New Builder and My Plans

Hello all,

I am 17 years old currently, and looking to join the 501st in less than a year. I am going to do my first build (A New Hope TK). I have not decided which Armour kit I will go with, I am deciding between ATA and Anovos. I figured that by the time I finally get my kit from the waiting list and build it, I will be well into my 18th year. If anyone has any suggestions on the kit brands it would be much appreciated to let me know your thoughts! I have pages of notes that I have taken so far. I cannot wait to post my first build!

• Like 1

No matter how tempting it may be, avoid the cheaper priced armor makers. Mainly I am speaking of ones on EBay. I bought one myself because it was easier to convince my wife and so far it is a pain because one, the armor is recast or stolen from an actual armor maker and two, there are no cut or trim lines already on the armor. This is the biggest pain because you have to judge by eye and hope you are trimming it to spec. Either way, take your time and enjoy the build. The overall experience is what counts.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD.

You will find everything you need to know on these forums, the WIP posts are a great asset as you begin your build, even before purchase of your kit, you can see what you've gotten yourself into :)...........just kidding, it's great fun once you start.

Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

It seems that I have found another question. I decided that I want to my armor to be in the A New Hope category, but there are two different types of armor, Stunt and Hero. Do I choose based of which one I think looks better, is it dependent on my size? Some clarification would be super helpful. Thank You!

Edited by swmediayt

First, Welcome to your adventure! "Stunt" TK's are the most common one's. The "Hero" is the one's the so called Hero's Han and Luke wore. The Hero was used in the close up scenes in the movie. The differences in the two is Hero has a different helmet and belt.

Edited by magni

After some more research, I have decided to go with the Anovos kit. I looked at their 2017 TK kit and really liked it, however, there is something I cannot figure out. There are 3 options, a no soft, medium soft, and large soft. The medium and large soft cost $200 more than the no soft. What exactly is this "soft"? If it is sizes, I would imagine going with no soft because I am 5'5 and 120 lbs (it's amazing what cross country will do for ya). But, if it has to do with comfort or padding, I am willing to pay the extra $200 if necessary.   

"Soft" refers to the soft goods - undersuit and neckseal. What Anovos supplies in terms of soft goods is not worth the extra $200 they want for it.

• Like 1

I have purchased the Anovos kit! I believe it should arrive sometime in the fall... now to wait. I will read through some Anovos kit builds and also pay attention to the modifications that need to be made in order to meet the 501st requirements. In the meantime I will be getting my supplies together, and getting into contact with my local 501st members and garrison to find out when the next armor party is. 

Awesome  :jc_doublethumbup:  I went with Anovos and couldn't be happier!  When you start your build make the few modifications to bring your build to the level of Centurion. This will entail  replacing the belt and also the screens on the Hovi tips. Not much to replace for accuracy. Let the Journey begin and just have fun with it!  Look at the Anovos build thread.  :smiley-sw013: