68Brick's SpaceTrooper Backpack Build

68Brick

I can't remember if I mentioned color before, but the white is color matched (kind of) to my armor. The vertical cylinders are painted Subaru Charcoal Grey 916, ZSS9S. The grey is darker in pics and in low light, but really pops in outdoor spaces. A more accurate color could have been found with more trial and error, but I'm happy with it.

Looks AWESOME, brother!  Where did you get the main black tube?  That is the only part I am missing to complete my pack.

The flexible black tube came with my kit. I should mention I have two pieces of coat hanger inside mine to keep some bends and direct the tube over my shoulder when I'm wearing it. 

My Spacetrooper made its debut at a local Comic Con last weekend. The magnets held strong, and I am overall happy with the look and comfort. Some things I am going to do to improve things are, add some padding to my back plate to prevent armor bites from the weight of the spacepack, and re-make my current shoulder straps in webbing vs the elastic I have now. That should help with the positioning of the spacepack on my back and lessen the pressure on the return edge of my back plate. It will also help keep my back plate on top of my kidney plate. The weight of the spacepack kept stretching my elastics as you'll see in the pics.

Speaking of pics ... Here are some...

hcc5 copy

You can see here that mu back plate has been pulled down and is over my kidney plate.

hcc4 copy

hcc3 copy

hcc2 copy

Edited by 68Brick
  • Like 1

Mounting is one of the bigger concerns with this pack. I'm not a big fan of visible strapping for the Spaceppack, so I'm glad I found magnets that are strong enough to hold it on. Once on, I can jump, twist, bend, whatever, and it's not coming off.

Also, with magnets as strong as the ones I'm using, I put a few warning labels on my transport bin so everyone knows there's a strong magnetic field around. Don't want to wipe someone's phone or something!

magnet 2

Mounting is one of the bigger concerns with this pack. I'm not a big fan of visible strapping for the Spaceppack, so I'm glad I found magnets that are strong enough to hold it on. Once on, I can jump, twist, bend, whatever, and it's not coming off.

Also, with magnets as strong as the ones I'm using, I put a few warning labels on my transport bin so everyone knows there's a strong magnetic field around. Don't want to wipe someone's phone or something!

23662179268_42f61be00a_b.jpg  
This is great. I want to use your magnet set up in my future packs. Would you mind? Also since you let me know the specifications on the magnets and maybe where you got them? Thanks. Packed looks great.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Feel Free to use my set-up. The two bar magnets are the ones I received from you. I purchased three 1" round magnets (that I stacked together) for the spacetrooper backplate. I also purchased six 3/4" round magnets and two 1" round magnets (again stacked) for the plates in my Stormtrooper Armor. The round magnets are all rare earth, and all from Lee Valley.

• 1 month later...

Proud Moment Today ... Pictures of my Spacepack became the CRL:dancing-trooper:

TK_ANH_Stunt_SpacePack.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

Proud Moment Today ... Pictures of my Spacepack became the CRL! :dancing-trooper:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_ANH_Stunt_SpacePack.jpg

Well deserved!  This is one of those situations where "The DL helps those who help themselves".  Brad, this was your idea, you took the initiative to pitch it to me, you supplied fantastic photos ready to go.  Makes is really easy to do the right thing.  Congrats - you earned it :salute:

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, 68Brick said:

And here is it's traveling bin...

IMG_8463

Man, I need to do this.  How big a tub did you buy?

For me, it was impossible to find a bin that would safely transport the pack with the clear tube in the main body, so I settled on a longer bin. And I'm glad I did, as it sits nicely on my Stanley 50GL TK transport bin.

My spacepack transport bin is 116Qt/29GL/110L.

• 4 months later...

So I've made come adjustments and trooped this past weekend with great results.

• I reinforced my elastic shoulder straps with webbing ... this removed any stretch happening at my shoulders
  • I added padding on the inside of my back plate near the bottom ... to remove a pressure point while wearing the pack
  • I created some straps that go from my thigh garter belt up to my shoulder straps. This gives me the ability to take the weight of the pack and move it from my shoulder straps to my thigh garter. This keeps the pack more upright, it prevents my back plate from drooping down and over my kidney plate, and keeps my back plate where it should be. The straps have a suspender top and a loop around my garter belt at the bottom. In the strap itself, I added to clips for easy on-off. It's hard to get pictures of the set-up, but here's a diagram. The straps go down the front of my torso, not the back.
Spacetrooper Strapping

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...