Btabc's Stormtrooper build

Btabc

*NOTICE* No images yet... I've tried uploading pics, but keeps telling me that imgur is not a allowed file extension?!  Will be uploading soon...  Fixed :)

*EDIT* Adding a color indicator for what I've got completed and what I don't:

I have 3 initial stages that I'm aiming for:

Stage 1: Cut out and fit the parts (Finishing Helmet last)   -  This part is finished!!!!

Stage 2: Glue and snaps (followed with/by photos for approval)

-2A - Entry Level Approval  -  Basic Approval Achieved!!!!  (I have all the "requirements for EIB and Centurion, but have not started the approval process yet)

-2B - EIB Approval - not started

-2C - Centurion Approval - not started

Stage 3: Troop!

So I ordered my kit last week from AP (Thank you Mark) and it arrived today!  Even though the tracking STILL says it's out to be shipped... tomorrow lol.  I was notified that there was a "big" box at my door and so when I got home there was a BIG box:

1HWDfZv.jpg

Was not expecting that when I walked through my front door lol.  I took everything out and started making sure it's all there... even though I might have overlooked one thing in my excitement... (sorry Mark).... it is  :D

ejkwOyw.jpg

I looked at what I had and was a little nervous at what I would start on.  I debated on the shins, helmet, forearms and so on until I settled on the abdominal/cod plate:

KrLUt51.jpg

That was my practice cut... found out that I have to keep a constant pressure to make sure my scoring marks don't slip!  I MIGHT have shed a little blood on this one... but makes it all that more special to me  ;)

So I made the last two (or several dozen final cuts) and came out with a base line for this:

aRAxc4P.jpg

Still have a few lines to clean up, but I always like giving myself some extra room on the sides so I don't make too many mistakes.  It can always be sanded down  :)

Edited by Btabc
  • Like 3

First, congrats on BBB day!  If you are interested, Eric from the Tampa Bay Squad is hosting an armor party/barbeque in Clearwater this Sunday.  There will be quite a few people there who will be more glad to help you with any questions you may have.  Ken (piettlives) will also be there.  He is the Imperial Attache for the Tampa Bay Squad and is a wealth of knowledge that he will be happy to share with you.

Have you signed up at the FL. Garrison site yet?   http://www.fl501st.com/boards/

If so, here is a link to more info:  http://www.fl501st.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=34770

• Like 3

Woo Hoo! Another build, awesome  :D

:popcorn:

:D once I get home I'll be doing more!  

First, congrats on BBB day!  If you are interested, Eric from the Tampa Bay Squad is hosting an armor party/barbeque in Clearwater this Sunday.  There will be quite a few people there who will be more glad to help you with any questions you may have.  Ken (piettlives) will also be there.  He is the Imperial Attache for the Tampa Bay Squad and is a wealth of knowledge that he will be happy to share with you.

Have you signed up at the FL. Garrison site yet?   http://www.fl501st.com/boards/

If so, here is a link to more info:  http://www.fl501st.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=34770

Thank you, Joseph!  I have signed up with TBS (Same name as here) and WILL be making it to the AP this Sunday ;).  Jeff (wingnut) has been helping me a lot and giving TONS of pointers so I have to take my hat (or helmet) off to him as well!  

Looking forward to watching this thread. Congrats on your BBB day!

Thank you very much, I look forward to sharing more :D

• Like 1

Thank you, Joseph!  I have signed up with TBS (Same name as here) and WILL be making it to the AP this Sunday ;).  Jeff (wingnut) has been helping me a lot and giving TONS of pointers so I have to take my hat (or helmet) off to him as well!  

Thank you very much, I look forward to sharing more :D

Jeff is a great guy and a good friend of mine, and I'm not surprised to hear that he has been a big help!   I suggest bringing all the tools you can with you, (Dremel, etc.) as well as strapping and such.  Most APs will have them on hand, but when there are multiple people doing builds it's best to have your own.

Hopefully you are aiming for EIB and then Centurion level.  It's really best to do it during your build rather than after and it makes your armor much more screen accurate.  If I can be of any help, just let me know, and once you get approved you are invited to join us on a troop in Makaze Squad territory!

• Like 2

Jeff is a great guy and a good friend of mine, and I'm not surprised to hear that he has been a big help!   I suggest bringing all the tools you can with you, (Dremel, etc.) as well as strapping and such.  Most APs will have them on hand, but when there are multiple people doing builds it's best to have your own.

Hopefully you are aiming for EIB and then Centurion level.  It's really best to do it during your build rather than after and it makes your armor much more screen accurate.  If I can be of any help, just let me know, and once you get approved you are invited to join us on a troop in Makaze Squad territory!

Thank you for the suggestions!  As all I'm doing right now is just cutting/trimming/fitting everything to myself I shouldn't require much, but I'll keep that in mind!

That's my goal, Centurion! :)  I felt the same way that it's easier to make it the highest level possibly now than it would be later.  I also look forward to trooping with y'all in the MST! Thank you for the invite, I look forward to it :)

That's my goal, Centurion! :)  I felt the same way that it's easier to make it the highest level possibly now than it would be later.  I also look forward to trooping with y'all in the MST! Thank you for the invite, I look forward to it :)

:jc_doublethumbup:   We have some really cool troops here.  We did over 260 events last year in the Makaze Squad, including Legoland and several troops at Disney World.

:jc_doublethumbup:   We have some really cool troops here.  We did over 260 events last year in the Makaze Squad, including Legoland and several troops at Disney World.

Legoland... I have not been to yet!  However, gotta admit that it's nice to be able to do things like these!  I'm definitely gonna have to join y'all now! ;)

Edited by Btabc

WooooHoooo!  Glad to see that you have started this thread when you BBB arrived!  I am thrilled your wait was so short for it to arrive.  After all, the LibCon was only 2 weeks ago!

Yes, the TBS squad will be more than helpful at the AP. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, besides lending the ab button paints!

WooooHoooo!  Glad to see that you have started this thread when you BBB arrived!  I am thrilled your wait was so short for it to arrive.  After all, the LibCon was only 2 weeks ago!

Yes, the TBS squad will be more than helpful at the AP. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, besides lending the ab button paints!

Hey after seeing your armor up and close, I decided to go ahead and start mine!  I'm also glad that it arrived earlier than expected!!!!!  I thought it was longer than 2 weeks ago that I saw yours haha.

I look forward to the AP and I'll be sure to let you know if there's anything you can help with, but please let me know likewise! :)

Welcome, Looking forward to watching this thread

Thank you very much! :D

So after yet another day (only a few hours of being able to work on my armor) I at least was able to clean up the abdominal piece:

nnY7zC2.jpg

And then start in on the left shin piece... and thank Darth Vader that Mark labeled the pieces with a "L" & a "R"!!!!  So made a initial cut with the least intimidating part:

MxlaFar.jpg

Of course after I finished the one part of the shin, I moved onto the next part:

iJyu5hu.jpg

After doing this I have a lot of rough lines, but I've decided to break out the dremel and get some more bits so I can get a faster sanding job and then finish up with my smooth sanding paper.  But so far it's a start :)

Not to spoil your plans, but I only used my Dremel to open the eyes and space between the teeth.  I didn't trust myself to not allow the speeding bit to get a way from me.  ABS Paste can make repairs, but they can also be prevented!

Instead of the foam sanding block, get something with a solid backing to it.  It will give you a much straighter line.  Something like this in plastic or rubber would work:

warner-sandpaper-25237-64_1000.jpg

Or, I made this from a 20" sanding belt and a 1x piece of lumber.  I rounded the ends to match the radius of the sanding belt: I have several grits and this one is noted as 120 grit.

khOnkb7.jpg

The Ab could use a little more to be sanded off to remove the flare.  It should come across the face and then go down and not to flare again.

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 1

Looking good so far! I agree you have to trim a little more on the ab. The return edge needs to lose that bot and dead end at 90° from face edge of armor.Keep up the good work!

Not to spoil your plans, but I only used my Dremel to open the eyes and space between the teeth.  I didn't trust myself to not allow the speeding bit to get a way from me.  ABS Paste can make repairs, but they can also be prevented!

Instead of the foam sanding block, get something with a solid backing to it.  It will give you a much straighter line.  Something like this in plastic or rubber would work:

56150-01-1000.jpg

Or, I made this from a 20" sanding belt and a 1x piece of lumber.  I rounded the ends to match the radius of the sanding belt: I have several grits and this one is noted as 120 grit.

053%20-%20DSCN1282_zpshtzjl99d.jpg

The Ab could use a little more to be sanded off to remove the flare.  It should come across the face and then go down and not to flare again.

You're not spoiling my plans at all!  I like to have input and suggestions!!! :)

I actually went out to Lowes and got myself a sanding wedge (forget what it's called), but it's similar to what you've recommended!!!  Also, I've fixed the ab and will be uploading pics shortly! :)

Great seeing you at the AP as well, learned a lot and it made it easier for me to continue on with my build after coming to a "roadblock".

Looking good so far! I agree you have to trim a little more on the ab. The return edge needs to lose that bot and dead end at 90° from face edge of armor.Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much :) I've fixed it and will be uploading pics shortly! :D

• Like 1

What I have so far

W2QZafI.jpg

One below I still have a few edges to trim up, but I wanted to wait for the very end!

auX33R3.jpg

Below:

My box so far of the items that I've got to the point of where they SHOULD be fine for when I get ready to snap together:

1z4Ux85.jpg

Below:

Just the few things I've got left to do... the ones that are sitting inside the tub NEED to be trimmed.  Ones wrapped in tape are ones I am going to trim away the returns slowly and then start adding the cover strips and inside strips :D

LmTbT3S.jpg

Below:

No return on the forearms!!!  Thanks for the tip, Jeff! :)

vQi7zpC.jpg

Also, this is the right size to fit around my forearm with some room so it's not too tight :)

• Like 1

Doing good Bryce, keep up the great work  :duim:

Thank you very much, Tony!  

I've been working some more on this and will be uploading the photos soon... hopefully within the next few days! :)  

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Tony!  

I've been working some more on this and will be uploading the photos soon... hopefully within the next few days! :)

:jc_doublethumbup:

Glad we could do lunch yesterday for some motivational talk and working out some fit and trim details.

Wait, I think I can see the weekend from here.  Do I hear progress?