Shin's new ATA build!

The armor from ATA arrived yesterday and it feels surreal to finally be doing this. It's been a long road of starts and stops and life getting in the way to finally get to this point!

Everything laid out, looks like it's all here.

I'm still trying to decide on ANH hero or stunt. I'm doing some research on the differences and how they relate to an ANH sandtrooper.

I want to be a TK for a while and then switch it up to TD when I feel the need for a change. Any suggestions on hero vs stunt would be appreciated.

I'm also doing a bit of reading, looking at reference photos a d youtube videos on best ways to trim and measure. I'll post my check list and supplies list soon.57b309b298bbb8210da8a5eaa1d1b4a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ahh! the smell of ABS  ;) love it, congrats. Another build, exciting.

As for your TD question. If at times your want to look like a Sandtrooper (TD) your best bet is to build a Heavy Weapons Trooper. The TD weathering (Dirt) required is permanent, technically once it's applied is very difficult to remove, not to mention the TD also will not have the AB button plates required with any TK and you'll need to purchase a different sniper knee than what you were sold. If you build a HWT you truly have the best of both worlds with very little, non permanent changes. Do some reading on the difference and you know what I mean.

The differences between TK Hero and Stunt are subtle, regardless of which you're still a clean TK. 

Welcome to the World of White, Shelby.  You will love your ATA.  I just did my 42nd troop in mine a couple weeks ago in St Pete.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.  Right now, I'm also helping Btabc with his ANH Stunt and he is just starting. PM me or find me on FB,

I see you are on the TBS forum already. Jen will send you a welcome package.  Can't wait to get you, Juno and the Jawa Trooping with us!

Edited by wingnut65

Welcome! I just answered your PM then found this post. If you'd like to bring your kit to my place in Clearwater I'd be happy to get you started as I too have an ATA kit with over 120 troops on it. I can pencil in all the trim lines for you for peace of mind. Also as an Attache its part of the job!

Welcome! I just answered your PM then found this post. If you'd like to bring your kit to my place in Clearwater I'd be happy to get you started as I too have an ATA kit with over 120 troops on it. I can pencil in all the trim lines for you for peace of mind. Also as an Attache its part of the job!

That is an amazingly helpful offer! I have some work obligations over the next week to 2 weeks. I'll PM you and we can set up some time. I don't plan to do any cutting yet anyway, until I have all the materials and items I need.

Thanks a bunch!

• 1 month later...

It's taken me a while to get back to this but I've started trimming and I'm having trouble finding definitive info on return edges.... it seems like it's not a very strict guideline.

Here's my forearm and bicep trimming. I have not sanded and smoothed the edges yet, I'm waiting to decide if I'm going to take more off or not.

Any thoughts on this? I'm also drawing in my cut lines on the torso pieces. I'm just starting to do some research on how all of the return edges should be cut. 

For me I trimmed return edge off on the inside edge of bicep and forarm. Leaving a bit on outside edge for illusion of thickness. Remember to remove all return edge at wrist side. Do the pc.s fit now taped up for test fitting? If so then good. If not trim a little more. 

• Like 2

Randy mentions a good point. The return edge gives the illusion of thickness and is not required in most areas. He also suggested putting the two halves together (using painters tape) and performing a fitment test on your arm. This is best done with a under suit when all possible. There are plenty of build threads to follow here. Find someone that's gone Centurion and follow their lead. Anyway looks like you're headed in the right direction, keep up the good work :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks, part the problem I have with the build threads is so many of them are using RS or another manufacturer that comes with cut lines. In that case most people, tutorials or what have you usually say "now cut along the lines."

No lines here, at least none terribly defined. That being said I'm planning to use double snap method so I'm not going to need the edge for the brackets.

More cutting tonight, thanks guys!

Alright I've taken some time to read and re-read some material about fitting the forearms. I'm a pretty small guy so the left forearm is troublesome where the right one is the better one. Some/most other people have the reverse issue. I've had to leave quite a bit of return edge on the left forearm in order to get it to fit like the right one. This won't be noticeable when worn, and it bothered me at first but I don't think it's a huge issue.

As long as it fits on both sides I'm happy with it and I'll glue this weekend.

Edited by Shin

Looking nice Shelby, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In the grand scheme of things it's a minimal issue that is very common as you've discovered. Add foam as suggested earlier and you'll do fine. ;) Keep up the good work. 

Thanks ukswrath, is trimming of the length ever necessary to get them to fit? I read somewhere that someone was trimming length and the only reason I could see that being necessary is trimming the excess off of the wrist side after lining up the top?

The only logical reason to trim the length is if your arms were not long enough and maybe for comfort. Trimming the wrist side to even out both inner and outer halves is another.

Edit: Trimming the wrist side to remove the return edge is also mandatory for Centurion.

In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOjG0eoFWA) TK1636 talks about resizing the forearms by removing all of the flat return edge from the back side of the forearm. Is there any further information on that somewhere? I have small forearms and I'll have "popeye" arms if I don't do something about it before I start gluing. From the sounds of it he used the standard 15mm cover strip and possibly bent the back side of the forearms to make a new flat piece to adhere to?

There's nothing wrong with removing all the flat edge off the back.

As for the assembly procedure I suggest you apply the cover strips to one side ex. front and rear on the outer half, then let cure for a few days. After drying finish the front inner and outer half connection, let dry again. Finally connect the rear. Note the rear halves will be at a odd angle from each other So you'll need to find a way to force the angle flat. A good method is place a piece of 1/2" thick wood over the length of the cover strip and tape it to the armor. If you have the tape and wood pressure tight enough it will force the cover strip downward causing the two halves to align. 

That said, trim the forearms and biceps equally. The last thing you want is really small forearms and large biceps.

I've decided to give it a try...

It's just a test fit but I think it's getting somewhere... I could probably even go smaller on the forearms. This is with all the flat edge taken off of both halves in the back.

What do you think, smaller?d333209a9d3d21c759aa51f82f927117.jpg8e26a443fd96776b263d887fe9de1717.jpg

Foam will help keep things aligned later. With any armor you can only trim it down so far. Plus figure you dont want skinny limbs on a torso you can't shrink down.

I went slightly smaller after this photo was taken, I think it's about as small as I want to go. I took the upward curve (leftover from the flat edge) off of the back half. Once they're together it will round out and be much better I think.

Next thing I may do is actually shorten them. I may cut off just after the first divet at the wrist. More research needed and I want to try to find some photos from someone that has done this. If I don't, I feel like the half guard will collide with the forearms and look silly.0b81a078de3e0924af3d3ff801563b58.jpg317023455086dc129bebe523664d022e.jpgdea1720d148cd99262613eb4998877c3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the kind offer to help, the truth is this year has not been kind to my family and the money and time spent on this is better spent going towards medical expenses.

It's unfortunate but that is the reality.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk