Mikes TM 2mm ANH Stunt build

Right, here we go.

Had the box for a few weeks now, Still at the trimming stage.
Bells - trimming done.

TD - Had an issue with one of the end caps. I heated the plastics to slide over the pipes but when cooled it split.

Spoke with Paul and another one will be on route shortly.

Belt trimmed

Drop boxes trimmed. Need to go a bit further on the inner box is it's not flush with the outer box just yet.

Trimmed the right bicep this evening.
Because I'm waiting for heads up that it's ok from those that know, I've not sanded! Once deemed acceptable I'll neaten it up!!

innerbicep_R.jpg

innerbicep_R2.jpg

Innerbicep_R3.jpg

Innerbicep_R4.jpg

Innerbicep_R5.jpg

This photo is edge to edge after trimming rough edges before measuring.

sizing_issue_2.jpg

Not going to cut to size  today but just for kicks I thought I'd put them together to measure and see how they look
I was a little put off by how high the outer was to the inner -edge to edge (above photo) but once i slid one inside the other to size to my arm, it looked a bit better

sizing_top3.jpg

Pressumably, when trimmed to size, this will disappear and it should look better.
sizing_top4.jpg

sizing_top5.jpg

sizingbottom.jpg

sizing_issue_2.jpg

sizing_bottom_2.jpg

upper_top.jpg

This is the side that doesn't match. May need advice on this side when coming to cut and glue the shims!
size_side_rear.jpg

Other side looks good :)
sizesidefront.jpg

sizing.jpg

Silly question but have to ask...
Is there a correct way to measure? I've got the inner bicep inside the outer at one edge but opposite at the other.

Edited by Mikeyg
  • Like 1

You're doing good. Just make sure to take from each side evenly when you trim down. If you take all from one side your coverstrips wont line up front to back. So say you measure a 15mm overlap. Remove 7.5mm from each side. And the bicep that doesn't quite line up at top isn't a problem. The coverstrip when added makes it look better and bell covers most of it anyway. When sizing have your compression top on to get accurate sizing. And don't make it to loose or to tight. A couple of fingers should be able to fit in under edge is a good size. Good Luck Mike and keep up the good work. We'll keep an eye on you along the way.

• Like 1

Looking good.  During the building stage you will find things like this seeming misalignment on your bicep.  It seems like something went wrong, but a lot of us experienced the same thing and it gets fixed with trimming and adjustments.  Hang in there.

• Like 1

The first thing you need to realise about the original ANH armour (and TM) is that none of the parts match up perfectly. That is just how they were. Just cut your joining strips to match the shorter part for screen accuracy or longer if you prefer to hide the mismatch - either is good :)

Bicep_Left_03.jpg

In regards to sizing the biceps, tape them together as you have and try taking your helmet off your head (or just pretend if you haven't built the helmet). You don't want any binding when you flex your muscles. You won't be doing any acrobatics so they don't need to be too loose but they should be able to slide up and down your biceps freely, same goes for the forearms when you come to assemble those too.

Thanks guys. That picture Paul makes me feel a whole lot better. Good calls about testing with compression on and taking the helmet off with regard to the biceps.

Think I've just got a bit in a muddle after the first few bits (Td & shoulder straps) didnt go exactly to plan!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Feel a lot better today for having Paul point me towards a picture of the bicep and it's mis-sizing.

As said, I think because a few things have not gone as plan so far, I thought I'd done something wrong with the bicep.
Ironically, the other bicep matches up perfectly in size before trimming!
Also Ironically, that image is included in my go to TM build thread that Mark Gage built. Grrr.

I started today by taping both left and right bicep together and play with the fit.

bicepsboth.jpg

Once it "seemed" comfy, I put a bit more tape on, put on my compression undersuit top and had a quick look to see how they felt and looked.
They felt ok but without strapping holding them in place I'm not 100% sure if I have them right.

biceptest.jpg

Not sure if the top is pointing out too much... but hard to tell as it will be eventually strapped and covered by the bells
biceptopspace2.jpg
biceptopspace.jpg

Finger space between the arm and plastic.
bicepfingerspace.jpg

I then started trimming the forearms.
Hope these are ok.

forearm2.jpg

forearm1.jpg

forearm4.jpg

forearm5.jpg

Everyone happy with the return edge on the elbows?

Now I've watched Ross's videos for trimming the forearm and he states there should be no return edge on the wrist.
TM kit has a lovely return edge there too!

forearm_returnedge_2.jpg

forearm_return_edge.jpg

I trimmed but didn't want to take off the wrist edge just in case there were differences between Ross's RWA kit and others.
Having done a bit more homework around other peoples builds and the CRL, I'm confident the edges are to go so that'll be first job tomorrow.

I taped up the forearm along the edge that will have the cover strip and put on to have a look and see how much I'm likely to need to take off.
For an average bloke I must have surprisingly little arms (Always preferred leg day at the gym) as I'll need to give it a good trim!

forearminner.jpg

forearmouter.jpg

On the subject of trimming to glue...
I'm heading back to the UK from here in Cyprus for a wedding and to see the family at the end of July and first week in August.
I'm tempted to just basic trim the armour down for now and then shove it all in a suitcase and bring the trimmed kit and strapping kit with me and try and beg/plead anyone local to help me set up or join in an armour party.
Not sure how I'd go about it but any troopers in the UK Yorkshire region (or close by.... absolutely willing to travel!) give me a shout!
Having someone there to help and guide would be bliss! Plus I should be closer to my target weight by then. Don't want to start on sizing the torso and thighs before I get rid. Another 7kgs and I'm there.

I think tomorrow I'm going to take stock and read though Mark's TM build thread again and do some more homework reading through other build threads and rewatch Ross's videos of trimming the torso and legs.
New knife will arrive too so will score and snap the belt and ammo
I'll get the scissors back out over the weekend.

Edited by Mikeyg

Hi Mike,<br><br>

I am actually building another TM kit and facing some similar issues during the trimming process. You mentioned "Ross's trimming videos". Unfortunately I do not know exactly how to find this videos on youtube. Could you share a link or some more information.<br><br>

Thanks<br><br>

Edit:<br>

Found Ross on YT I guess. Very helpful indeed.

Edited by Schmetterhemd

I just watched a couple of Ross's videos. Let's just say he does things differently from me. If you ever get stuck on something, your best reference is always the original armour. While these types of assembly videos are good for beginners, they lack certain details when it comes to accurately building armour.

I'm making notes from other builds as I go.

I've 4 or 5 open tabs of build threads of TM kit as these are more relevant.

Having the visual reference of Ross's videos is extremely helpful but reading comments from other threads all goes towards the end product!

If you know any build threads of your kit that you endorse and want to point me towards Paul, please feel free! :)

Kids have been playing up today so not much of the weekend left to work on my kit (as seems to be a running theme since my brown box arrived!)

I've been trimming forearms tonight and I noticed on another thread you stated that you start at the elbows, get that lined up and then take off at the wrist. Didn't think of that so glad I found it!

I've taped up to size but think I'll need to take more off at the wrist as it seems to ride high into the wrist when I flex my arm up towards my face (to simulate taking my lid off) Think I've small forearms!

Also, it seems quite loose at the wrist but it I take it in any more I struggle to get my wrist out. Presumably a gap is normal?

Hard to gauge though just by hand. Trying to work out where it will sit when strapped.

31degrees out today, when I had my compression top on, got hot very quick! Bloody living on a holiday island! Roll on winter!

Knackered and got our long day at work tomorrow, up at 5am. Will post pics of the forearms when I get home.

Edited by Mikeyg

Done some good homework last couple of nights and now got a good selection of TM builds to use as a reference and give me a bit of confidence for this one.
I've not much time today before going out and I'm having a break from the arms so all i've done today is draw my trim lines on the body parts.
In another TM build thread, Paul stated he'd leave a good return on the back but drop everywhere else down to 5mm on the 2mm thick stuff.

Another thing mentioned in another thread was this is my suit, not going to get it exactly like anyone elses and to stop worrying and enjoy the build.

I certainly want to do that.
Been wanting to do this all my life and I've spent the first couple of weeks bricking it I'm going to bugger it up and not get cleared!

My plan with the trimming is to be conservative. I can always trim more off but can't put it back!
If these are given the go, I'll get on with cutting tomorrow.

15_D_8215.jpg

15_D_8214.jpg

15_D_8213.jpg

15_D_8212.jpg

15_D_8211.jpg

15_D_8210.jpg

15_D_8209.jpg

15_D_8208.jpg

15_D_8207.jpg

15_D_8206.jpg

15_D_8205.jpg

15_D_8204.jpg

15_D_8203.jpg

15_D_8202.jpg

15_D_8201.jpg

15_D_8200.jpg

15_D_8199.jpg

15_D_8198.jpg

Formed a bit rough round here so carefully drew round on this one!
15_D_8197.jpg

15_D_8196.jpg

15_D_8195.jpg

15_D_8194.jpg

15_D_8193.jpg

15_D_8192.jpg

15_D_8191.jpg

'Bout right. Took some Tramadol to take the edge off dodgey knee pain, slept for an hour, woke up feeling like i've been in bed for days!
Not getting back to sleep anytime soon so and got a "go for it" from one of the UKG armourers so may as well have a go at one of the big bits!
Chest piece.
If trim looks good I'll sand down and make nice.

Oooh, thats a question.
Are there any tips for sanding? I've been using 100/180 grit, nail buffering files.
I've a dremel, is there any tool for that which does a better job?

15_D_8224.jpg

15_D_8223.jpg

15_D_8222.jpg

15_D_8221.jpg

15_D_8218.jpg

15_D_8217.jpg

15_D_8216.jpg

I use this bit in my Dremel.

A14R_1_20140428507870540.jpg

I use tin snips to do most of the trimming and then the Lexan scissors for smaller cuts. This bit does a great job and lasts forever, but be careful when using it (or any other bit) as any slips can mark or damage the armour. After using the bit to do the fine trimming to my pencil lines, I scrape off the burrs with a sharp knife then sand smooth with fine sand paper. I find this process to the best technique for trimming the 2mm ABS.

• Like 1

I use this bit in my Dremel.

A14R_1_20140428507870540.jpg

I use tin snips to do most of the trimming and then the Lexan scissors for smaller cuts. This bit does a great job and lasts forever, but be careful when using it (or any other bit) as any slips can mark or damage the armour. After using the bit to do the fine trimming to my pencil lines, I scrape off the burrs with a sharp knife then sand smooth with fine sand paper. I find this process to the best technique for trimming the 2mm ABS.

Excellent! Got one of those!   :)

I've a lot more control and accuracy these days over the dremel after buying a shaft extender to help with my E11 build.

Edited by Mikeyg

Right, tonight I finished (well, it will be when they dry) my first parts!!

Thought I needed to have something I could say was complete :)

I glued the elastics onto the bells.

Having misplaced my gluesticks (AKA McDonalds coffee stirrers) I improvised and used one half of a deceased pair of lexans that didn't survive the early days of cutting!

15_D_8227.jpg

After cutting the elastic to size, I singed the ends then stuck and clamped to the bottom of the bells.

Using E6000 so will check on that tomorrow.

15_D_8229.jpg

15_D_8228.jpg

After that, I continued trimming of the kidney plate.

Trimming has not been tidied up, I just want clarification I'm about right with the initial cuts on the return edge. I know I need to get closer into the 45degree corners which I'll do when sanding.

15_D_8238.jpg

15_D_8237.jpg

15_D_8236.jpg

15_D_8235.jpg

15_D_8234.jpg

15_D_8233.jpg

15_D_8231.jpg

15_D_8230.jpg

Hope the returns are OK

Edited by Mikeyg

Looking good Mike. Round file or sanding block works really nice for smoothing the return edges to help prevent them from snagging on your under suit.

All torso parts now trimmed and sanded smooth.

No point posting loads more pics as they all more or less had the same return edges that wee being passed as good.

Lower bell elastic in place and looks good.

I've trimmed the biceps to my correct measurement now and ready for coverstrips

Can I just get clarification that for arms it's 13mm, legs 23mm?

I've a good supply of 30mm strips from Paul so plenty of score and snap to come!

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it at last!
New shoulder bridge has arrived from Paul so soon time to make one of them look like the one on the right after cropping too close on the one in the middle!

new_shoulder_bridge.jpg

First things first...
Placement of the straps in the bells
bell2pop3.jpg

bellspop1.jpg

bellspop2.jpg

bellspop4.jpg

Exciting bit!
Time for my first partial suit up! :)
suitup1.jpg

suitup2.jpg
Does the placement of the strapping look ok? Good for gluing?

Marked out the places I need to rivet
Abdomen
abdomen_rivet.jpg
From looking at it, I've not dealt with rivets before.
I can work out the split rivets ant cap rivets but I need guidance on this one.
When I've put the rivet through the ABS and put the washer on the other side. How do I secure it?

Groin
groin_rivet.jpg

Hips
hips_rivet.jpg

Paul has nicely marked out the 3 rivet placements on the abdomen

rivet_guide.jpg
Need to mark out the kidney.

rivet_placement.jpg

Think I've seen the measurements on another build thread for how far in from the edge to start

Rivet tools. I bought a pop gun but not sure it's needed with the rivets supplied.
Reckon I'm going to be using those punch tools on the right for the rivets!
rivet_tools.jpg

Got a popper punch tool for adding the poppers to the belt.
popper_punch.jpg

So, just need confirmation on -
 the bells elastic is in the right place and I can remove the tape and glue
 help with how to secure the abdomen rivet.
 4mm bit to drill the holes for rivets?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the first leg pictures.
Not sure if I need both on to get the idea, if so I'll redo them.

Full leg
rightleg.jpg

Calf (top rides about middle of knee cap)
calf.jpg

Thigh (pulled as high as I could)
thigh.jpg

Showing bend. I could'nt bend the my lower leg much. I expect not to have full range but unsure of how much.
legbend.jpg

I'm 5.10 but have fairly small (well set) legs.

I reckon some will need to come off the thighs and calves.

In the meantime.
I drilled holes in the abdomen and kidney for rivets

abdemen_rivet.jpg
groinrivet.jpg

I've progressed with the arms.
I've finished bells and biceps now and glued the shoulder straps onto the chest.

bellsbicep.jpg
shoulders1.jpg
shoulders2.jpg
shoulders3.jpg

The only thing on arms left to do is the forearms. I've glued the strapping poppers into the bells and biceps tonight so tomorrow I should be able to try the top half of the suit. (I'll put a temp tape fitting the bicep to forearm elastic while sizing)
Got good feedback from TM on where the strapping for arms needs placing.

I'm waiting on some rivet tools to add the split rivets.
I tried on some spare plastic bastardising the rivets. I got one out of three right so best to wait for the tools before using on the real stuff!
Unless there's a better way of doing it without the tool?
That means the belt has to wait as I'm also expecting a fabric punch tool.

I'll leave the trimming of the knee plate (sniper) until the calves are ready and glued.
Along with the ammo strap round the thigh, I reckon they'll be last to complete.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas on the legs, please comment

Looking good. Wait for the proper snap tools. Legs, there are sever build threads to follow in regards to specs. Suggestion, don't take off too much or else the legs may look odd in relation to other armor sections. You're better off adding foam to the inside to take up any space. The foam can also be used to maintain alignment. 

Hope this helps