When snaps don't work - different brands - what to do?

So, I was going to make new straps but the ones in the suit are a different brand and not working. Has anyone had this issue?

The one on the suit has the word LEO stamped on it, and the posts seem to be shorter. Any thoughts on how I can get them to play together?

I'm willing to admit that it's been so many years since I had to re-do strapping, there is probably something silly I'm missing.

WP_20170507_003.jpg

I've never had an issue with Tandy Line 24 snaps, but you need to ensure they are properly applied. For that, nothing beats an old-fashioned, hammer-and-hand driven, anvil-and-setter tool combination. 

For example, the male snap to the far right in your photo has not been properly set. It really needs to be hammered down into place so that when the male appendage (heh) is split during the application process, the split ends lie as flat as possible. Otherwise, the snap will not hold when mated to the female snap.

Hmm...in the past I was always able to use a set of snap pliers and it worked fine for years. I must be doing something wrong with them, and will try using a mallet again and see if that works out better.

Wow the snaps you have look military grade Paul.

I use DOT or Fasnap because they are some of the strongest money can buy without breaking the bank. I've been able to mix these two products with others and they seems to work well, not sure they'll work with yours though. Just had a fellow garrison member over yesterday doing some repairs to his armor, he had Tandy males installed and I used female DOTs. They were a bit tough to connect at first but one thing for certain they're not going to disconnect during a troop. lol  

I had a couple of issues hence why I came up with the solution to use a screwdriver to split the rivet before using the supplied tool, which worked fine but recently a couple of members have been saying they have been having a lot of problems with snaps even with my method, could be a different manufacturer of the snap perhaps, slight variances in size?

Any slight angle change and the snaps just let go, I've yet to come across this myself.