Which glue for the silicone shields on gloves

Hey guys,

I'm just getting crazy about this part… I can't figure which glue I should use to glue the silicone shields on my gloves. Made two attempts and miserably failed on both!

Waiting for some help here...

Thank you!

Martin

I didn't know we could also velcro the silicone… I'm not sure about the final result?! A thing is sure, I would much prefer having them removable but all the pictures I see on the forum are showing them glued.

Having said that, I must experience the same problem to apply the velcro on the hand guards. The are bright and shiny on the side that needs to be glued.

I had the same issues, I got this form Sarah from the Connecticut Garrison. Check it out. I stopped using the rubber gloves for trooping though and went to the nomex gloves with the flexible handguards. I have a pair of rubber gloves for photo shoots and upgrades. The e6000 glue just will not hold up for this job.  

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37704-alays-anh-stunt-build-ap-first-build/page-6#entry515023

Good luck

The thing with silicone is that nothing will adhere to it....except silicone.  I embed the backs of my hand guards with white heavy-duty cotton "duck" cloth during the casting process so that it permanently bonds to them.  This way, E-6000 can be used to attach them to either rubber or Nomex with no problems.  If gluing them to rubber gloves, the top surface of the gloves should be thoroughly cleaned/degreased and scuffed up a bit with some sandpaper,  This will help with adhesion.  When gluing to Nomex gloves, be SURE to put a piece of wax paper inside first.  Otherwise it may seep through and you will glue them shut.

• Like 3

I have latex hand guards on nomex gloves. I used Gorilla Glue super glue gel. They stuck on and have not even thought of peeling off. I like the idea of the wax paper inside. I just winged it but that is an excellent idea.

Edited by Smiling Fox

Ok then, I may have find the good one. Some people seem ti have good results with it. Will try to post some pictures, it may be helpful for others!

Stay tuned...

I used e600 and glued sew-on Velcro to justjoseph's silicone handguards with the duck cloth backing, along with the dish gloves.

Hold is great, and excess e600 peels off the rubber gloves with moderate effort. When velcroed together, they hold well and remain flexible.

Transferring them to the nomex had mixed results because the Velcro I previously put on them was a smaller contact area.

In hindsight, I'd probably just glue direct to the rubber gloves and skip the Velcro. After some use, I noticed everything kinda sticks to the silicone plates (pet hair, dust, etc.) so keeping them clean if trooping regularly could be a challenge. For now I think I'll keep them on the rubber for Centurion approval and troop with the ABS on nomex.

Thanks guys, great advices...

I had the same thought, getting the silicone ready for the Centurion approval and than using the ABS one with velcro on trooping...

Anyway, first thing first, I have to complete this armor once and for all!

I used this stuff on mine:

3517449928181.JPG

seems to hold well

34503819616_7ede077665_k.jpg20170409_111237 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

34503827366_4f7665dde3_k.jpg20170409_111519 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

34159378210_4db896785c_k.jpg20170409_111245 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

Works on NOMEX flight gloves too:

29505320324_808385835e_k.jpg20161005_150326 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

30049450061_956e75644f_k.jpg20161005_145947 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

29504941653_7bed59f395_k.jpg20161005_150219 by Danny Campbell, on Flickr

I have a pair of Joseph's hand guards attached with E6000 to rubber gloves like he mentions above. I wear them for trooping. After almost a year, they are still tightly attached.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I received the silicone hard guards from Just Joseph and gloves from trooperbay and used e6000 and they are sticking on with no problem.  Love them

• Like 1

As I mentioned above, getting most anything to adhere to pure silicone is darned near impossible.  The duck cloth I embed on mine allows for you to use any sort of glue, but I recommend E-6000