Dremel/What size/kind?

New recruit here looking for advice on what kind, size, speed, brand to buy? I am just about to start trimming and sanding and want to use the correct one. Also, what grain/kind of sandpaper to use? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are planning on using it extensively after your build, there is no need to go with the actual Dremel brand.  There are alternatives you can buy that are much less expensive and work just as well.  If there is a Harbor Freight near you, they carry one that will do the job nicely: https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-31-pc-60713.html or you can do a Google search for "rotary tool".

As for accessories, you can buy a whole kit that includes the sanding drums for less than $14.00 here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pc-Rotary-Tool-Universal-Accessory-Set-Kit-Sanding-Polishing-Cutting-W-Case-/381980850752?hash=item58efd53a40:g:60UAAOSwCU1YsRW9 

If you have never used a Dremel or rotary tool like this I would highly suggest practicing on scraps of ABS before starting on your actual armor.  Keep the RPMs low at first, as these things can take out a chunk of plastic faster than you think, ruining your armor.

• Like 1

I have managed to kill a few of them and find the cheaper versions last just as long as the expensive ones, just guve them time to cool down between trimming, they do get hot. I only use a few tips, a cutting disk, drum sander and drill piece

• Like 1

I didn't use a rotary tool at all on mine... just curved lexan scissors and sandpaper :)

That's definitely​ the way I'll be doing it. I'm sure it will be more time consuming, but I don't trust myself with a rotary tool. Way too easy to slip and take off half a shin or something.

Sent from my Imperial communicator.

• Like 1

That's definitely​ the way I'll be doing it. I'm sure it will be more time consuming, but I don't trust myself with a rotary tool. Way too easy to slip and take off half a shin or something.

Sent from my Imperial communicator.

I trimmed all of my last TK with the curved lexans in a couple of hours. Maybe closer to an hour :)
  • Like 2

I went with score and snap method as I'm used to using a knife. As for sandpaper I used 80 grit for rough sanding to get to trim lines then 180 or above for final sanding. I think I used mostly 320 grit in case I slipped.

Is cordless rechargeable ok? Is it enough power or does it need to be plugged in kind of power? I'm thinking cordless...

I use a cordless (rechargeable)

I used a corded dremel with the flex tool and only the sanding bit. I highly recommend that over the score and snap, because I slipped more with the knife than going slow with the sander. And if you slip with the knife it'll leave that spot weak.

But even the sander will eat through ABS, so just keep the speed on medium and hold your hand steady - she'll take care of you easy as can be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For final sanding, I purchased a pack of 3M silicone sanding sheets.  These things are AWESOME!  You can twist, fold, and bend them every which way and they will not tear.  They seem to last forever... I used 2 sheets to do an entire set of armor and a resin E-11 and they were still in good shape.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-15-Pack-9-in-W-x-11-0000-in-L-120-Grit-Premium-Paper-Sandpaper/50191429