TK Helmet Internal Mods/Upgrade? Pics would be great!

Another newb request for information!

Is there a thread within FISD that discusses some common "comfort" internal modifications or upgrades (NOT the electronics, fans, etc.) to the standard TK lid?

I'm particularly interested in the various options for head bands (I've seen a few 3M hard hat bands as well as just padding from a bicycle helmets, etc.) and also lining on the inside of the entire helmet.

Also, I've seen a few pics of lids that appear to have been painted black on the inside. Is there any benefit to this?

Any pics would be fantastic!

Thanks

Edited by Ragtooth

You can use the MICH helmet pads. Those can be positioned any way that is comfortable. They can be removed to wash. I went with a full motorcycle padding set. I glued in some velcro so I can take it out if necessary but it works great and is very comfortable. I hate the hardhat liners just because I have never found one that is comfortable or looks good. But that is only my opinion. There are a lot of troopers who love them so it is all personal choice.

As far as painting the inside black, that too is personal choice. Mine is painted. Putting on my helmet, painted black and completely padded helps me get into character.

THANK YOU! I've been looking for those pads.   :duim:

I'll experiment with the various harnesses and pads --  hard hat, MICH and I also have a few old motorcycle helmets that have "expired" that I could repurpose.  I'm installing some electronic bells & whistles so I also need to adapt for that.  I'm thinking that if I'll be trooping is S. Florida (meaning that it's freakin' hot!) that the hard hat band may provide a bit more circulation.

As far as the paint, is there any particular "best" type of paint to use?  flat? Rattle can variety? enamel? 

Thanks again!

THANK YOU! I've been looking for those pads. :duim:

I'll experiment with the various harnesses and pads -- hard hat, MICH and I also have a few old motorcycle helmets that have "expired" that I could repurpose. I'm installing some electronic bells & whistles so I also need to adapt for that. I'm thinking that if I'll be trooping is S. Florida (meaning that it's freakin' hot!) that the hard hat band may provide a bit more circulation.

As far as the paint, is there any particular "best" type of paint to use? flat? Rattle can variety? enamel?

Thanks again!

For what I've seen here, many people use Plastidip, that's a liquid rubber that can be sprayed as regular spray paint...

Painting inside the helmet is entirely optional, but it does cut down on light reflection on the inside, and frankly it looks more "real" when you look inside, and less like a plastic helmet.  PlastiDip is the tool of choice.  Most (and easiest) is to use the spray version.  I think I did 3 thin coats until it felt thick enough and well covered enough (just mask VERY WELL and follow the directions on the can).  Other people like the thick gloopy hand-paint-on version because you can add thin cheesecloth layers and actually increase the structural strength of the helmet.

I second the army ACH padding recommendation, if you decide against the hard hat liners.  There are pros and cons to each.  The ACH padding still allows circulation, and I find it more comfortable than hard hat liners.  Stupidly easy to install, too, since it simply velcros in place. :)  I like the real surplus stuff (quality), but you can get cheaper chinese airsoft knockoffs, too.

Depending on which helmet you have, many people also like to cut the lens into two individual lenses, which can makes it less likely to dig into the bridge of your nose, and sometimes frees up some room inside as well.

20160521182312-55990284-la.jpg

Edited by kman
  • Like 1