Charlie's First build

• 2 weeks later...

6210c2f7bb87469276f4c610e90334db.jpg0571108ff63353dd966ba2f9e6cd5f08.jpg

Have I trimmed enough off the cap area where the ears attach? I see the raised area on both sides just did not want to take to much off.. bottom of the cap where it connects to the face piece not lining up flush either not matter how much I adjust both pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am about a similair point in my build. Have you watched Walts build video? He says the trim should be a little behind that line. So I believe there should be no "return" edge there. I left a little on mine but am about to watch his video and trim more before i drill for the rivets and then fit the ears cdcdb587af4261d3be21f7adb2780eb7.jpg00d9f5b432d62c668019cc64a2456c34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Also on bottom of cap and face, you will clean that up as the last step

Thanks for the pics and response.. I've watched Walts vids plus trooperbay I guess I needed some reinsurance LOL.. Read so much about don't trim too much can't put it LOL.. Yours look great!! I stare at mine to long looking for imperfections or mistakes that I think I'm making!! So how far from the edge or you placing the poprivit ? Can't find any info on the placement don't want the ear screws hitting the pop rivit.. thanks again!!!

• Like 1

Have seen a few pics and looks like maybe about 1/4 of an inch or so from the edge about center on the curve where the ear lays. This will put it centeted and forward from the screws. The three holes make a triangle if connected. I will also rough cut the ears and position to check alignment.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to be able to finish up the trimming that we are talking about and work on my ears..I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow suppose to rain most of those days.. Also decide on what type voice changer and fans to install and order those.. I want to completely finish the bucket before I order the rest of the armor..

I was told to trim the top of the ears thinner when i was about your point. I still need to do some sanding to smooth it out and get final fitment2fdbd8e3bc26d402c4c067bcbd3b7e67.jpgea60617bc4f0a1deff01e00e4515ea7d.jpg

I was told to trim the top of the ears thinner when i was about your point. I still need to do some sanding to smooth it out and get final fitment2fdbd8e3bc26d402c4c067bcbd3b7e67.jpgea60617bc4f0a1deff01e00e4515ea7d.jpg

Thanks..That's what I was thinking also, been working it with sanding block worked on it yesterday and this afternoon starting to get frustrated

Yeah trying not to get frustrated i just do something else for a bit then come back.

Also remeber the top part will be a little thinner on the back side due to the uneveness between the cap and face being two pices stacked. Walt mentions that in the video.

Also what makes getting the front and back curved part tought to lay out.

AND most importantly as i have been told by others. "Gap is canon, doesnt need to be perfect!"

I switched to the other ear try work on it a while I'm afraid it's going to be worse LOL I rewatched the Walts ear trimming video see that mines a lot thicker than one in the video got plenty of room to keep sanding

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine and I are both working on our WTF buckets. About to start the ears. Did you trim any off the bottom? mine has a ton of material down there so not sure where to trim safely, before I do it to fit. 

where is Walt's video? Anyone have a link?! Thanks!

2017-08-08 00.10.47.jpg

Edited by Izajeeenyus

57 minutes ago, Izajeeenyus said:

A friend of mine and I are both working on our WTF buckets. About to start the ears. Did you trim any off the bottom? mine has a ton of material down there so not sure where to trim safely, before I do it to fit. 

where is Walt's video? Anyone have a link?! Thanks!

2017-08-08 00.10.47.jpg

Used Walts video and Trooperbay..  I trimmed down then started using a sanding block.. Hard to say how much I trimmed just kept sanding until I was close to what I thought was to a good fit..I'm sure others with more experience than me will chine in.. I need to work on my left ear tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stuqNs4g2s4

https://trooperbay.com/helmet-assembly/

48 minutes ago, Izajeeenyus said:

thanks - watched trooper bays video, but didn't see Walt's yet. Thanks for the link!

agree - its scary cutting it because you can't put it back!

Ive put my ears on and screwed them down 100 times now still not satisfied LOL.. Pretty sure I've made several mistakes its a learning experience and I'm not a crafty person LOL 

Green lens install.... I did not want to do the whole lens install, so one lens for each eye..Checked out the forum a lot of the pics are missing did  found a couple I liked using screws.. So here is my problem I can not get the lens to fit flush tried hair dryer method and boiling water to shape the  lens nothing happening.. Other option is to invest in a heat gun or try to find precut and shaped lens I guess? Saw the posts about smitty had lens but that thread is dead now.  Any suggestions??

Almost done need to paint ears, frown, ordered my fans hope finish up bucket next couple days then order rest of the amour. : )

Thanks Charlie 

I can hook you up with 2 individual green lenses, Charlie.  They are curved, and will fit your eye openings no problem.  There are a dozen ways to install them, but to be honest the best way I have found is to use Sugru.  It is a kneadable (like Play-doh) glue that you can easily roll and shape as you like.  You simply roll it into a thin "snake" shape, place it onto the inside of the eye opening, and then press the lens in, clean off any excess on the outside and wait 8 hours for it to dry.  Badda bing, badda boom.  Done.

It is "permanent", but can be removed if necessary.  I recommend not using it all the way around the eye, but leaving a little opening on the top for moisture to escape.  

Hint:  To keep your lense from fogging up, dab a bit of foam type shaving cream on the inside.  Allow it to dry, then polish them with a clean dry cloth.

I can send you 2 lenses plus 2 packets of Sugru (black) for $13.00.  PM me if interested.

y7CThAn.jpg?2