by about 1 -1.5 cm. From a couple EIB applications I looked it, it didn't seem to be an issue. 

Arms 

Forearms: done

Biceps: done

Bells: done (?) haven't tried them on or finished strapping

hand plates: completed initial trim

Question: how do people secure the hand plates? Mine are of the non-flexible variety, and I don't want them to HAVE to go on the rubber gloves, I'd like to use generic black gloves if possible for more comfortable trooping. Is it common place to use elastic so they just fit over your palm's regardless of gloves? 

Body

Chest: done

back: needs shoulder reshaping & shoulder things to go on

kidney: done

ab: done

butt: done

Legs

Shins: needs knee plate (and possibly redo closure, I don't like what I did. lol

Thighs: ammo pack & moderate trimming to top of cover strips

Accessories

belt - not started

detonator - not started (received missing piece from trooperbay!! :D

helmet: front initial trim, eyes rough cut 

I might post some pics if I put it on tonight. I need to check that the cod -> butt strap is the right length. and OMG how do people reach around to snap those?!?! It's the hardest thing ever, aside from actually building the suit. haha. XD Overall I'm feeling pretty good. There was one thing I was worried about, when walking, the thighs kept scraping the cod piece. Hopefully with the cod -> butt strapping holding it down better, that may not happen? 

I'm a little at a loss on how to start the belt. Mainly cause I ordered the one from TrooperBay and it's WAY too big. It juuust barely catches the last bit of the velcro. I suppose we'll see once I get there.