Velcro issues

Basebalca

Hi everyone. Did a troop today in 90 plus degree heat and had issues with my Velcro glue coming off. I have had issues with this before, but not this bad as multiple pieces were coming off. I'm curious to know what type of Velcro and adhesive everyone uses to prevent this.<br><br>

Thanks

If you have an Anovos kit and you are using the Velcro that they supplied, then that's a common occurrence. That Velcro is crap. Better to rip it all out and replace it with a snap-based system.

However, if you simply must use Velcro, at least get the industrial-strength kind.

• Like 1

Brian is completely correct about the Velcro system Anovos supplies.  If you only troop a few times a year (in moderate weather) the Velcro should work when attached correctly.  For frequent trooping I also suggest going to the snap method favored by the vast majority of TKs.  Below is a diagram Jeff (wingnut 65) made that will help.  He used (as I did) the "double" snap system, which pretty much guarantees that nothing will fall off during a troop.  Ever.

If you decide to do this, you will need a few supplies.  These include:

Line 24 snaps-  For strapping.  You will need at least 30, and do NOT "cheap-out" on these, but purchase quality ones.  (Steer clear of Wal Mart "Dritz" snaps).  Tandy is recommended.

Snap setting tools-  Used for, well, setting snaps.

Hammer- For setting snaps. (NP)

Elastic-  1 inch wide black for shoulder bells, etc. (4 ft.)  2 inch wide white for ab/back plate shoulder connection (1 ft.), 1 inch wide white for drop boxes, (1 ft.) 1/4 inch wide white** (1 ft.) for rear shoulder straps.

Nylon strapping-  1 inch wide black, at least 6 to 8 ft. long.  2 inch wide black (48 inches) for high tension areas if you are using the double snap method. 

E-6000 Glue-  For attaching the nylon to your armor.  (Stay away from CA (super) glue.  Trust me.

** If you are (hopefully) aiming for Centurion

Also highly recommended is a Soldering Iron-  For making holes in nylon strapping and sealing the ends.  Pretty inexpensive, and worth the cost!

Most of these items can be purchased at any larger craft store like Michaels.

Does it take time?  Of course!  Is it worth it?  Definitely!

1108046572_092-wingnutssnaps_zpsvt55722m.thumb.jpg.773bc5815ed02853f81fddb361cd816e.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Is there step by step instructions on how to do the snaps?

I just made a tutorial on this.  Hope it helps!  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41865-snap-setting-101/