Darthanael's AP ANH Stunt Build (Cehttps://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42121-darthanaels-ap-anh-stunt-build-centurion-the-road-to-trooping/nturion). The road to trooping!

darthanael

The next round of paint happened on my helmet. Man this thing is looking amazing. Did the second coat on the frown, second coat on the vocoder, second coat on tube stripes, cleaned up the tube stripes with a tooth pick, q-tips and brush cleaner, applies the first coat of grey to tears, ears, and all traps.

Let me know what you guys think of the tube stripes and the border thickness on the traps!

09f6a005d6f5c9cab082372a1c0370a0.jpg

5c375e2b0e671e8f72f109eeb1a7891a.jpg

880b5308d3773619d307d57819ac203e.jpg

cf6dbb93d6ff3b1831e657938b6b32f9.jpg

b234cb36608fdf8e755177a10f2f04ef.jpg

a3aa16b58fd0e188a4dc96d2ba9e5491.jpg

Oh and I installed the hovi's!! Please let me know if the positioning is cool on those!

Dang this helmet though. Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatā€™s looking superb, Nate. :-)

To me, your border lines look perfectly acceptable. By that, I mean they all vary a little as they were hand painted. Hereā€™s some reference pics I used when I painted mine and Iā€™d say your lines are consistent with screen used.

91f53cbeb7f1f84ed07d08257a0d2dde.jpg

d9e5765431ebb23c5dab425fdcdcc29c.jpg

It looks like the position of your hovi tips is good. (Again, the screen used ones varied). I believe the originals were white, with the outside painted black, so the inside and front edge had some white showing (as below). You might want to check out some reference pics and add some white where applicable.

c030ac1b5a0dfa2258ed308c4986144f.png

(Credit to starwarshelmets.com for the pics.)

My old SDS lid came with black tips. I added a little Humbrol white to the front edge, as per before and after below.

b4319edfefba85d5880ab1efe4b384e3.jpg

Youā€™re making great progress.

Dan

:-)

Wow that bucket paintwork is superb. Great stuff.
I also added some white to the front edge of the hovis too. Just adds something extra to the 'realness' of the bucket.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome job and thanks for the shout out!Ā :duim:Ā Ā as for the Velcro, ours is doing just fine with no sign of wear or looseness and I'd say we must have put them on and off at least 20 times between fittings, submission pics and one long troop so far. Ā I find that instead of pulling/rippingĀ the two sides apart, it seems better to get a finger or two wedged in and then slowly work your way up or down, separating the two halves with your fingers. Also, when storing the shin pieces, I don't Velcro them together. I just tuck one side under the other if that makes sense. Whether it helps or not, we'll see but for now it at least makes me think so! LOL

• Like 2

Awesome job and thanks for the shout out!Ā :duim:Ā Ā as for the Velcro, ours is doing just fine with no sign of wear or looseness and I'd say we must have put them on and off at least 20 times between fittings, submission pics and one long troop so far. Ā I find that instead of pulling/rippingĀ the two sides apart, it seems better to get a finger or two wedged in and then slowly work your way up or down, separating the two halves with your fingers. Also, when storing the shin pieces, I don't Velcro them together. I just tuck one side under the other if that makes sense. Whether it helps or not, we'll see but for now it at least makes me think so! LOL

Yeah that makes sense to me too! I'm for sure gonna use that storage method and removal technique. And great to know about the Velcro! Thank you!

It looks like the position of your hovi tips is good. (Again, the screen used ones varied). I believe the originals were white, with the outside painted black, so the inside and front edge had some white showing (as below). You might want to check out some reference pics and add some white where applicable.

Wow that bucket paintwork is superb. Great stuff.
I also added some white to the front edge of the hovis too. Just adds something extra to the 'realness' of the bucket.

Wow did not know this! Thank you guys for the pro tip! I will for sure make that edit.

• Like 1

Hey guys got a calf question. This my left calf. I'm wanting to apply the Velcro, but the edges still have a slight gap (pictured below). I tried to hot water bath it so they lay flat against each other, but it's being pretty stubborn. Would a slight gap be acceptable for centurion?

1379a4e35b7b17089671cbfbcaddbf9f.jpg

5 hours ago, darthanael said:

Hey guys got a calf question. This my left calf. I'm wanting to apply the Velcro, but the edges still have a slight gap (pictured below). I tried to hot water bath it so they lay flat against each other, but it's being pretty stubborn. Would a slight gap be acceptable for centurion?

1379a4e35b7b17089671cbfbcaddbf9f.jpg

We had the same thing. Ā When the velcro is on there it helps to close the gap a bit, but you should be OK. Ā The important thing is that the cover strip is doing it's job and covering the joint.

TsQBMY7.jpg

If someone at a troop is looking that closely and points out a tiny gap like that, you're in your right to tag them with your blaster (set to stun of course)...

• Like 1

We had the same thing. Ā When the velcro is on there it helps to close the gap a bit, but you should be OK. Ā The important thing is that the cover strip is doing it's job and covering the joint.

Ok perfect thanks! I need to keep my OCD in check lol.

Alright so, I've been a little busy as you can see, haha. I plan on going back and documenting the rest of my build, but I couldn't help but post this shot out of sheer glee and excitement. I feel like I'm looking at someone else's build, is this really me???

e35e3e5ccf725285df29a62563b207df.jpg

Obviously I'm missing the drop boxes (waiting on a friend to borrow their riveter), but other than that, how do I look??

Nice job man!!Ā  We'll be seeing you out there trooping in no time!!Ā  Isn't it a great feeling when you first put it all together?

Thanks Gary!! And yes I couldn't stop smiling! This is a dream come true.

Alright so, I've been a little busy as you can see, haha. I plan on going back and documenting the rest of my build, but I couldn't help but post this shot out of sheer glee and excitement. I feel like I'm looking at someone else's build, is this really me???

e35e3e5ccf725285df29a62563b207df.jpg

Obviously I'm missing the drop boxes (waiting on a friend to borrow their riveter), but other than that, how do I look??

Looking great!
I know that exact feeling. I love wearing the suit, but donā€™t yet feel like I AM a Stormtrooper when Iā€™m suited up - then I see pictures of my TK and canā€™t stop staring at them!!! IT LOOKS REAL! ;-)

• Like 1

So lemme back track from my last post a bit. The glove fiasco has finally been solved. I had first posted about use CA glue to attach the hand guards, but it ended up completely back-firing on me and peeling up.

Someone suggested using the Loctite plastic bonding system so I purchased that. Turns out it was completely dried out from when I bought it at Home Depot so I just tried using E6000. Everyone says that's what they used so why not.

I traced my hand on an old, foam workout mat I had and cut it out. I used that inside the glove as a flat surface to apply pressure to.

55822e75b0fce3d0c9e667d8b46660a1.jpg

c70b1d2a4b3d28d44e51821bd0243e76.jpg

Then I weighted them down with dumbbells and cardboard.

2874161b6deb1f382b1e6c401c2cc824.jpg

I waiting not 24 hours, but 48 hours before checking again! I also forgot to mention I thoroughly washed the gloves and guards three times each to make sure there was no oil or dirt that might jeopardize the gluing process. I also slightly sanded the glove and the back side of the guard. I did everything!!! But sadly, behold...

229dfb2f9a5631de90df4260f1e98104.jpg

Once again, the glue stuck perfectly to the glove and not the guard. What is it with these things???

I pretty much immediately determined I was going to keep the E6000 on there, NOT order new gloves yet again and finally try using the Loctite plastic bonding system like my initial plan entailed. I went back to Home Depot and this time made sure it wasn't dried out before purchasing.

I once again washed the guards three times with soap and even with rubbing alcohol as well. I followed the instructions for the Loctite and watched the anticipation.

92d1a972aa18f4fc3a6e2dc5e39e4493.jpg

It worked! I can't believe it actually worked. This stuff is truly magical. It basically made the guards one with the gloves. No issues any longer. Problem FINALLY solved!

5b3e300355725d48e19d8adb751307c7.jpg

• Like 4

So I'm uber close to taking my submission photos. Just sent my application in for the 501st membership. Been in contact with my GML. The build is almost complete! Just need to finalize some TrooperTalk details and install my fans (which I finally got a switch for).

Wanted to share some photos real quick. I'm a pastor at a church and I actually got to use the suit already in a volunteer appreciation event that we had. It's was pretty fun! Everyone flipped out when I entered the room in that suit!

dd56b803566e88b9254066423207d0b0.jpg

And then for Halloween we had a Trunk or Treat event and my wife and I did a Disney trunk. And since Disney owns SW now, a Stormtrooper kinda makes sense, right? Lol. Either way I didn't care, I was gonna wear my suit!!

d6350dabf25d8b6f360683400dbbc0ab.jpg

So here's where the bummer part comes in. I noticed half way through the trunk or treat that the edge of my forearm was eating away at my right rubber hand guard. There's some pretty serious damage and now I'm worried I won't be able to take my submission pics until I fix it. Any thoughts? Has this happened to you guys?

75179003b21d5ae2ccdfab19cdc2df8d.jpg

It does happen. Look at screen shots and even they were worn. You could take some 400 grit sand paper and smooth just the edge of wrist end to help. After trooping for awhile will help smooth plastic edge to dull it down.Ā 

Looking good BTW!:duim:

Just finished reading through your thread as Iā€™m in the same boat (first time build and aiming for Centurion). Great work so far (especially the helmet!).

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

Looking great Nate!! Like they mentioned just sand down the forearm openings at the wrist but youā€™re always going to get some wear. I wound up getting Nomex gloves and for now using the ABSĀ hand plates that came with our kit with those. Still have the rubber gloves with the rubber plates and I just switch between them depending on long troop (nomex) vs short troop (rubber). Ā As for the submission pics you should be ok. The key is to show you actually have the rubber gloves and flexible hand plates. A little wear and tear just shows you actually use the armorĀ ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, FencingCorvetteTrooper said:

Keep up the good work! No worries on the biceps - they're the same piece on the AP kit. As for the shaping, I've actually found I was able to shape the pieces manually by just gradually massaging them. I've only used the hot water bath to tweak the sniper knee plate.Ā 

Oh, good! I discovered this today and didn't want to ask here or bug Mark on the weekend. (You really can find all the answers if you read enough builds!)

• Like 1

Your armour does look amazing, love the painting on your lid, oh and the ā€œmouse bootā€ or trunk as you say it , with added stormtrooper... perfect and you certainly put a smile on the congratulation at your church, and for me, thatā€™s what life us about, making people smile and be happy.... you Sir, have my upmost respect :)

• Like 1

• Sly11 changed the title to Darthanael's AP ANH Stunt Build (Cehttps://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42121-darthanaels-ap-anh-stunt-build-centurion-the-road-to-trooping/nturion). The road to trooping!