Alcohol and Armor

justjoseph63

I received this email from the GGG, and thought it should be shared:

(With the author's permission, I have edited it for content)

Yes, we are all adults, and many of us are of drinking age, but due to safety, liability, and Disney/LFL preferences, it is important that we discuss alcohol and trooping.

Consuming alcohol before or during a troop invites many unneeded problems.  Doing this creates the risk of the effects getting more intense as heat builds up inside a member’s bucket, (especially outdoors in the sun) which can cause you pass out or become suddenly WAY more inebriated than you thought you were.  

It is also a bad idea for a multitude of other reasons. A tipsy trooper can easily damage the host’s location or equipment, make poor judgments about behavior, or otherwise reflect poorly on the Legion and create a situation where the Garrison is liable for damage. Additionally, if a tipsy trooper gets into a car accident after the troop, the host can be held legally liable for serving or selling that trooper alcohol, and the last thing we need is “I invited the 501st and they cost me 7.5 million dollars in legal fees and fines.”  Not good PR, to say the least.

Also, due to our relationship with Disney/LFL and our mission as a Legion, we have a responsibility to portray our characters appropriately when we are in public or posing for photos that can be released to the public (which nowadays is all photos, especially with FB, instagram, etc.), and Troopers with drinks in their hands are very much against that respectful character portrayal that Disney/LFL trusts us to embody and safeguard, so do not allow your STAR WARS character to be photographed pretending to drink alcohol (or even holding a drink) while at a troop.”.  The "Mouse" and LFL have lots of eyes out there.  Trust me. 

To be clear, we are not saying that drinking is discouraged, forbidden, or even bad,  just a friendly reminder that alcohol and armor don’t mix.  It's not worth getting suspended and/or removed from the Legion, so wait until after the troop and you are out of armor before you begin celebrating. . . and please make safe decisions, because we want to see you at the next troop!

A big THANKS to Jon Nagel, Kyle Beagle and Diana Torres

• Like 15

Yes thanks for sharing Joseph.  It's a shame that a message like this would even need to be conveyed.  I for one like to partake in adult libations but would never even consider doing so while at a troop and in armor.  Of course I'm sure that different cultures have different views on this issue.  But I bet that most everyone in the U.S. would agree that there is just too much liability for all involved.  We are out there trying to do good and shouldn't let alcohol creep in and bring out any bad.  Please wait until after your troop or especially until you are done with active trooping to enjoy alcohol.  Well done GGG. 

• Like 2

I seriously thought this was about material compatibility of ABS and rubbing alcohol, whoops.

Probably not the best idea for armor parties either, at least not until after your cuts are finished and the clamps are set.

• Like 3

I seriously thought this was about material compatibility of ABS and rubbing alcohol, whoops.

Probably not the best idea for armor parties either, at least not until after your cuts are finished and the clamps are set.

Definitely not rubbing alcohol, (unless you mix it with grape juice... mmmmm. LOL) JUST KIDDING!

Agreed about the armor parties.  Razor knives and Rolling Rock beer.  Not a good combo.

• Like 4

As hot as it can get with armor on, I can't imagine exacerbating your potential for dehydration with the diuretic effects of alcohol. Thanks for the message, Joseph. 

By the way, do you ever sleep or are you just an early bird?

As hot as it can get with armor on, I can't imagine exacerbating your potential for dehydration with the diuretic effects of alcohol. Thanks for the message, Joseph. 

He's in bed by five, and up by three.  ;)  

• Like 4

Sleeping is overrated, haha.  Just kidding.. I wake up at 3 every morning whether I like it or not.  (Kinda' stinks when I am on vacation, though).

• Like 2

Great advice considering trooping is a representation of something that we all grew up with Star Wars. We wouldn't want to give children the wrong idea about their heros as they are growing up. I know trooping is volunteer work or just a hobby and alot of fun , but I agree there is a time and place for everything. Alcohol or any other drug use should not happen while trooping .... period. All that plus you put yourself at more risk walking around intoxicated with a bucket on your head. That's not very smart.

• Like 2

Changed my profile photo since mine was a prime case. Shot was from my very first troop and we all we doing photos in a bar (all the glasses had water in them) but I agree, alcohol and armor do not mix and does not represent us well.

• Like 2

So, at first I wasn't sure about this, as IMHO what people do in their own costumes as long as they are not representing the 501st is IMHO their own business. That said, I thought back to all my time in 10+ years of white armor and can't think of a single time I ever consumed alcohol in armor. I mean, why would you? Coffee at Starbucks? Several times. Having a coke/water during a con? Sure. But alcohol?

I think this is very sage advice really. Even if at a private event, there is soooo much that can go wrong, and you can't really relax anyway in kit.

Thanks Joseph for posting this - it's really good & solid advice.

• Like 4

This might just be my military upbringing and prior service talking but this is how I see it...

To be involved in a group as highly regarded and well respected as the 501st is an honor that should NEVER be marginalized. To wear the white armor is an honor, but while representing this fine group is uniquely special; you are representing something FAR bigger than oneself. The 501st has done amazing things for people, and I will never tarnish that image by drinking alcohol while wearing my armor or my soft uniforms at ANY function, sanctioned or otherwise. I might not be official yet, but I consider it an honor to be involved with such a group, and I will not take that for granted. Ever. 

• Like 4

This might just be my military upbringing and prior service talking but this is how I see it...

To be involved in a group as highly regarded and well respected as the 501st is an honor that should NEVER be marginalized. To wear the white armor is an honor, but while representing this fine group is uniquely special; you are representing something FAR bigger than oneself. The 501st has done amazing things for people, and I will never tarnish that image by drinking alcohol while wearing my armor or my soft uniforms at ANY function, sanctioned or otherwise. I might not be official yet, but I consider it an honor to be involved with such a group, and I will not take that for granted. Ever. 

I couldn't agree more, Josh.  Nicely put!

I also tend to look at trooping as if I were at work. My employer would fire me on the spot for drinking while on the clock. (Or showing up drunk.) I can't fathom drinking while representing the Legions while in costume and 'on the clock'. 

I can drink up AFTER I'm done representing. 

• Like 3

I also tend to look at trooping as if I were at work. My employer would fire me on the spot for drinking while on the clock. (Or showing up drunk.) I can't fathom drinking while representing the Legions while in costume and 'on the clock'. 

I can drink up AFTER I'm done representing. 

I'll drink to that!

post-3-0-54986600-1494701078_thumb.jpg

Oddly enough when I read the title of this thread, I thought it would​ be going a different direction. Let me explain if I may. <br>

I found out the hard way of drinking Tennessee liquor and building armor. It's just like drinking and driving, they don't mix. I was not drunk, but feeling pretty good. Later I found out I had made some mistakes building my armor. Lesson learned and note to self. Absolutely do not drink alcohol and build armor together. While my mistakes were fixable, the results could be catastrophic. Don't do it!!

Oddly enough when I read the title of this thread, I thought it would​ be going a different direction. Let me explain if I may. <br>

I found out the hard way of drinking Tennessee liquor and building armor. It's just like drinking and driving, they don't mix. I was not drunk, but feeling pretty good. Later I found out I had made some mistakes building my armor. Lesson learned and note to self. Absolutely do not drink alcohol and build armor together. While my mistakes were fixable, the results could be catastrophic. Don't do it!!

They do say that drinking and driving don't mix but I bellieve the unabridged list is much more extensive.

Sleeping is overrated, haha. Just kidding.. I wake up at 3 every morning whether I like it or not. (Kinda' stinks when I am on vacation, though).

Prepped and ready to go after a Mountain Dew!

Stellar article and well made point good sir - salute!