"Praetorian Blasters" R1 E-11 Build-up

slave1pilot

Let me begin with a little bit about "Praetorian Blasters" (thanks for your patience with this, it's a bit of a long read)

INTRODUCTION:
We would like to start by re-introducing ourselves. John and I have been around the costuming / prop replica realm for more than 10 years. John and/or myself have been making rubber blasters for over 10 years for the 501st and have 20+ years making props for the motion picture and television business. John and I are both 501st members and have trooped many events over the years and were very active in our day.

WHY WE’RE BACK:
Recently, we decided to get back into making rubber blasters to see if we could make them better and more accurate than what we made 10 years ago. Our group went by a different name back then but we all took pride in producing some great props. John and I have stayed good friends and have been kicking this idea around for several years. As of the beginning of this year, we decided to move forward with it with the ANH E-11.That project is up and running http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41608-praetorian-blasters-rubber-e-11-interest-list/ so we decided the next logical blaster was the Rogue One version .

OUR GOAL:
We are Praetorian Blasters. We specialize in accurate, high detail rubber (only) replicas that are designed with costuming in mind. We will always try to make our replicas as accurate as possible while holding to the requirements of the process. We’ve been making rubber props for a long time and we know what the possibilities and limitations are. We know what will give you the greatest durability and what would be problematic in the long run.

THE PRODUCT:
We started with as many “real” parts as we could get our hands on. The intent is to do this right the first time. We are using high quality materials that will reproduce the details and maintain durability. We get a lot of questions about where areas of the props should be “hollow” or “see through” and we understand why you’d want that. We want you to know that if we can provide that feature, we will. If making the prop with that feature destroys the overall quality or durability of the final product, we will find a good sound compromise that will hopefully fulfill your needs. We won't sacrifice quality for a feature.

We have found good specimens of the correct 1943 M38 scope and the "small Eagle" Hengstler 400 counter box (with plastic sleeve). We've also purchased the airsoft S&T Sterling .These original parts are real found components to ensure accuracy. The scope “rail” and capacitors will be manufactured here. The “fins” were also manufactured slightly thicker to allow the casting materials to flow into the mold without creating bubbles and voids. We will not be using "DoopyDoos" resin scope or Shepperton's rails and cylinders. We know that these parts were used by the Prop studio that made the R1 blasters, but we aren't going to do the same.

Now with all of that out of the way, let's look at what we have thus far

S&T AIRSOFT STERLING:
18342555_762338857276974_173387204977840
18425134_762338863943640_302994407826602

THE HENGSTLER 400 COUNTER:
18519522_763303947180465_436905375161750

THE 1943 M38 AZIMUTH TELESCOPE:
18519937_763304177180442_28570698971863518447094_763304703847056_326700373501020

AND THE ELEMENT M300A MINI SCOUT LIGHT:
cdaf87c8f4cb00f4ecbd2c0db08f85dd.jpg

We will continue to update this thread and answer any questions that you guys might have.

Stay tuned...

Edited by slave1pilot
  • Like 6

Nathan and I discussed and decided to 3D model the cylinders (capacitors) vs. molding someone else's version of them. It doesn't seem right to mold the Shepperton version since they were the original creators. We will be 3D modeling to match from pictures but making our alterations in the model to make this casting friendly. We will be molding the picatinny rail into the main body of the blaster.

E-11 / R1 Specifics:

• We will be molding the scope separately and casting an aluminum tube into the center of the scope. 
  • Due to additional steel and aluminum armatures, this version of the E-11 will be slightly heavier than our other versions.
  • The scope rails will be laser cut from .090" high carbon steel. This will also increase the weight of the blaster. 
  • The end cap and barrel tip will be molded and cast separately from the blaster body.
  • We will most likely mold the rear sight separately but that is TBD.
  • The magazine will be molded and cast separately.
  • The cylinders will be 3D printed in high resolution, molded and cast. 
  • The flashlight will be molded and optionally attached to the blaster or left off if you wish to purchase and use a real flashlight.
  • Additional armatures will be cast into the blaster body where the scope rail will attach via threaded screws. 

Note: Some of this may change as we get further into the project. We'll post more later. 

• Like 1

Actually they weren't the power cylinders off of a sds blaster were only summarising that they are as to the sizing and shape the one on the R1 e11 are slightly smaller only by 3/4 mm (only in the width) as to when scaled to the sds ones

Nathan and I discussed and decided to 3D model the cylinders (capacitors) vs. molding someone else's version of them. It doesn't seem right to mold the Shepperton version since they were the original creators. We will be 3D modeling to match from pictures but making our alterations in the model to make this casting friendly. We will be molding the picatinny rail into the main body of the blaster.

E-11 / R1 Specifics:

• We will be molding the scope separately and casting an aluminum tube into the center of the scope.
  • Due to additional steel and aluminum armatures, this version of the E-11 will be slightly heavier than our other versions.
  • The scope rails will be laser cut from .090" high carbon steel. This will also increase the weight of the blaster.
  • The end cap and barrel tip will be molded and cast separately from the blaster body.
  • We will most likely mold the rear sight separately but that is TBD.
  • The magazine will be molded and cast separately.
  • The cylinders will be 3D printed in high resolution, molded and cast.
  • The flashlight will be molded and optionally attached to the blaster or left off if you wish to purchase and use a real flashlight.
  • Additional armatures will be cast into the blaster body where the scope rail will attach via threaded screws.
Note: Some of this may change as we get further into the project. We'll post more later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Shepperton Design Studios E-11 Blaster is made of plastic infused with a dense foam filler. The power cylinders on the Rogue One E-11 were probably not taken directly from the SDS blaster but likely recast in resin or rubber.

As I'm sure you're aware recasting anything introduces many variables that considerably affect the overall scale such as; Volume, Temperature, ect. This may explain why the cylinders seen on screen are a slightly different size than an actual pair of SDS power cylinders. The same reason a DoopyDos resin blaster is a little smaller than a real Sterling Sub-Machine Gun.

It's likely the prop department only had one SDS blaster from which they cast many pairs of power cylinders as well as T-Tracks for all the props.

Edited by SlyFox740

These are some of the parts we've made to add to our master. These are just low quality 3D prints from PLA printers. We are not using these for final parts. We will run these parts on the Form or Objet printer in the end. 

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

This Flashlight Rail looks perfect, great job!

-------

However I'm not sure about this greeblie which is why I didn't include it in my blaster reference thread. I don't believe the standard E-11 blaster has it, all the reference I can find in the movie and the visual guide indicates it does not have it or at least it's not consistent. It appears to be from the Deathtrooper E-11D, and the Shoretrooper E-22.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yes that cropped photo of the Hengstler Counter must be a Shoretrooper E-22 blaster, understandably mistaken for an E-11 as that part of the E-22 is virtually identical. You can also see the Shoretrooper's brown MP40 magazine pouches in the photo. The Shoretroopers do also use standard E-11 blasters in the movie which means there is a possibility this could be an E-11 though I highly doubt it because I have yet see that greeblie on any of the other E-11 blasters. Although I can confirm both the Shoretrooper's E-22 and the Deathtrooper's E-11D have this greeblie.

In fact I plan on building a Deathtrooper E-11D in the future and I need to get one of these greeblies for the build, yours look Looks really good!

Edited by SlyFox740

I just wanted to say you guys also did an awesome job on the Power Cylinders as well as the Flashlight Rail, I would definitely be interested in getting a 3D printed set of both for my personal airsoft based Rogue One E-11 build, maybe you could upload the files to Shapeways. They look quite accurate, great job guys!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

So we completely tore this sucker apart and rebuilt it with the tube inside. The cast versions of the R1 blaster have shallow holes so we are following suit. 

-------

This is the test fit of our 3d printed parts. Some where printed on the formlabs printer and the lighter grey parts on the Objet Eden.

-----------

The charging handle on the screen used cast blasters are mounted backwards so, of course, we are doing the same thing.http://praetorianblasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FullSizeRender-2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi mate here some pictures of the Tk and ST that I took of the displays at ce3 in London 2016 and I never saw any of the cocking handles on backwards the only thing I saw was a cocking handle bend upwards if anything and that was on a E22 ccbd64f2d40eeba734259ddc46d6d418.jpgd3468712c3a6569f227912bfc4474777.jpg006522c1ccf554b83e6a8d3fe3960e06.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm. Maybe the E-11 pictures that we have for reference are a specific blaster where the handle was glued on backwards? The hack prop makers on the show ran out of give-a-crap? LOL.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed