FISD Master Armorer Program - Overview

On 2/10/2022 at 12:22 PM, Daetrin said:

What is their barrier to this?  Lack of an account?  I mean, it's like a 5 minute process to apply if you have all the photos already there.

In the past being eligible for that gold EI only coin was a big incentive, but maybe it no longer is?

The only thing I can think of is laziness or they are just not smart enough to go through the whole process. I practically build the whole kit for them, take them to buy the elastic and show them links to buy boots, gloves, neckseals,, holster and canvas belt. 

I just think our society wants you to do everything for them or they won't even try it themselves. 

• Like 3

That may be as well.  Certainly something entitled about younger people today. I call it the curse of the app, e.g. they think they just press and app and things magically take care of themselves without any effort.  This is the generation after all that gets trophies for participation...

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Daetrin:

That may be as well.  Certainly something entitled about younger people today. I call it the curse of the app, e.g. they think they just press and app and things magically take care of themselves without any effort.  This is the generation after all that gets trophies for participation...

vor 14 Stunden schrieb TK1636:

The only thing I can think of is laziness or they are just not smart enough to go through the whole process. I practically build the whole kit for them, take them to buy the elastic and show them links to buy boots, gloves, neckseals,, holster and canvas belt. 

I just think our society wants you to do everything for them or they won't even try it themselves. 

So, I'm not Centurion (yet), but I thought I should chime in with my own observations as an 18-year old that frequently interacts with the U30 folks that I've met so far. And I can't really support this thesis.

I've talked for hours with others my age or a bit older and whether they had a commission build, an old armor from another member or a self built armor, they were enthusiastic about improving their armor. "You can show me how to do this padding? Awesome!", "Could you help me fix this alignment?", "What do you think about reducing this gap?"... Today alone I had three talks with four others -- one 17yo aspiring 501st member, a 20yo that I'm helping get his armor approved, one 27yo TK and another who ordered his kit as we were speaking...! All of them interested in the higher levels, in taking their armor a step further. None of them active in this forum. Same thing with a Centurion TK (26yo, I believe) that I know.

So why are they not applying/active? Certainly not entitlement or laziness. After all, I've spend hours working with them on armor or talking about it. 

You know, I actually asked them why they weren't active on here. This forum simply isn't very interesting to them. Okay, so there's been memes now that they certainly enjoy when I share them on Instagram, but aside from that this forum offers few things that they couldn't find out locally, or via talking to people on Instagram, in person or the local forum.

They refer to this forum if they need to know something but otherwise don't interact with it, not posting a welcome post, because why write one if you're never gonna interact with them again? Therefore they don't get the link talking about lvl 2 and 3. I've actually had a few be surprised at it -- and then not research it themselves but work with me and other Garrison members on improving those details. Actually applying for lvl 2/3 wouldn't offer them anything that they don't already have though, aside from a certificate, so they're just happy with their improved armor.

And what's the solution? Honestly? Reach out to the younger generation and get us interested. The FISD Instagram account is quite inactive, the forum doesn't offer many opportunities to interact in a way that they can't already in their garrison and lvl 2/3 have no incentive aside from better accuracy (which one can achieve without applying for them).

Just my two cents as an 18yo :salute:

• Like 2

And what's the solution? Honestly? Reach out to the younger generation and get us interested. The FISD Instagram account is quite inactive, the forum doesn't offer many opportunities to interact in a way that they can't already in their garrison and lvl 2/3 have no incentive aside from better accuracy (which one can achieve without applying for them).

This is a perfect reminder about outreach and engagement, and some great advice.  Thanks so much :)

• Like 1

And, if I have to say it, also shows how sometimes us older folks can make the mistake of generalizations and conforming to our biases vs. actually talking to our audience.  Usually we get older we get wiser, but sometimes we fool ourselves that we are wiser than we are. :)

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Daetrin:

This is a perfect reminder about outreach and engagement, and some great advice.  Thanks so much :)

vor 1 Minute schrieb Daetrin:

And, if I have to say it, also shows how sometimes us older folks can make the mistake of generalizations and conforming to our biases vs. actually talking to our audience.  Usually we get older we get wiser, but sometimes we fool ourselves that we are wiser than we are. :)

Glad I could be of help!

I'll make sure to talk with some fellow younglings about this, see how we could get more interest in this forum and the higher levels. First thing though? Get on social media -- like Instagram or even TikTok, if you want to be adventurous. Interact with the people on there, share interesting information about the FISD, about EIB and Centurion. That'll probably be the easiest step and the best way to get the younger generation involved. If this means more DPROs or Attachés that might be something worth thinking about ;)

Oh -- and avoiding such statements as "younger people are entitled" may help to get the younger people past "older people are so boring, so there's no need to interact with them on the FISD" :laugh1:

• Like 1

I'd appreciate that Luca!  This forum as you see it now is vastly different than how it started.  The best part is we can change it over time to meet the needs of the users.  I fully agree about IG & TikTok.  FYI that there is a contingent that is very loyal to FB (I know, I know).  We also are up on Discord too.

FWIW, I can agree that older people can be boring.  I work with scouts a lot (ages 12-18) and they are never the problem, it's their parents that drive me nuts.  Such sticks in the mud :-p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morgi said:

They refer to this forum if they need to know something but otherwise don't interact with it, not posting a welcome post, because why write one if you're never gonna interact with them again? Therefore they don't get the link talking about lvl 2 and 3. I've actually had a few be surprised at it -- and then not research it themselves but work with me and other Garrison members on improving those details. Actually applying for lvl 2/3 wouldn't offer them anything that they don't already have though, aside from a certificate, so they're just happy with their improved armor.

I agree most of the guys don't feel a need to go further as their armor is better than they would have put it together, once i helped them put it together. I Work with a wide range of ages, and from folks from California all the way from Chicago, I actually had somebody fly down so I could help him with his armor. Granted he also came down on vacation to visit some relatives but for three days we worked on his armor and then he left and went back home after a week in Arizona.

I had a guy drive down from northern California for three days with his teenage soon, helped him with his armor then he left I told him to submit his EIB application and he never did and he was a older guy. Had a guy come down from his army deployment and helped him do his armor and told him to submit his EIB and he was 20 something and he never put in his application for EIB. So I feel it doesn't matter their age, like Luca said it is more than likely no incentive their armor is lv3 once I help them complete and they don't feel they need to win any awards even though it would be a shoe in or very easy to adjust. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was curious how many of these awards are actually around out there, so for tracking (maybe add to the OP?), please find them below with approximate dates of award. So mine would be the 6th ever and first in 3 years... I'd love to see more and encourage others to put in the work and submit!

11/28/2017 - TK-61972, Walter @Haribon72, Golden Gate Garrison

11/28/2017 - TK-1636, Mike @TK1636, Dune Sea Garrison

02/19/2018 - TK-10116, Tony @ukswrath, Golden Gate Garrison

07/31/2018 - TK-70701, Jeff @Oztrooper, Southern California Garrison

09/11/2019 - TK-39093, Arthur @giskard8, Hong Kong Garrison

08/29/2022 - TK-61490, Justin @TheRascalKing, Southern California Garrison

• Like 5

3 years aligns with Covid so I'm not surprised, but now with new kits finally going out, it may well pick itself up too.

18 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

I was curious how many of these awards are actually around out there, so for tracking (maybe add to the OP?), please find them below with approximate dates of award. So mine would be the 6th ever and first in 3 years... I'd love to see more and encourage others to put in the work and submit!

11/28/2017 - TK-61972, Walter @Haribon72, Golden Gate Garrison

11/28/2017 - TK-1636, Mike @TK1636, Dune Sea Garrison

02/19/2018 - TK-10116, Tony @ukswrath, Golden Gate Garrison

07/31/2018 - TK-70701, Jeff @Oztrooper, Southern California Garrison

09/11/2019 - TK-39093, Arthur @giskard8, Hong Kong Garrison

08/29/2022 - TK-61490, Justin @TheRascalKing, Southern California Garrison

Agreed - we should probably do a eBlast on this alone. I knew of several folks who could have easily qualified but have not, and have probably forgotten about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...