FencingCorvetteTrooper's Triple Trooper Build (AP ANH Stunt)!

Looking fantastic pal!  I am glad I am not the only one who has to make room inside for that Husky trunk.  The New Orleans heat would do all kinds of bad things to my armor.  I feel your pain.  Keep up the good work.  (May Hurricane  Irma miss us both)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shanester said:

Looking fantastic pal!  I am glad I am not the only one who has to make room inside for that Husky trunk.  The New Orleans heat would do all kinds of bad things to my armor.  I feel your pain.  Keep up the good work.  (May Hurricane  Irma miss us both)

Thanks Shane!  Yes, may she head out to the open waters and leave us all alone!  

7 hours ago, illusionz_09 said:

Yea this hurricane looks like no joke. Hopefully you guys are all prepared. All i need is propane, hopefully i can find some today.

And yes, when you are ready go ahead and submit the application on the 501st legion website and then just email the pictures to me or text and i will send them to the GML directly. It can help move along the process quicker.

Yeah, just finished clearing everything out of the backyard pool area into the garage, and shuttered all the windows (accordion shutters - best investment I ever made!).  Water and food supply in check, just need to see if I can top off gas in the wife's car on my way to work tomorrow.  Trying to see if I get a chance to get my mind off things over the next day or two and just work on finishing up all the loose ends, but kinda tough to focus on anything else right now.  At least I went ahead and cleaned up my office, which was a disaster with tools, plastic and boxes everywhere - now all the armor is sitting pretty in the Husky box and the torso's are on hangers in the laundry room LOL.  If I don't talk to you before then, stay safe!!

Aaaaaannnndddd, we're back!!!  Continuing to send out positive thoughts and prayers though to everyone out there still dealing with the aftermath of that cursed storm.  We got really lucky down here; got away with just a lot of trees down towards the back of the property, two days without power in 93+ degree weather (a big hurrah for our generator though!), and a huge cleanup around the pool and patio, but everyone was safe and sound.

Of course as part of the prep, had to make sure all our hard work was safely stored away...

q1FF5Wv.jpg

a2ymdX8.jpg

But I actually did a little work on some of the minor stuff the night before the storm since we had nothing else to do and were hunkered down.

Everyone got the needed velcro to attach to the straps that connect our shoulder bells to our shoulder straps, as well as the bicep to forearm connector straps...

PJWzWHV.jpg

I also used a little velcro to help get a more precise and flush fit on the corner edges between our butt and kidney plates (the butt plates tended to have a little "flare" to them)...

9ZaIQvr.jpg

Finally, I started to tackle the belts, which along with gluing our thigh to belt straps, are the last items on the list.  

qVFF8BJ.jpg?1

Found a little tip to mark the top of the belt to help avoid accidentally flipping the pieces while making hole marks and assembling.

YuZyeX3.jpg?1

While I got a good head start, I suddenly realized I was missing more split rivets to attach the ammo belt to the canvas belt and the Chicago screws for the holster!!  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out to Home Depot or Michael's right as the first rain bands started, so I found what I needed on Ebay and Amazon and placed my order.  Thanks to the storm they won't get here until later this week, so we will see how it goes.  Hoping to be able to submit for approval by next weekend's armor party!

And to make things a little more interesting, and keep us motivated, we had a special delivery hit our doorstep just today....

GBAH9g6.jpg

These Hyperfirm DLT's are AWESOME!!  They are huge, but lighter than our resin E-11's.  Can't wait to put them to some fun use, although if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how/what kind of strapping can be made or purchased for these, please let us know.

And so here we go - we made it down the home stretch!

The past week was essentially focused on getting our belts done.  We first measured out for the snap holes on the torso...then we measured again....and then one more time.  We followed UKSWRATH's build thread and used the measurements listed there.  15mm from the bottom edge and 59mm from the leftmost ridge and 28 mm from the rightmost ridge.  Total distance between the two is 343mm.  Once set, we drilled the holes, then proceeded to have some fun placing the snaps.  I say fun because the curve of the torso piece and location of the hole didn't leave a truly flat surface to place the snap tool and hammer. 

xKX05Xn.jpg

f7c2wMq.jpg

From there, it was time to measure for the snaps on the actual canvas belt.  Again, we measured numerous times and also ensured that we were installing everything on the correct side of the belt.  Once installed, the canvas belt snapped in to the torso perfectly!

o5CLkje.jpg

From there we attached the plastic ammo belt...

Qcj1O0b.jpg?1

Then it was time for the drop boxes and holster....

uzCzoIL.jpg

Dx8HcGO.jpg

We used velcro for now with the thought that we may use the drop box for storage. If it winds up not being practical, we'll go back and glue the front and back together.

On the left side, we made sure to cut out accordingly so we didn't cover up the snap. We also used a little velcro between the strap and the canvas belt to help keep the strap in position.

yaF512t.jpg

For the holster, we measured out and punched the holes and then used Chicago screws to secure the holster to the canvas belt.

0NiXytP.jpg

fVV3K2Q.jpg

Not too shabby once it was all together...

G8NcYwU.jpg

And after a little while we had three lovely suits of armor waiting to be worn...

oMKmE60.jpg

And so with that, my brother and I are proceeding with our submissions for 501 basic approval!  In the meantime, my son just sits back and chuckles at us as he already has his Galactic Academy CTK number.  While we know the build never really ends, at least we have reached this major milestone.

Have to admit, I didn't think we would get here this quickly considering none of us had ever done this before, and we were attempting 3 builds at once!  But looking back, it was an awesome experience and we couldn't have done it without the help of so many people here on the forum and within our local squad.  We can't wait to get out there and start representing the 501st and bringing smiles to everyone's faces!

Of course, this wouldn't be a build thread without some submission pictures!  I took care of mine tonight and my brother and son are up tomorrow.  Enjoy and please feel free to provide feedback and critique.  Our goal is Centurion, but we know we have to get to Expert Infantry first.  We have all the required elements needed for Centurion, but understand there may need to be some tweaks to the fit of the armor.

I5fhOgd.jpg

WQILVCO.jpg

0E2NCIp.jpg

L8V4X8c.jpg

WpLco56.jpg

JyDda5b.jpg

PVvTbex.jpg

And of course the action shots...

9HVwjmZ.jpg

DsqXRjr.jpg

T2rEpe7.jpg

• Like 2

And we would be remiss to leave out my son.  Even though he doesn't get to apply to the 501st for another 2 years, we built a suit that will hopefully still fit him by the time he's 18 and that can eventually get that EIB and Centurion designation.  As with our other two suits, comments, feedback and improvement are definitely welcome!

The smile you can only get when you don the white armor and become a living action figure!

4OddsH3.jpg

PGsAvzJ.jpg

OibbZja.jpg

M37FTcQ.jpg

0gzHfJy.jpg

u2EE1KB.jpg

QcSyuaY.jpg

And of course the action shots...

Of7bdcM.jpg

Just chillin with his DLT...

FmH4Yjr.jpg

And finally, striking a pose with his uncle...

79jHrbg.jpg

It's been a great bonding experience for the three of us and looking forward to many troops together as a mini TK squad!

We got approved!!  Don't know what was more exciting - BBB day or 501 TK email day!!!

So psyched for our first troop this Saturday at the Marlins game and grateful for everyone who helped us throughout our journey!

I've already started tweaks and adjustments though (pictures to post later), and so begins the never ending saga of armor maintenance and modifications.  Obviously, first stop is EIB, then Centurion, but definitely looking into possibly transforming into a HWT.  One step at a time though...:laugh1:

Long live the Empire! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 6:33 PM, ABS80 said:

You guys did a fantastic job congratulations!   

Thanks again to have put your trust in AP.

Mark 

And thank you for always quickly getting back to us with our questions and providing invaluable assistance!!

Well, I know it's been a few weeks since we got approval and our first troop under our belt, but thinks have picked up with work, so waiting to get over the hump in order to start trooping again.  In the meantime, picked up a few pointers and made a few updates that I felt would be good to share so others could use the knowledge as needed - troopers helping troopers!

First up though - a few pictures from our first troop.  It was the Miami Marlins Star Wars night, and it was a blast! While my son couldn't troop due to this being an official LFL event, he still attended and did an amazing job as a handler (looking forward to his first official troop alongside of us next month).  With the adrenaline pumping, I don't think my brother and I could volunteer to go out over the course of the evening fast enough. We'd come back in, hydrate and then head right back out over the 4 hours.

Here we are with our first actual troop moment as we welcome fans at one of the gates.  It was outside in the heat, but we survived the 30-40 minute post with flying colors!

5rLNRPG.jpg

After we came back, we got all of the TK's together and posed with our boss. My brother is to Vader's right and I'm peeking over Vader's right shoulder from the second row.

QfYGv47.jpg

Here I am, second from the left, with my comrades guarding the first base line before the ceremonial first pitch...

oy4IqGW.jpg

On our way to a fan meet and greet, we all immediately noticed the industrial backdrop provided by the freight elevator and had to strike a pose.  I'm on the far right and my brother is second from left.

H7XcEhj.jpg

Here we are guarding home plate.  I'm all the way at the top of the circle and my brother is third from left (amazed how I can tell us apart, huh? LOL)

uCKlVEW.jpg

Finally, some of the group shots.  We had an awesome turnout of around 30 legion members and can't wait for next year!

xzOKcC7.jpg

DUlzTg2.jpg

OK, and now for the updates!

1. One thing we did prior to the troop (and glad we did), was to trim down the back of the thighs.  This gave us just enough extra room to walk more comfortably and maneuver steps.  Highly recommended mod if you need the extra space and it doesn't always require a drastic cut. Here was a side by side to show how much we trimmed off, starting with the right thigh.

lvuYIPP.jpg?1

And here are both thighs trimmed...

d2HPNye.jpg?1

2.  Next was trimming of the cover strip on the upper forearms to present a smoother and less drastic contour.  It did also provide a little more from the comfort perspective as it cut down on some clashing we had with the bicep piece whenever we tried to bend our arms.  Here the piece on the left is as it was originally, and the right shows the new contour line.

Q59YQdj.jpg

3. Shin creep.  While the use of foam in the shins did help, we finally caved in and went the route of sticking velcro on our shiny new boots.  This mod is DEFINITELY worth it.  We trooped 4 hours and never once had an issue with our shins moving around.  Here's the strip of velcro on the boots...

0jCktGq.jpg

And here is the matching strip inside the bottom of the shins. Note we still kept the foam on the inside of the shin with the sniper knee as that helped keep that piece out further and prevented it from ever catching on the bottom of the thigh.

0z5HC1K.jpg

4. Another update we made was to replace the velcro attachment at the top of the shoulder bells with a snap.  My original thought was that with velcro we could adjust the fit more easily, but while that was true, it made for a small wardrobe malfunction late into the troop.  Unfortunately, no pictures of that one, but I think you get the idea ;o).

5. Finally, while not necessarily an improvement per se, we went ahead and installed our electronics and it worked out great.  We're using TrooperTalk, running on an old iPhone 6 and with the 50Watt Aker speaker in white.  I found that where I positioned the speaker was perfect as I could actually stick a finger behind my chest plate easily and adjust the volume knob as needed.  I ran the background chatter and it was perfect as it would be going off as folks were standing next to me for pictures and complemented my minimal dialog with them.

QXCaRnE.jpg

Well, that's it for now.  I am sure more updates will come as we troop more and more, but hope some of these might be helpful to others.  I also went ahead and got my submission package together for Expert Infantry, so hopefully that comes through soon, and then it's on to Centurion!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, batmanmike said:

Congrats! Great thread, and great info. Hoping to get my AP approved in the next month...back to building:)

r/Mike

Glad this has been of help to others!  Keep plugging away and you'll be there in no time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, FencingCorvetteTrooper said:

OK, and now for the updates!

1. One thing we did prior to the troop (and glad we did), was to trim down the back of the thighs.  This gave us just enough extra room to walk more comfortably and maneuver steps.  Highly recommended mod if you need the extra space and it doesn't always require a drastic cut. Here was a side by side to show how much we trimmed off, starting with the right thigh.

lvuYIPP.jpg?1

And here are both thighs trimmed...

d2HPNye.jpg?1

2.  Next was trimming of the cover strip on the upper forearms to present a smoother and less drastic contour.  It did also provide a little more from the comfort perspective as it cut down on some clashing we had with the bicep piece whenever we tried to bend our arms.  Here the piece on the left is as it was originally, and the right shows the new contour line.

Q59YQdj.jpg

3. Shin creep.  While the use of foam in the shins did help, we finally caved in and went the route of sticking velcro on our shiny new boots.  This mod is DEFINITELY worth it.  We trooped 4 hours and never once had an issue with our shins moving around.  Here's the strip of velcro on the boots...

0jCktGq.jpg

And here is the matching strip inside the bottom of the shins. Note we still kept the foam on the inside of the shin with the sniper knee as that helped keep that piece out further and prevented it from ever catching on the bottom of the thigh.

0z5HC1K.jpg

4. Another update we made was to replace the velcro attachment at the top of the shoulder bells with a snap.  My original thought was that with velcro we could adjust the fit more easily, but while that was true, it made for a small wardrobe malfunction late into the troop.  Unfortunately, no pictures of that one, but I think you get the idea ;o).

5. Finally, while not necessarily an improvement per se, we went ahead and installed our electronics and it worked out great.  We're using TrooperTalk, running on an old iPhone 6 and with the 50Watt Aker speaker in white.  I found that where I positioned the speaker was perfect as I could actually stick a finger behind my chest plate easily and adjust the volume knob as needed.  I ran the background chatter and it was perfect as it would be going off as folks were standing next to me for pictures and complemented my minimal dialog with them.

QXCaRnE.jpg

Well, that's it for now.  I am sure more updates will come as we troop more and more, but hope some of these might be helpful to others.  I also went ahead and got my submission package together for Expert Infantry, so hopefully that comes through soon, and then it's on to Centurion!

Hi,

I just got the armor from Mark fully build ready to wear and I have to say it is amazing!

Could you tell me where to get the speaker?

Thank!

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2017 at 6:13 PM, FencingCorvetteTrooper said:

OK, time for another update!  Well, I have to admit, considering we're building 3 TK's at once, we have actually accomplished a great deal in just two weeks!

Helmets - Done

Thermal Detonators - Done

Biceps & Forearms - Done

Gloves - Done

At this point, from a high level, we just have to complete the overall body armor, legs and belt. Granted, that includes some serious size trimming we're going to need to do for my brother's armor, and likely some minor adjustments for my son and I, but I'm really thinking we can get this done before the end of September so we can get our TK numbers, and then officially troop with our Everglades Squad brethren at a big event at the Florida Marlins game.  If we wind up and missing it, it's OK as we'd rather not sacrifice quality for time (can you tell I'm a Project Manager?), but at least that's our target goal.

So now for a few pictures....

Getting our biceps finished...

cZJY5zX.jpg

We also added the bicep hooks afterwards (not pictured).  My son and I had to go with some inner cover strips so we could extend the width of the biceps - For me because I work out, and for him because he will likely continue to grow!

y2TW74z.jpg

After a little more fit testing, then it's on to the forearms...

tFqUzfT.jpg

uWxcKZG.jpg

The finished product...

Jb0HZX6.jpg

My son modeling his new arms...

w8rKNal.jpg

n8HNx4B.jpg

And today, we set up a trooper glove assembly line...

176bpvb.jpg

Aiming for Centurion from the get go...

xAM78xy.jpg

Now to see what the next week brings!!

Hi,

Could you please tell me how did you secure the hand guards in the gloves?
we have the same ones 
Thank you!!
Lily

Hi Lily! For the gloves, we actually followed the instructions from another build thread (Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)).  She was a great reference for us since it was an AP kit as well.  She has a picture of the glue in her thread and the instructions - it's Loctite Plastic Bonding Glue with the Activation Pen.  Just click the link above and you'll be good to go!

19 minutes ago, James Whitley said:

I like what you did with the Velcro on the boots, that has been a problem that I've been batting around in my head to stop the shins from moving

You can also add some elastic to the top of the boots then snaps to the inside of the shin, works well and the elastic allows for some movement when stretching