Looking for E-11 expert

slave1pilot

I know there's a wealth of info on this site regarding the E-11, but I have a few specific questions and I need someone that knows them backwards and forwards to answer.

Anyone know who is the most knowledgeable and would engage me in a private discussion!

Thanks so much everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian is spot-on there, Nathan.  A lot of it depends on which type of E-11 you have/are building, (Hyperfirm, Doopydoos, scratch-built, Hasbro mod.) etc.   If you post up a list of questions, there are a LOT of people here that will be more than happy to help!

• Like 1

I guess I should start with a little history...

I've not been very active around here for many years,so many of you don't remember me. I used to make and sell Hyperfirms back when we were called Sci-Fire ( before the original creator John gave it all up and let Lewis have the whole "business") It was John, Lewis, and I that were Sci-Fire back then. So, I do know a bit about them.That was probably close to ten years ago,so it's understandable that people don't know .

Ok, now the reason I'm looking for information:

John and I decided to get back into the rubber blaster game. We wanted to address a few issues with the old blasters while making a more accurate E-11 that is durable and easy to troop with.

John has about 20 years in Movie prop experience and he's doing most of the work lol. Times have changed drastically in that business and new techniques and materials have been developed in the past few years, so we'd like to update the product.

We are looking to find out what the most desirable version of the E-11 is.

Obviously we will Start with a real L2a3 Sterling, but then we need to make the changes to create the E-11

Counter box:

Hengstler 400, but Which version should we use ?

Big eagle ?

Small Eagle?

Metal socket?

Plastic socket?

Scope:

M38?

M19?

With or without the block on top?

We modeled and 3D printed the power cylinders and are probably only going to use one version.

John and I are calling ourselves "Praetorian Blasters" . The Praetorians were the highest level of the Centurion guards in Ancient Rome, so it seemed fitting since we are striving for a level of accuracy and quality above the elite level.

That all being said, let me introduce you to our first version of the Praetorian Blaster E-11...

http://praetorianblasters.com/

Please look through the gallery and post up your thoughts here.

The website is under construction , but we will be adding more info and updating the site as we build.

Hengstler 400: both with big and small eagle, and with metal socket are accurate. Scopes: M38/M40 and M19/M32 are all accurate, not M38A2 though (unless modified to fill the mid channel and look like a regular M38/M40). You can add a block on top. It all depends of the scene, some blasters come with one greeblie, but maybe not the other. Andy aka PlayfulWolfCub made a very nice PDF about blasters and cylinders too.

Looks amazing what you have there already. If that's the finished product, the only thing really bringing it down is the front sight infill. Any way that can be overcome?

Looks amazing what you have there already. If that's the finished product, the only thing really bringing it down is the front sight infill. Any way that can be overcome?

Yes, that is a finished blaster ,

The front site (and the lack of a hollow scope rail) are a couple of the concessions we had to make .

Unfortunately, the mold wouldn't last very long if we tried a hollow front site. The material would be too thin and tear the mold . It would probably also get locked in the mold .

We are a step to simulate the sight and rail being hollow . I suppose someone could go back in and dremel out the front site, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort .

Thanks for the feedback , we are always trying to improve in what we have .

Great to see you on the boards Nathan. For those of you who are "young" in the sense of SW costuming, Nathan is also a fantastic painter and detailer of blasters as well. I'm confident anything he produces will be highly coveted.

Hope to see more thoughts pour in. :)

Nathan - as always please feel free to post any pix or status updates here as often as you like. :)

I posted some of this on the thread over at MEPD as well, but probably warrants mention here, where there is more traffic, too.

Reading above, the "block" on top of the scope is accurate, in some cases?  I personally don't care for it... I don't remember seeing it, and it just looks bizarre.  I'd leave that out, if it were up to my vote.  If not, can it be cut off relatively easily?

Shame about the scope rail.  I really think the filled in portion is not great for the overall look.  I understand from a moulding standpoint but can it be cut out in the final product?  What about replacing it with an actual metal rail?  (which is what THG Props did with their otherwise rubber E11s)  That might solve any dropping issues, for a modest bump in price or complexity.  Perhaps as an option?

I suppose the same issue exists with regard to the front site infill?  Again, is it just a moulding issue or a structural issue?  Because if that fill can be cut out, the look would be considerably enhanced.  Might be a skosh fragile by comparison to the rest, but just a thought, anyway.  If it's just not a good idea, I'm not hung up on that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 5:23 AM, kman said:

I posted some of this on the thread over at MEPD as well, but probably warrants mention here, where there is more traffic, too.

Reading above, the "block" on top of the scope is accurate, in some cases?  I personally don't care for it... I don't remember seeing it, and it just looks bizarre.  I'd leave that out, if it were up to my vote.  If not, can it be cut off relatively easily?

Shame about the scope rail.  I really think the filled in portion is not great for the overall look.  I understand from a moulding standpoint but can it be cut out in the final product?  What about replacing it with an actual metal rail?  (which is what THG Props did with their otherwise rubber E11s)  That might solve any dropping issues, for a modest bump in price or complexity.  Perhaps as an option?

I suppose the same issue exists with regard to the front site infill?  Again, is it just a moulding issue or a structural issue?  Because if that fill can be cut out, the look would be considerably enhanced.  Might be a skosh fragile by comparison to the rest, but just a thought, anyway.  If it's just not a good idea, I'm not hung up on that.

Yeah, nobody requested the block yet, so we will probably discontinue it. I thought it was a neat option (seeing as Luke has one on his blaster)

---------------

and the scope rail and front sights being filled is something that has to be done to keep costs down. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I like the block too. Maybe if there is some leftover chunks of rubber from the castings, you could cut those to size and toss it in upon request.

Nathan I seen your post on facebook about making the Rogue One version of the BlasTech E-11. I also seen that you already acquired the S&T Airsoft Sterling and some other parts. If you need any reference our detachment leader has put me in charge of creating an official Rogue One E-11 Blaster Reference;  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41271-rogue-one-e-11-blaster-reference/

Check out the thread and let me know what you think. :salute:

• Like 1

Nathan you should definitely be starting a new build thread in the "R1 BlasTech E11" section of the Weapons Locker subforum; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/181-r1-blastech-e11/  We need more build threads to get the ball rolling at this point as the topic is still fairly new.

Show all your collected parts and progress, troopers will notice the quality of your work trust me, do the same for your ANH version too if you still have any photos of the process. Only make sure to do that one in the appropriate ANH BlasTech E11 section of the weapons locker.

Edited by SlyFox740

Nathan you should definitely be starting a new build thread in the "R1 BlasTech E11" section of the Weapons Locker subforum; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/181-r1-blastech-e11/ We need more build threads to get the ball rolling at this point as the topic is still fairly new.

Show all your collected parts and progress, troopers will notice the quality of your work trust me, do the same for your ANH version too if you still have any photos of the process. Only make sure to do that one in the appropriate ANH BlasTech E11 section of the weapons locker.

Here it is

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41732-%22Praetorian-Blasters%22-R1-E-11-Build-up