The Official 2017 What is a Heavy Weapons Trooper Thread

Daetrin

So....Where are we with this?

1. I know we are addiing the backpack to the CRL for the Shocktrooper.  Are we making any other changes?
  2. Battlefront Magma trooper.  I know of about 6 people out there who have these outfits.  I have sold 4 of them myself and have my own.  Is the CRL still being created?  Do you need any assistance with this?  I am more than willing to help since I have had a lot of involvement with this.
  3. Jump Pack accessory to the HWT?  Or will this be a variant?

It is in our best interest to get these done before Battlefront II comes out in November.  From what I have seen so far, there will probably be some additions.

Thanks.

Just my 2 cents:

For added clarification and easy building I find important to have a Heavy Weapons Trooper Battlefront 2004/2005 (the existing one) and then the future Weapons Trooper Battlefront 2017. If the differences of the expected new character aren't that much maybe the current category could only have the additional features of the 2017 HWT (new weapons, new backpack, etc) like the IOC has done with the Rogue One ISB officer - they kept the ISB Officer entry but with a Rogue One add-on (3 changes versus the OT ISB officer).

• Like 1

Where we are at is that we just did a major forum upgrade, completed first draft of the R1 CRL, and got out a newsletter.  Whew! I'm packed tomorrow but should have time Tuesday to push this further.

• Like 2

With regard to what to call them, I have a suggestion that may (or may not) be quite simple and easy to implement and avoid confusion.

Use Generation 1, 2, 3 etc as successive versions are released.

None of us can predict what the future will or will not bring, and using Heavy Weapons Trooper, Generation 1, 2, 3...  Allows us to put which armor iteration it comes from in the CRLs description "This costume is based on the character depicted in Star Wars Battlefront II (2009)" or 2017, as applicable.  This approach may be as future-proof as we can hope to be right now.  If you disagree, then please say so.  I've been wrong twice in the past.

Also, I'm firmly opposed to going anywhere near an "anything goes" approach to accessories and weapons with our CRLs, simply because the video games allow you to do so in Multiplayer.

I believe that we should focus on the equipment that is depicted in the Campaign mode for each costume that we take on, from any of the video games. That is the only part of the games that can actually be referred to as Canon.  Otherwise, yes, we will have ROTJ TKs using jump packs and EE-3s, or Lando's Night Sniper pistol.  Not a sensible way ahead in my opinion.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Where we are at is that we just did a major forum upgrade, completed first draft of the R1 CRL, and got out a newsletter.  Whew! I'm packed tomorrow but should have time Tuesday to push this further.

Sounds like everyone has been busy.

1 hour ago, Dark CMF said:

Also, I'm firmly opposed to going anywhere near an "anything goes" approach to accessories and weapons with our CRLs, simply because the video games allow you to do so in Multiplayer.

Agreed on the generation count and quoting this bit for emphasis.  "Generation 1" Heavy Weapon Trooper needs a weapon tighten up to go along with the pauldron/weathering/backpack tightening up when we get some free time.

• 4 months later...

I can provide high resolution screenshots of the Heavy after Thanksgiving, if needed, but essentially it is unchanged from the last Battlefront, which is to say it appears to be an ROTJ Stormtrooper with an ANH Special Edition Sandtrooper backpack.

I can provide high resolution screenshots of the Heavy after Thanksgiving, if needed, but essentially it is unchanged from the last Battlefront, which is to say it appears to be an ROTJ Stormtrooper with an ANH Special Edition Sandtrooper backpack.
Sounds like the Sandtrooper SE.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Yes the Pauldron is Orange on the Tatooine Map in Battlefront II, also the helmet details are painted like ANH Sandtrooper such as No Black Lines inside the Tears or Trapezoids, and ANH Grey Frown unlike the rest of the helmets in the game with ROTJ Black Frowns. Also on Tatooine the HWT has a Sandtrooper diamond knee plate, and Sandtrooper Ab details as well.

Other than that the Battlefront II Heavy Weapons Trooper appears to be a very close copy of the ANH SE Sandtrooper with the addition of an MP40 pouch. The packs are also slightly different as well but basically the same thing, the ANH SE Sandtrooper pack has a small "top box" with a secondary hose attached to it where as the Battlefront II Heavy Weapons Trooper pack does not.

With these two costumes basically being the same, it might be worth considering combining them into one CRL

With the Tatooine version of the Battlefront II HWT being a hybrid of ANH Sandtrooper / ANH SE Sandtrooper / ROTJ Stormtrooper I think it would be quite acceptable to allow any ANH derived armor for basic approval.

Edited by SlyFox740

Please see below that I am copying from another thread.

In reality we should actually ask MEPD if they will cover the BF2 version then on their detachment, and we stick with the original HWT.

Unless there is some really strong reason otherwise, that is what we'll do.  It will keep our HWT based on the original character it covered, which was the intent. SE sandtrooper CRL is currently being finalized on MEPD as it is.  No reason to duplicate work.

////

::Raises Hand::  I can answer this one :)
Actually in the original canon, every armored trooper is a stormtrooper.  The term sandtrooper was coined by the Legion, and even Biker Scouts are stormtroopers in specialized gear.  This is why in many books/sources they don't differentiate between stormtrooper subtypes.
Just because something is a stormtrooper does not mean that FISD will have that costume.  Detachments usually focus on a costume category and costume categories can also be logically grouped by armor type to avoid duplication of effort between detachments. 
In the old days, the split was that FISD had film canon TKs and SpecOps had everything else (MEPD had sandys as MEPD predates FISD).  As more TK costumes came out in the EU that were pretty much painted TK's (e.g. TKC), it didn't make sense for them to to go SpecOps as aside from paint all the armor building and sourcing materials were already on FISD.  So, the new split became:
MEPD->Sandtroopers
FISD->Clean TK based troopers (even painted TKs)
SpecOps->Any TK that required specialized armor or parts (except for Magma/Blackhole for historical reasons)
FISD kept HWT simply because MEPD didn't want it.  It was originally supposed to go there.  Times change and MEPD under a more visionary leadership wants to be home for all "deployed" TKs.  This is why we are moving all dirty costumes to MEPD, including the Jeddha TK, Crystal Patrol TK and the Sullest Magma trooper, even though they are based on regular TK armor.
But just like Black Hole/Magma stay with SpecOps as exceptions for historical reasons, the HWT remains on FISD.
Hope that helps. :salute:

• Like 1

I don't see a valid reason to not take this costume on board of the MEPD.

It's almost 100% the same as the SE TD.

The only thing that is missing at the moment is the CRL for the SE TD as we don't have found a model for the pictures. But that could get solved if someone decides to go for this BFII HWT.

I'll create a post on the MEPD to discuss the costume.