The Official 2017 What is a Heavy Weapons Trooper Thread

Daetrin

I'm starting this thread to get *the* definitive FISD judgment on what is a valid HWT costume. I suspect the current HWT CRL which was designed around the 2009 Battlefront game will need to be broken out in to several new CRLs when all is said and done, but to get there we need to decide - for this year at least - what exactly is an HWT.]

The 501st Heavy Weapons Trooper CRL is based upon the Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) Heavy and Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005) Heavy Weapons Class unit, in both games cosmetically identical and called Shock Trooper. NOT to be confused with the red-and-white Imperial Shock Trooper, for which a CRL exists here

EA Star Wars Battlefront (2015) did not have classes, but rather cosmetic skins that could be unlocked with points earned in-game. There is a red-and-white Imperial Shocktrooper skin, but there is not a Heavy Weapons Trooper skin with signature orange pauldron and MP40 hip pouches. The closest thing to, is a skin called Stormtrooper (Orange) which is a sandtrooper with the characteristic high brow, unpainted ab buttons, and ANH:SE sandtrooper backpack (which is also used by the red-and-white Shocktrooper).

It has been confirmed that the Heavy unit is returning in EA Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov. 2017), however images have not been released, yet.

I will keep this first posted updated as people post better information and better screen shots.

First screen shots posted to FISD in 2009

StormShock.png

MSlx9gn.jpg

6Ws0ot7.jpg

OZXUd4r.jpg

The original CRL called for basically an ANH TK with accessories, even though in the game the ab detail is different. More shots are here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15272-high-detail-hwt-screens/

Fast forward to 2016 and we have a few new variations from Battlefront.

Mr. Jump Pack

Sin_t_tulo_1.jpg

Stormtrooper Red

hIb4DnK.jpg

Battlefront MagmaTrooper

oGNgZ7U.jpg

• Like 4

I love this.  Look at all of those packs.  Plus I love playing the game. 

My version 3 Magamtrooper ensemble (pack, respirator, shin armor) should be very accurate to the game.

I designed my Jump Pack straight from the game and the Red Stormtrooper uses what I call the Battlefront Shocktrooper Pack.

I will post some pics and my thoughts later tonight when I get a chance.

Not to throw a wrench in the works but there's a new Commander in town.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Stormtrooper-Commander-75531?HQS=lego+stormtrooper+commander&cmp=KAC-SAHGOOGLEUS&ef_id=WCyaOwAAAe8kwwl7%3A20170614211032%3As&s_kwcid=AL%21790%213%21198046682043%21e%21%21g%21%21lego+stormtrooper+commander

Leave it to Lego to add a new title to what we thought we knew.

75531.jpeg.51eb144677603cbec1f5ef01f8969c43.jpeg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

The 501st Heavy Weapons Trooper CRL is based upon the Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) Heavy and Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005) Heavy Weapons Class unit, in both games cosmetically identical and called Shock Trooper. NOT to be confused with the red-and-white Imperial Shock Trooper, for which a CRL exists here

EA Star Wars Battlefront (2015) did not have classes, but rather cosmetic skins that could be unlocked with points earned in-game. There is a red-and-white Imperial Shocktrooper skin, but there is not a Heavy Weapons Trooper skin with signature orange pauldron and MP40 hip pouches. The closest thing to, is a skin called Stormtrooper (Orange) which is a sandtrooper with the characteristic high brow, unpainted ab buttons, and ANH:SE sandtrooper backpack (which is also used by the red-and-white Shocktrooper).

It has been confirmed that the Heavy unit is returning in EA Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov. 2017), however images have not been released, yet.

• Like 1

Thanks - first posted updated.

Another jet pack trooper

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here is my Jump Pack pictures, both reference and completed prototype pack.

From the Toy, since you already have pictures from the game.

--------

My pack (Prototype.  Next one will not have visible parts lines and will be weathered.

----------

Entire pack is 3D printed.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here are some of the Magmatrooper reference photos and pictures of my Version 3 ensemble:

From Battlefront:

-----------

Photos of current pack and ensemble:  I am not wearing ROTJ armor.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks! Here is what I'm seeing so far:

CURRENT: There is one HWT CRL trying to cover a variety of base armors and accessories. This is causing a lot of problems as the original base armor is pretty much ANH-type, later version are ROTJ type.

SOLUTION:

1. Have current HWT focus only on the original game using ANH armor/helmet as a base. Call it "Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront)"

2. Create a new CRL for the current game version, which is ROTJ based. Call it "Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront II)"

3. Create a new CRL for the magma trooper, called "Magma Trooper (Battlefront II)"

Sound right? I'm thinking for items #2 & #3, perhaps allowing ANH armor for L2, but then forcing ROTJ or modified ANH for L2/L3 to start.

Thoughts?

Lastly, I'm wondering if we can loop this guy somewhere, I'm guessing as a "Stormtrooper - Force Unleashed", if anyone ever wants to do one. It's an ROTJ body with ANH helmet & handguards, essentially an unpainted TKC or ICN.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/18647-high-resolution-phase-iii-tk-images-7-images/

• Like 3

Thanks! Here is what I'm seeing so far:

CURRENT: There is one HWT CRL trying to cover a variety of base armors and accessories. This is causing a lot of problems as the original base armor is pretty much ANH-type, later version are ROTJ type.

SOLUTION:

1. Have current HWT focus only on the original game using ANH armor/helmet as a base. Call it "Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront)"

2. Create a new CRL for the current game version, which is ROTJ based. Call it "Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront II)"

3. Create a new CRL for the magma trooper, called "Magma Trooper (Battlefront II)"

Sound right? I'm thinking for items #2 & #3, perhaps allowing ANH armor for L2, but then forcing ROTJ or modified ANH for L2/L3 to start.

Thoughts?

Lastly, I'm wondering if we can loop this guy somewhere, I'm guessing as a "Stormtrooper - Force Unleashed", if anyone ever wants to do one. It's an ROTJ body with ANH helmet & handguards, essentially an unpainted TKC or ICN.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/18647-high-resolution-phase-iii-tk-images-7-images/

I like the idea.

However, item 1 should be called something like PreBattlefront or Battlefront 09.

Items 2 and 3 derive from the current Battlefront Game called just 'Battlefront', so we could reference Battlefront I

Battlefront II is coming out in November and you will see a lot of characters from this one as it covers all Episodes of Star Wars.

I also like the idea of allowing ANH armor for Lvl 1 and Lvl 2, since most of us have ANH armor.

• Like 1

I think that works Paul. I can see where Shawn is coming from following the game. But I like to go Paul's route. Plus I don't want to say "pre Battlefront". The one now is original here. TBH I'm not a fan of how it's skin's and any pack any gun set up. When does it go from HWT to total mash up of anything is ok? Hopefully they go back to dedicated HWT in new game.

• Like 1

I think that works Paul. I can see where Shawn is coming from following the game. But I like to go Paul's route. Plus I don't want to say "pre Battlefront". The one now is original here. TBH I'm not a fan of how it's skin's and any pack any gun set up. When does it go from HWT to total mash up of anything is ok? Hopefully they go back to dedicated HWT in new game.

I just would not call it battlefront 2. Since that game is coming out soon and they'll be a lot of new characters. Original Battlefront and Battlefront 1 works pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Magma Trooper, the Jump Pack Trooper, and the Jump Pack are in EA Battlefront (2015). But I don't see how they are relevant to the Heavy Weapons Trooper CRL?

EA Battlefront II (2017) does have a Heavy Trooper class in the game (not just multiplayer, but part of the actual canon storyline), and so I think we should wait to see what DICE does with that before possibly modifying the HWT CRL. Maybe DICE will resurrect the HWT from Battlefront (2004) and Battlefront II (2005) in beautiful high definition? Or, maybe they'll do something weird, like base the design on an AT-AT driver. Or, what is more likely, they'll complicate the CRL by having the Heavy Trooper wear an assortment of recycled assets: an ROTJ helmet, ANH:SE backpack, and sandtrooper body with upside down ab buttons? This is from the trailer...

qyaJWXA.jpg

I like the idea.

However, item 1 should be called something like PreBattlefront or Battlefront 09.

Items 2 and 3 derive from the current Battlefront Game called just 'Battlefront', so we could reference Battlefront I

Battlefront II is coming out in November and you will see a lot of characters from this one as it covers all Episodes of Star Wars.

I also like the idea of allowing ANH armor for Lvl 1 and Lvl 2, since most of us have ANH armor.

Hey Guys.

I agree with you to a large extent.

But i Would call number 1 Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront 2009),

number 2 Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront 2015)

and number 3 Magmatrooper (Battlefront 2015).

And if you would create a new HWT CRL or from other troopers out of the new game, i would call it for example Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront II 2017) !

In my Opinion it is the best solution, because everyone knows which game is meant! ;) 

The idea with different Armor versions for L1,L2 and L3 is very good! :duim:

How about something along these lines this just to keep things simple:  

1.  OHWT  (Original HWT)

2.  HWT BF2

3.  HWT M2 (HWT Battlefront Magma 2)

• Like 3

How about something along these lines this just to keep things simple:  

1.  OHWT  (Original HWT)

2.  HWT BF2

3.  HWT M2 (HWT Battlefront Magma 2)

Hi,

1. OHWT is ok

but 2. HWT BF2 is not a good idea, because the first Battlefront 2 is from 2005 an the new Battlefront 2 is from 2017!!! -->therefore HWT Battlefront 2015

and 3. the Magmatrooper is not really a HWT! And it exists a red Magmatrooper in spec ops detachment -->therefor i would call ist Magmatrooper Battlefront 2015!

The Magamtrooper CRL is to be an independent CRL, which is not necessarily related to the HWT CRL.

• Like 1

Hey Guys.

I agree with you to a large extent.

But i Would call number 1 Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront 2009),

number 2 Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront 2015)

and number 3 Magmatrooper (Battlefront 2015).

And if you would create a new HWT CRL or from other troopers out of the new game, i would call it for example Heavy Weapons Trooper (Battlefront II 2017) !

In my Opinion it is the best solution, because everyone knows which game is meant! ;)

The idea with different Armor versions for L1,L2 and L3 is very good! :duim:

I'm currently building an ANH TK that I'm planning to add a HWT variant with of course the current CRL backpack that I also expect not to have more changes...

I like the idea of this systematization proposed. It's like some movies with the same title...they distinguish them by years and I believe that is easier to understand which type we'll want to pick up to build.

• Like 1

I like the idea for the magma trooper and other EA battlefront variations being named as Magma Trooper (Battlefront 2015), as this will stop the confusement about which game it is from as there is already battlefront 1 and 2 from 2004 and 2005.

If you need some pictures for the CRL for the magma trooper i can supply them soon as i am about to order some new shoulder straps, then i am ordering my DLT-19 next month which may take a few months to get and then i hope to order a pauldron within the next few weeks. Other than that it will be complete.

:)

• Like 1

I think as we continue to hone in on "What is a Heavy Weapons Trooper?" and I assume eventually create a clean thread to be pinned for newcomers, it would helpful to begin to (1) eliminate references to things that are not a Heavy Weapons Trooper and (2) begin to add a basic FAQ with references to prior discussions where standards were agreed upon and some pretty obvious questions addressed, namely:

a) How picky are 501st approvals going to be about pack standards when the current standards are not terribly close what we see in-game?

What I have seen is a general agreement that we need a basic standard for the pack so that people aren't just doing 'whatever' with packs filled with lights and gizmos, but that we do not want to be extraordinarily picky about the specifics when what we are representing is a low-resolution, low-polygon model that is suffering from both texture issues (the middle tube is glitched, such that the black-stripe detail we have added to it is totally idealized) and clipping issues (which is why to look at the front, the handle at the top of the pack appears to be open, when in reality the space beneath the handle was apparently intended to be closed). My main concern is that we really need to start getting consistent with whatever standards are arrived at, and that means eventually addressing the utter inaccuracy of the antenna. If I can't have lights, why am I allowed to have the antenna? 

I'm 99% sure that DICE is about to establish the ANH:SE Sandtrooper's backpack, ironically a character rejected by the MEPD as a HWT, as official HWT equipment. Are we prepared to accept that pack, considering it will be canon?

b ) What weapons are allowed for 501st approvals?

In Battlefront (2004) and Battlefront II (2005), the HWT has only these three weapons: MiniMag PTL Rocket Launcher, E-11, and the SE-14r Blaster Pistol. We seem to have gone our own way with this and the DLT-19 and the T-21 have easily been the most popular in the approvals I have seen. The general idea seems to be that the HWT should carry a BFG and that's all that really matters. Is that a problem? I don't think so, but the question has been brought up in the past.

Edited by rbsmith7

The present standards will be in place for at least the foreseeable future.  Are there discrepancies?  In a word, yes, but as they say "you have to start somewhere".  The pack as it is as close as the game as the average builder can get without having access to a 3D printer for the large pieces.   For instance, we are aware of the opening under the handle, but finding a base without one is a no-go.

Sandies have the luxury of purchasing specific parts in either resin or other materials that are available from many sources, which is why they can afford to be picky about their packs.   They also have actual screen caps to reference from.   As HWTs we do not have that option, and rely on relatively lo-res game images and everyday items for our packs, so a certain amount of liberty is given.  I am sure in the future someone will come up with a 3D printed pack that matches the game more accurately, but it will probably be expensive (close to $500.00) which would make it out of the reach of most Troopers.

In it's present incarnation, becoming a Heavy Weapons Trooper is more within the means of most, and can be realized for less than $175.00 or so (excluding BFGs) which includes the pack, leather ammo pouches and pauldron.

As you mentioned, some were going over the top with added greeblies, lights, video monitors etc., which is one of the main reasons we had to set some standards.  While not perfect, they help to ensure continuity and give Troopers another costume option without breaking the bank.

As for the antennas, I am up in the air on that one.  Will the average person (non 501st) notice?  I think not.  Even though I thought it looked cool, I removed mine after the new CRL came out, as well as changing my MP40 packs from canvas to leather.  Those who have not made the changes have been "grandfathered in", and if they want to use the antenna I have no problem with that.

The present standards will be in place for at least the foreseeable future. Are there discrepancies? In a word, yes, but as they say "you have to start somewhere". The pack as it is as close as the game as the average builder can get without having access to a 3D printer for the large pieces. For instance, we are aware of the opening under the handle, but finding a base without one is a no-go.

Sandies have the luxury of purchasing specific parts in either resin or other materials that are available from many sources, which is why they can afford to be picky about their packs. They also have actual screen caps to reference from. As HWTs we do not have that option, and rely on relatively lo-res game images, so a certain amount of liberty is given. I am sure in the future someone will come up with a 3D printed pack that matches the game more accurately, but it will probably be expensive (close to $500.00) which would make it out of the reach of most Troopers.

In it's present incarnation, becoming a Heavy Weapons Trooper is more within the means of most, and can be realized for less than $175.00 or so (excluding BFGs) which includes the pack, leather ammo pouches and pauldron.

As you mentioned, some were going over the top with added greeblies, lights, video monitors etc., which is one of the main reasons we had to set some standards. While not perfect, they help to ensure continuity and give Troopers another costume option without breaking the bank.

As for the antennas, I am up in the air on that one. Will the average person (non 501st) notice? I think not. Even though I thought it looked cool, I removed mine after the new CRL came out, as well as changing my MP40 packs from canvas to leather. Those who have not made the changes have been "grandfathered in", and if they want to use the antenna I have no problem with that.

To 3D print the base and the entire pack would cost more than $500. I currently 3D print some of the pieces and Vac form the radio and Arch boxes. However, it would be cost prohibitive to 3D print the base due to the size.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1