MrBlondle's Shoretrooper lid oddysey

Hey all! I've recently received a rather nice polyresin/fibreglass cast from a Sean Fields V1 master 3D print.

It's a great model to start from but there are a few little details that are either wrong or missing so I've set out to correct them and thought maybe you'd all appreciate it over here :D

This is how the kit was sent to me...

17910950_10155242784611834_110581805_n_z

I set to work immediately poring over all the reference pics I have. Thankfully there are a LOT of beautiful high res shots from virtually every angle.

One of the first details that caught my attention was the rounded "eyebags" so I cut some sintra, glued it on and applied some filler to join it up giving the eyes a bit more of the angle that it should have..(I may have overcompensated but hey) I also did the same for the downwards right angle on the sides of the eye visor part as the original sculpt had none.

Also the cheek lines were WAAAY too over to each side so I filled them in and scored new ones in the better location.

Another thing was the snout was pretty much a biker scout one whereas the ST has holes rather than a grille on the bottom greeblie so after several attempts to drill into the snout part itself I gave up and built a piece to add over it.

IMG_20170506_214840_779_zpsbxlpwu19.jpg

Some little sintra additions cover the missing stepped (will be black)detail visible either side of the blast shield...

IMG_20170509_165147_resized_20170509_045

The snout recess was too clinical...the actual area is rather graceful curves so I mixed up some more filler and slapped it round giving it more of a dip than a drop into the snout flat...

IMG_20170507_160010_resized_20170508_082

It still missed some lines...I couldn't quite figure out a way to get it EXACTLY like the original but a bit of double sided tape and superglue (to harden it) gave it more of a lip as per actual ...it's an approximation with what I have/can do..managed to break a bar off the heat sink detail too but aaaahhh well!

xbO1h7h_zpswzk9jqmj.jpg

while I was there I also picked out the chin vents a bit more too

IMG_20170509_101801_resized_20170509_042

Other small details included the ear vents that seem to be quite open on any ref shots I have not to mention the fact the ear parts are actually very low profile and rounded, not as hard edged as on this original cast, so..file out, mask on....!

IMG_20170509_165124_resized_20170509_045

By far the scariest mod that I thought twice about was to reduce the width of the forehead blast shield...as it was it covered almost ear to ear whereas the original helmet leaves quite a gap from edge of sheild to ear area...so I took my nuts in my hand and cut it in half. Removed an inch or so and rebuilt it with some shims at the back and a shedload of body filler. It seems to be pretty sturdy! (fingers crossed)

Untitled-1_zpssuxezba3.jpg

So far so good!

The last piece of the puzzle before I cans start painting is to fit the lens....I see that the actual helmet has some kind of inner liner between the shell and the lens itself so I've mocked up a template with some 3mm neoprene rubber that I had sitting around and it...kinda..sorta...somehow..kinda works. No idea how to attach it inside yet, no idea if it's even really gonna work as the lens is quite thick and doesn't bend easily....

any leads on lenses? 

Hope this is of interest to some of you guys and gals out there...more to come!

Edited by MrBlondle

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great start. They would love to see this over at the Pathfinders forums.

Is that the same as bikerscout.net? When I click on the Register button it says it is not taking registrations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is that the same as bikerscout.net? When I click on the Register button it says it is not taking registrations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's right. I don't know why it is saying that. If there is a way to contact the administrator, do that and let them know about the problem. If there isn't a way to do it there, pm Griffin-X here. He used to be the web guy for those forums, he may still be.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for lack of updates - it's been a while - I've also since forgotten all my log in details and had to re-register! doh! anyway...

here's how it progressed...undercoated with a mix of espresso brown and matte black to give it the proper brownblack finish - then masked in areas ready for topcoat and chipping effect...

20451591_1415597748555564_963326481064380559_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so here she is finally in all her glory :D I'm really happy with how she turned out.

And in an awesome twist of (deep nerd) fate I have been able to get my hands on an actual chin strap and cup from the production...it's not much but it's a little something special for me :D

d0hZMGw.jpg

43lOltn.jpg

JEhIhCc.jpg

JEhIhCc.jpg

dmDs1dK.jpg

II5tBw8.jpg

DBjBdpx.jpg

ZmUTNx1.jpg

f9NpUgK.jpg

G6fN2AI.jpg

5N11OlL.jpg