Newbie (Ragtooth) Starts his TK Journey

Hello All,

I want in!! 

After Celebration 2017 I promptly started researching what it took to join the 501st.  I decided to go "TK" at first and go from there.  Specifically, I'd like to do the HWT as it both looks bad an impolite person (I get to carry a bigger gun!) plus adds a bit of versatility as I could switch b/t TK and HWT.  Of course, as soon as I join and start trooping, this may all change.  What I'd LOOOOOOVVVEEE to ultimately do is a Death Trooper. :jc_doublethumbup:

Anyhoo, since my "me" time is somewhat limited due to kids, family, work, business travel etc., AND I'm relatively impatient, I decided to order a full commission from RS Propmasters.   It should be coming towards the end of this month (May, 2017).  In meantime, I've been working on the following:

- Obtaining a second TK helmet ("Original Trilogy" version) from Anovos do start installing UKSWraths' upgrades (Hovi Mic, Fan, SHA).  

- Obtaining a DLT-19 and doing a nice paint job so it looks heavily used

- Building HWT pack with shoulder mag pouch

- Ordering other HWT accessories (orange paulderon, leather mag pouches, etc.)

- Making a second ammo belt for the two MP-40 mag pouches sans holster and drop boxes.

I've been reading a ton of threads and posting a few questions here and there.  Thanks to you guys I got the "411" on how to get started.

I plan to periodically post my progress along with pics both to get some comments from you experienced TK's as well as provide some information for the next newbie.

I received the Anovos Original Trilogy helmet and proceeded to strip it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bee_zpsywfp0lct.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bef_zps3pu5ljs7.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf5_zpstwi9mpts.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf4_zpstqc2bfzd.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf8_zpss94rbdvd.j

Masked and then painted the interior:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c01_zpssivrg6am.j

Three layers of Platidip:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c1e_zpsow3dp13b.j

Next was installing the head restraint.  I was back and forth between using a 3M hard hat liner or the MICH helmet pads.  After about an hour of trial and error, I finally settled on using the MICH pads in the configuration in the pic.  Note that I also had to install an extra layer of 1/2" foam along the brow line under the forehead MICH pads in order to create a bit of distance between my eyes/mouth and the interior front of the helmet.  I was concerned that my eyes would be too close to the lens.  I also wanted to create a bit of space for the air from the fans to circulate.  Frankly it was a bit tougher to get right than I had expected.  I wanted a firm & solid but comfortable fit.  I hated the prospect of the helmet dancing around all over the place when I moved. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c25_zpsfu7avrnq.j

Next up was the lens installation.  I hated that the original lens was huge and spanned the entire interior of the helmet.  I wanted to cut it down but was unsure as to how I wanted to secure it. I noted that the way to helmet was molded didn't allow a clean "lay flat" system.   I didn't want to "over-engineer" it and install a bunch of T-nuts, etc. Luckily, I happened upon this thread: http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/negrese/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c25_zpsfu7avrnq.jpg 

Spyder918 had a magnificent method of using JB Weld to create a sort of platform on which to attach the lenses.  However, do his credit, he went truly "all out" with his system. It came out great but I was looking for a much simpler system.  I merely wanted to add some area upon which I could just Velcro a shortened one-piece lens.  He used JB Weld to create a frame around the lens area by applying the JB Weld and using vaseline as a release agent to remove the frame, etc.  My plan was just to add JB Weld around the eye area to create a flat area to velcro the lens.  So I dove head first and created this (before painting).  It's not the prettiest but it worked perfectly:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c27_zpss4kryujq.j

Now came the fun part and a heck of a lot more trial and error.  I wanted to install UKSWrath's Fan kit (with band), Hovi speaker system and the SHA (hearing aid) along with the batteries, speakers, mics, etc.  I strived for a nice tidy look.  I used 3/4 flex tubing from Harbor Freight to manage the cables.  I don't know how but I managed to use about 8' of the industrial strength black velcro.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c3d_zpsgrs0pt2o.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c2a_zpsbbgfltmd.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c39_zpss13aknrt.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c31_zpsyaecafc6.j

I ended up not installing the hearing aid for now.  Partly because it was getting a bit "tight" inside the helmet AND it was about 3AM.  

I had a blast playing with the HOVI and the iComm system.  I short - it works great.  As soon as you realize the optimal placement for the mic, it sounds great.  It's a perfect combination of your own voice "trooperized".  The static burst also sounds awesome.  I place the mic so it rests just over my top lip when I'm not talking.  That way my breathing doesn't activate the system.  When I want to speak, I just open my mouth a bit and bring the mic down to my lips and speak directly into the mic. When I'm done, it pops back up.

I also had both fans going the entire time.  You can't hear it through the speakers when you speak.  In addition, the airflow doesn't activate the system.  It's a great system.  Great work UKSWrath!! (not a paid endorsement!).

As I indicated above, I did play with the SHA system.  I did drill the holes in the ear area of the helmet and rough-installed the hearing aid.  The audio does sound great especially if you use insulated "in-the-ear" type buds.  However, since that was third in my priority for upgrades, I left it out for now.  

I'll post a video of some audio testing I did with the system. 

I will obviously tweak as I move forward but I think it came out fairly decent for a complete "newb"!

So that's where I'm at.  Up next is probably the HWT pack build as that is the next most time consuming project.  

I decided to go ahead and install UKSWrath's SHA (hearing aid).  I also re-purposed an ancient iPod mini (or whatever that's called) and imported a few TK Chatter tracks (thanks to Daniel Carlton's posts on YouTube.  I just converted the track to an mp3 and imported to the iPod via iTunes).  

Check it out:

IMG_8173.JPG_zpstn16tg10.jpeg

So here's "What's in my Helmet". I'm hoping this helps some other "newbs".  It was a lot of trial and error for me.  Starting from bottom center and moving clockwise:

1 - The white wire (that's barely in the photo) is the unidirectional mic.  Here's better pic:

IMG_8175_zpsiwfecpln.jpg

I have it positioned to where it's just above my lip so it's out the way when I'm not talking (so my breath doesn't activate the iComm).  It's held by velcro.  I just pull it down to my lips with my upper lip to talk and then let it go when I'm done. 

2. One of two fans.  I bought the completed bracket with two fans and two switches (one for each fan) from UKSWrath.  Find it all the other components here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35211-ukswraths-go-to-thread/

3. The "Amp 2" from the Hovi Mic system.  Also from UKSWrath.

4. The black cylindrical piece is actually about 30 fender washers that are taped up and velcro'd on.  I needed this for weight on the left side of the helmet to act as ballast to counter the weight of the components on the other side.

5. Top center is the mini ipod which is connected to the Amp for additional TK chatter coming from the HOVI tip/mic's.  I ordered a 12" 3.5mm cable from Amazon that I'm going to use to connect it (not in the pic).

6. About 1 o'clock is the volume control for the SHA Hearing Assist unit.  The two mic's are installed from the inside behind the helmet "ears" (don't know what that's called).  I drilled some small holes in the black tabs to help with the hearing.  I put some skateboard tape on the knob so that you can adjust the volume with one finger.  You can hear EVERYTHING! It works well.  The only thing is that you also pick up the sound of the fans from the inside.  I think it may be picking up the vibration of the fans so I'm going to try to insulate the fans a bit and see if that reduces the sound a bit.

7.  At about 3 o'clock (stacked up) is the iComm from the Hovi system.  Underneath that is a 3500 mAmp Ankar round cylindrical battery for the fans.  The black box under the battery is the box for the 9V battery for the SHA system.  

8.  Lastly bottom right (about 5 o'clock) is the second fan. 

I used 1/4 flex tube from Harbor Freight to try to keep it clean.  

Let me know if you have any questions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd love to hear what your experience is with the commissioned RS when you receive it, I've been thinking of possibly doing the same. Thanks!

I received my custom Rs build about a month ago and have about 8 troops completed in it to date. Over all i was happy with it right out of the box, experienced a few sizing adjustments i had to make, id also suggest strengthing the stiching of the poppers where the sholders attach as these came loose on me after a couple of troops... but im extremely happy with my kit. Looks great and comfortable to wear. Oh and it doesnt come with a balaclava, so you may still need to source one.

Sent from my Imperial data pad using Tapatalk

I get my RS commission sometime over the next week or so.  Andrea got me worked up the beginning of May indicating that mine would ship mid May.   I had followed up with her since then about 3-4 times and she hadn't responded. Rob (at RS) finally got back to me yesterday with an update and some actual pics.  They were working on the can. 

I'll drop a note after receipt and first donning...

• Like 1