Rubies Armor - first look

Hey folks,

Had the misfortune of seeing the Rubies armor up close at San Diego Comic-Con. I haven't taken pics yet, but I'm sure we'll have some soon from me or someone else.

The suit is hard plastic and, though it appears molded from a ROTJ suit (ridges on edges), it is very warped. The Rubies guy actually told an interested party ahead of me that the armor they see on most people costs $4k to complete and this is licensed and only $1k. When I came up, he answered some assembly questions (mostly velcro and elastic) and told me that most other suits run $6k to complete and this is only $1k. He asked if I'd seen the other suits, I replied politely that I have one, he hesitated and asked me how much it cost to complete, I told him about $800. He said well, considering the work it must have required, the two are about the same.

The helmet is hideous, absolutely hideous, and the armor is very warped. No one should worry about this being accepted into the Legion.

Phil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I held and almost got a chance to try it on... They chickened.

The two funniest things at CJ.

1, Those armors...

2, being asked to do "Promo" shots there... In my Vader... I laughed all the way through the shoot.

Rubies armor is flimsy, and not put on the manny at all correct. See pic above...

I think with alot of work, tossing the helmet and replacing some peices one could have allright armor. But for a starting price and all the work involved, Not a chance.

If it hits 300 or so, maybe.

Im here at comic con but havent seen it yet

I held and almost got a chance to try it on... They chickened.

The two funniest things at CJ.

1, Those armors...

2, being asked to do "Promo" shots there... In my Vader... I laughed all the way through the shoot.

Rubies armor is flimsy, and not put on the manny at all correct. See pic above...

I think with alot of work, tossing the helmet and replacing some peices one could have allright armor. But for a starting price and all the work involved, Not a chance.

If it hits 300 or so, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie to the whole stormtrooper theme but am still learning.

Can somebody please point out what so bad about this armor instead say all "gah" or "that thing need to be beat down"?

Point out the bad things about it and acknowledge it would be helpful. ;)

For one the helmet is completely inaccurate and looks ridiculous. The armor has a lot of warping and looks to be made of materials that are sub standard. Oh and its totally overpriced. Here check out some more pics of it. Thanks to Journeymanproctor and Burge for taking these------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

that is god awful!!!

plus its half based on ROTJ,which was the worst looking of all the OT armor (no offense to the ROTJ troopers here). it looks like kiddie crap and cost more than an AP ot TE2 kit. if it was 100-200 bucks id say it was fairly priced, and good for any halloweener that wanted something a little better than a painted jumpsuit stormtrooper.

just by looking at the pics of this and then those kits i mentioned, you can easily see the difference. Its not even a matter of its a crappy looking stormtrooper, its just looks like a cheaply made item, reguardless of what it is. i can spot crap pretty well, and this looks like crap.

I get annoyed that the lucas company actually allows them to make stuff like this. Ya I know its cool to make a buck but its also cool to have nice reproductions of your work, not clown jobs of it.

How is it that I can build a screen accurate biker scout costume 1/3 the normal size for a child with having VERY LITTLE prop making skills and while spending 1/5 what they want for this? This company has years in the costume business and for $1k thats the best they can shell out?

If I may offer Rubies one piece of advice..... Fire your entire staff and hire people who can create something that is really worth $1k. Its not very hard to search these forums and search people out who have those skills. HIRE THEM!

Who do they think is seriously dumb enough to purchase this? 1k is alot of money! I could see costume stores possibly buying these to rent out, but even that is pushing it. But how about making a real quality product and setting it at the right price so that you can market to the fans and have a reasonable chance at marketing it?

Maybe im just a dumb firefighter who doesnt know bantha fodder but I sure as hell am not dumb enough to spend 1k on that disaster.

MandalorianWarrior87 said:
That is seriously over priced!!! And why is it the "Supreme Edition"? Is there a "Normal" one and if so what will that look like?

This is their "normal" one.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Who do they think is seriously dumb enough to purchase this? 1k is alot of money! I could see costume stores possibly buying these to rent out, but even that is pushing it. But how about making a real quality product and setting it at the right price so that you can market to the fans and have a reasonable chance at marketing it?

the real tragedy is probably a lot of folks will buy it!

Respect

P.

I had a similar experience at the con they were talking up their suit and its "cheap" price.I walked up in mt TK some people looked at it and looked at me and then came over to talk to me about my armor. "Hey your armor looks great" "better that that one!" .The dude at the booth gave me a dirty look I could see through bubble lenses. I was just comming over to check out the suit myself. ahhh well

I had a similar experience at the con they were talking up their suit and its "cheap" price.I walked up in mt TK some people looked at it and looked at me and then came over to talk to me about my armor. "Hey your armor looks great" "better that that one!" .The dude at the booth gave me a dirty look I could see through bubble lenses. I was just comming over to check out the suit myself. ahhh well

I've heard of quite a few similar stories. Rubies reps were quoting suits that we all wear at upwards of $5k!