Darthanael's AP ANH Stunt Build (Cehttps://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42121-darthanaels-ap-anh-stunt-build-centurion-the-road-to-trooping/nturion). The road to trooping!

darthanael

So amped to be posting my very first build thread! Like another builder who recently posted and like many of you, this is a life-long dream of mine. And no disrespect to those who order out-of-box ready armor, but I'm so glad to be building mine (at least my first one!). I want to work hard, get that centurion status and reap the rewards of that hard work like many of those before me. I wanna pay my dues, haha! And very grateful for this forum. It's a massive resource I know wasn't always available. But enough with all that sappy nonsense, let's get to the good stuff! Behold, BBB day...

post-26148-0-62920200-1497977138_thumb.jpg

Huge thank you to Mark for the beautiful armor, really stoked with how it looks. Great quality! And great packing skills btw! Haha. Had to get my hands first on the helmet and text all my friends about it, obviously...

post-26148-0-63079600-1497977153_thumb.jpg

And here's all the armor laid out in my garage. Mark included in his kit some applicable decals for different parts of the helmet, but I'm thinking of still hand-painting all that stuff the old-school way. Once again, I wanna pay my dues!

post-26148-0-10951500-1497977298_thumb.jpg

Lightspeed ahead on the road to trooping!

• Like 6

Congrats Nate!  Just got our BBB from Mark yesterday as well and so psyched to get started (posting pics to my build thread later when I get home since the site was down for a bit).  We've got 3 builds going at once (me, my brother and my son).  Given our crazy schedules, we opted for the pre-trimmed kit just to shave some time off the build, but there's still plenty of work to do regardless.  Definitely working with Centurion in mind as well!  And from the looks of those hurricane shutter panels, I see you're in Florida Garrison/Everglades Squad territory ;).  Hope to meet you soon at a troop, but in the meantime, let the fun begin!

• Like 2

Congrats Nate on your BBB Day! As a fellow AP trooper, you'll be super happy with Mark's kit. 

I highly recommend checking out the “Advanced Tactics” section where you can see examples of those who have taken their armor to the next levels of screen accuracy (EIB and Centurion).  I’d recommend that you aim to build to one of the certification levels, as TK’s look their best at these levels. It's really not hard to acquire EIB or Centurion, and it’s best to do during your build rather that after.

If, and when, you’re looking for other bits –and-pieces, accessories, boots, blasters, electronics, etc., be sure to check out the “Imperial Commissary/PX” section for items for sale, project runs, and for other stuff that most of the troopers use.

Also, make contact with your local Garrison. They’ll help guide you through the process of becoming a member of the 501st, and may have local Armor Parties in the works where you can get hands-on build advice and guidance, not to mention meet members of your future Garrison.

Post lots of pictures and questions. We are all here to help you out and to make sure you look your best, and represent the 501st as best as possible.

All the best on your TK journey!  :duim:

• Like 3

Congrats Nate!  Just got our BBB from Mark yesterday as well and so psyched to get started (posting pics to my build thread later when I get home since the site was down for a bit).  We've got 3 builds going at once (me, my brother and my son).  Given our crazy schedules, we opted for the pre-trimmed kit just to shave some time off the build, but there's still plenty of work to do regardless.  Definitely working with Centurion in mind as well!  And from the looks of those hurricane shutter panels, I see you're in Florida Garrison/Everglades Squad territory ;).  Hope to meet you soon at a troop, but in the meantime, let the fun begin!

Thanks so much for the reply Gary! Is this your first build as well? And is the Everglades Squad the only garrison in South Florida? Just wondering. I had deleted my FB, but I think I might need to create a new account so I can see their updates lol.

Hi Nate - yep, first build too, so I'm sure there will be plenty of tips and tricks to share! As for the Florida Garrison, the Everglades squad is the one you'd fall into (there are 5 squads in Florida). If you haven't already, head over to fl501st.com and register there so you can start meeting some of the local guys and gals, as well as get access to the list of local events including armor parties. We've already served as handlers for one troop and had a great time meeting our squad leaders and just seeing this stuff up close and personal!

• Like 3

Most excellent! I'm excited for you.

I am sure you will get plenty of helpful tips with your local garrison. But if you need any help at all, don't be afraid to ask and reference other threads.

Good Luck on your build!!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good looking armor Nate! Great advice here, just wanted to add that hand painting your helmet is totally doable. I personally stayed with decals for tube stripes just because I wasn't confident in my ability to nail those, but the traps and tears were all totally doable and it makes your helmet really shine!

• Like 1

Good looking armor Nate! Great advice here, just wanted to add that hand painting your helmet is totally doable. I personally stayed with decals for tube stripes just because I wasn't confident in my ability to nail those, but the traps and tears were all totally doable and it makes your helmet really shine!

Thanks Bobafret! Yeah the tube striping was something I didn't consider haha. We'll see how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my supply collection going, still need to order some needle files. But have what I need to get started!

7897a406539cefefbd1acaa9e1468875.jpg

Edited by darthanael
  • Like 1

Cut my first piece, this is crazy! Started with the right outer shin/calf piece. I feel like the return edge at the ankle isn't adequate, in fact, it doesn't really have one. Is this okay? I've been collecting reference images and I felt like the ones in ANH had at least a little return edge at the ankle.

But other than that, how's the trimming look so far? I read to get some 180 grit sanding blocks, but I felt like those weren't really doing much. So I started using 100 to smooth out the bumps and then the 180 for a final sanding. Also tried the "score and snap" method on the straight parts which worked super well!

b23c90d168c681b89d6a6c061797af4a.jpg

e4d39be53d9290aa8d8bc9f9d4fa4832.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Nate. A return edge is not required at the ankle. In fact, it's better not to have one at the ankle at all, as it would dig into your boot.

Your return edge at your knee looks good too. Sand it smooth and straight and move on! :duim:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, got a few questions about the kidney plate. First, I cut out the corner notches and measured to make sure they're 22mm in height. But how much of the side should I cut off? Also, it seems that Mark over at AP left a pretty generous return edge on this bad boy. Is that good or should I trim it a bit?

Image uploader is giving me issues. Gonna try to post this and submit images in next post...

If you're going with original bracket strap system. I'd work with that. And if it fits and doesn't rub you. I'd try it like it is.could it lose an 1/8", maybe.

• Like 1

Let me know what you guys think of the first photo I posted if the kidney plate. How much of the side should I trim off? Does the bracket system I choose dictate that? Is there a set size that it should extent?

Guess it all depends on your size. Mark's kit leaves room for varying body types; we ordered our kit already trimmed so for my son and I we seem to be ok, but my brother is thinner so we're going to need some more removed from his. Would recommend after you trim all the parts, try to do a full fitment (using good old painters tape and an extra pair of hands). That will give you an idea of where you might need to make some adjustments. Check out my build thread and you can see the comparisons across our three suits when we tried it. There's plenty of AP builds out there to reference and if you need to reach out to Mark, he's really good about responding. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 10:25 PM, FencingCorvetteTrooper said:

Guess it all depends on your size. Mark's kit leaves room for varying body types; we ordered our kit already trimmed so for my son and I we seem to be ok, but my brother is thinner so we're going to need some more removed from his. Would recommend after you trim all the parts, try to do a full fitment (using good old painters tape and an extra pair of hands). That will give you an idea of where you might need to make some adjustments. Check out my build thread and you can see the comparisons across our three suits when we tried it. There's plenty of AP builds out there to reference and if you need to reach out to Mark, he's really good about responding. 

Thanks for the advice Gary! Just followed your build thread!

Alright guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Back at the trimming. Still pretty fresh into the process, but trucking along! I got three kids, so it can be difficult! I'm sure a lot of you know what's up lol. Had some time tonight, so turned on some Clone Wars and started cuttin away with the Lexan's. Anyway, check out these edges on the chest and back plates. How do they look? Thanks for the input!

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

• Like 2