Cover strip sheets

Hello! First time poster here! Although I've been reading the forums on and off for a few years now, I ordered my ATA kit about 4 years ago and I only got around to "finishing" it about two years ago. I put finish in quotations because Its not fully complete yet until I get better boots, a holster, and some TD clips made. But it is wearable and I've gone out in it a couple times.

Here is my current issue- when I assembled the thighs way back when, I was a tad thinner than I am now, at least in the thigh area, and I don't think the thighs fit up quite as high as they need to, I'm finding it very hard to bend my knees at all and it hurts a lot to walk unless I forcibly pull my thigh armor up a bit while walking, so I think that I need to remove the back cover strips and put wider ones on to give me the extra bit of space to go up higher, but I'm out of the abs sheets for the cover strips. I was wondering if anyone knows a fast convenient place to go pick up, or order some.

Thanks! Hope to get completely done soon and submit to the 501st and join in trooping!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hello! Most vendors will be able to provide extra sheets to make cover strips. A few pics of your issue may help with advice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try removing and reattaching those cover strips leaving about a 1/4" gap on both seams. That might buy you enough space. Also, remove some of the upper return edge. That will help too.

Oh and btw, the thigh ammo pack is attached wrong. It should be attached like this:

Y5gIUsS.jpg

• Like 1

If I leave a gap in the strips won't it leave a really noticeable gap (even more so than i already have) at the bottom where the strip doesn't cover?

Correct however, if you trim the lower edge of the thigh, up to the cover strip itself giving yourself more walking room then you'll kill two birds with one stone.

gallery_14191_18_467011b.jpg

Correct however, if you trim the lower edge of the thigh, up to the cover strip itself giving yourself more walking room then you'll kill two birds with one stone.

gallery_14191_18_467011b.jpg

So your talking like this? I was wondering if someone can confirm that this is acceptable? It looks a lot more comfortable and cleaner9c65d2f10d94a7ecc9e56ca554548845.jpg

• Like 1

So your talking like this? I was wondering if someone can confirm that this is acceptable? It looks a lot more comfortable and cleaner9c65d2f10d94a7ecc9e56ca554548845.jpg

The picture you posted actually didn't show up when I replied so that answered my question! :)

• Like 1

This is great to know. Is trimming also acceptable for centurian status (or is that what CRL stands for in this case)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by dahc

This is great to know. Is trimming also acceptable for centurian status (or is that what CRL stands for in this case)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's perfectly acceptable at all levels of approval

• Like 1

I'm excited to feel if it makes a difference in walking at all when I'm done! Currently waiting on a new right thigh and ammo belt cause..Stuff happens.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any good illustrations of how to shim the kidney plate? Since my weight gain I've got about a good 1" 1/2 gap between that and my ab plate and I know thats not accepted.

• 3 years later...

I need to buy a sheet of PVC white cover strip material.  Working on my RS Kit PVC Stormtrooper.  Finished the build of the Helmet first.  Now getting to all the cover strip making and discovered it was ABS rather than PVC, which is discolored more tanish than the 'idealized' PVC.  It will also yellow faster.  So, apparently they may have grabbed the wrong stock sheet to send me.  Is there somewhere I can BUY a couple of PVC white  sheets from someone in the States here that is the same material (I believe 1.5 mm is correct?)  It's been a couple days since I've written Rob and a day after emailing Andrea.  Am I being impatient?  Is this normal - happened to anyone else?  :s

With black Friday sales you may find RS are a little busy, I would give it a few more days and see if they reply.

You have to be careful when purchasing plastic from other sources, many are of a different shade of white and you may find they won't match.

13 hours ago, Zinfer said:

It's been a couple days since I've written Rob and a day after emailing Andrea.  Am I being impatient?  Is this normal - happened to anyone else?  :s

Glen is spot on with the info. Rodney.  RS has a sterling reputation as a vendor, and I have never heard of them not getting back in touch about an inquiry or issue and making things right.  I know you are eager to get your armor completed, but hang in there.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 11:23 PM, Zinfer said:

I need to buy a sheet of PVC white cover strip material.  Working on my RS Kit PVC Stormtrooper.  Finished the build of the Helmet first.  Now getting to all the cover strip making and discovered it was ABS rather than PVC, which is discolored more tanish than the 'idealized' PVC.  It will also yellow faster.  So, apparently they may have grabbed the wrong stock sheet to send me.  Is there somewhere I can BUY a couple of PVC white  sheets from someone in the States here that is the same material (I believe 1.5 mm is correct?)  It's been a couple days since I've written Rob and a day after emailing Andrea.  Am I being impatient?  Is this normal - happened to anyone else?  :s

Have you checked places like McMaster Carr? 

18 hours ago, Addertime said:

Have you checked places like McMaster Carr? 

Well, I know it's PVC.  I think It is 1.5 mil thickness.  Everything here in the States is not metric.  Checked with US Plastics.  They said they do 1/8".  I have tried to convert 1.5mil to inches, I think it was something like  1/16.  I haven't even gotten into what shade of white. .  I will have to email again to get the proper material.  (4th emal) Unable to make arms and leg cover strips as of yet.  Should I continue to sit back and chill/work around it until they find time?  I do have paint for the helmet coming in yet.  If anyone has bought the PVC TK 'idealized' armor from RS and found a good source for spare sheets in the States, please let me know.

Color is the issue so using any old plastic may not do the trick. I would try to contact RS props again they may have missed your email.

• Like 1