ATA forearms

Hi all.  I just got my first Stormtrooper armor and am starting to build.  It is ATA armor from 2013, I bought it used from a guy who had it and never got around to putting it together.  I'm starting with the forearms.  I've been looking at Pandabears build thread, thanks to him for posting that.  I cut the right forearm pieces so that when they butt together they are covered by a 5/8" cover strip that fits right inside of the raised creases front and back.   It looks great and just fits.  But on the left side, I cut the front two half's so that when they butt together they are covered by the 5/8" strip and look nice, but if I do that to the back two half's it is way to small for my arm.  I need to leave 1-3/8" material in between the two raised creases on each half if I want it to be the same size as the right forearm.  Has anyone else noticed this?  what size cover strip should I put over the butt join?  5/8" or 1-3/8" to fill the entire raised crease?  Thanks

Hi all. I just got my first Stormtrooper armor and am starting to build. It is ATA armor from 2013, I bought it used from a guy who had it and never got around to putting it together. I'm starting with the forearms. I've been looking at Pandabears build thread, thanks to him for posting that. I cut the right forearm pieces so that when they butt together they are covered by a 5/8" cover strip that fits right inside of the raised creases front and back. It looks great and just fits. But on the left side, I cut the front two half's so that when they butt together they are covered by the 5/8" strip and look nice, but if I do that to the back two half's it is way to small for my arm. I need to leave 1-3/8" material in between the two raised creases on each half if I want it to be the same size as the right forearm. Has anyone else noticed this? what size cover strip should I put over the butt join? 5/8" or 1-3/8" to fill the entire raised crease? Thanks

Could you post photos of what you are talking about. It would help us to to help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are often ways to remedy these problems, Scott, but as mentioned photos will help immensely.  Worse case scenario you could order another set from ATA.  I have purchased several items from ATA and the customer service is top-notch.

Left forearm may have issues right out of the box!  I have an ATA and my build thread link is in my signature, below. 

I was able to get my arms to fit right with the 5/8" cover strips for all joints, but my left forearm was very tight. I realized that it was oval and not round at the wrist.  I was able to give it a hot water bath and got it to open up.  I haven't had any issues with trooping with it.

So, take a look to see if it is just lopsided and needs to be more rounded!

• Like 2

Left forearm may have issues right out of the box!  I have an ATA and my build thread link is in my signature, below. 

I was able to get my arms to fit right with the 5/8" cover strips for all joints, but my left forearm was very tight. I realized that it was oval and not round at the wrist.  I was able to give it a hot water bath and got it to open up.  I haven't had any issues with trooping with it.

So, take a look to see if it is just lopsided and needs to be more rounded!

GREAT advice!

• Like 1

IMG_0466_zps0ndivr8b.jpg

Right Front after both sides trimmed

IMG_0467_zpsgb9ru0hn.jpg

Right back after both sides trimmed

IMG_0469_zpsijdlkpzr.jpg

Right front with 5/8" cover strip

IMG_0468_zpsdca3cmsz.jpg

Right back with 5/8" cover strip

IMG_0472_zpskbjauyfc.jpg

Left front after both sides trimmed

IMG_0473_zpshmil8drj.jpg

left back, only trimmed front side part 5/16" from

raised ridge

IMG_0470_zpsklcdm0sx.jpg

Left front with 5/8" cover strip

IMG_0471_zpsufmbwkrh.jpg

left back with 5/8" cover strip over seem

First off thank you for the responses, it's really great that you guys are so helpful to new members.  I finally got some pictures and downloaded them.  It seemed to take an act of god.  I have no computer skills and my wife spent three days trying to get them downloaded.  But here they are!  As I had said, this is an ATA armor from 2013.  If I cut down the left back seem anymore it will be to small for me.  I'm not sure how to do the cover strip in the back to make it look right.  I'm also worried about the upper arms.  My bycepts measure 17ish inches.  Would I put in a 5/8" cover strip in front and a larger one in back?  Or make them uniform on both sides to whatever they work out to be? Or should I have gotten larger armor?

Alright Brian looking good brother. Before we get started let's get some numbers out of the way first. Cover strip widths are as follows:

Arms 15mm 

Legs (except calves) 20mm

Calves 25mm

Return edge, the area where you'll install the cover strip should be equally divided between sides if possible. Ex. 15mm cover strip = roughly 8mm of return edge material per forearm armor side (so long as your arms permit). Some individuals have larger arms where this will not work but for most it will.

Both forearm armor sections should roughly be the same size, unless you have one arm substantially larger that would prevent this. Do a fitment test. Install the armor taped together, no cover strips. Using a fabric tape measure the outer diameter with the armor installed. What do you have?

• Like 1