ESB AM 2.0 Build - Woodbridge, VA

Hello!

After spending quite some time reading other build threads and talking to some very helpful members, I feel like I'm ready to start a build thread! 

This is a link to my ongoing record of the costumes, props and materials I will be buying for this build:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I would appreciate any feedback on my list, anything I may I have missed? 

Hoping to be able to start with trimming this weekend when I've got my kit in hand.

My work space if very limited (a folding table in a basement storage room), but trying to make the best of it. Will probably do the majority of my fitting, cutting, and sanding there and then gluing/painting at my parents house where I can leave them in the basement. 

My goal is to have this build finished and wearable by AwesomeCon in mid June. Thanks in advanced for your help  :)

• Like 2

Hi Raul,

have you linked up with Garrison Tyranus yet? http://www.garrisontyranus.com

Armor parties in your neck of the woods are pretty frequent, could get some additional help with your build :duim:

Hello Nova Tie! Yes, i did check out GT. Posted in the welcome thread and the members who have been helping me out are from the Garrison as well!

Unfortunately no armor parties for a while but I'll keep checking!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15' of Velcro in white and black?

How are you planning on doing your strapping? I see both that and snaps, you won't need both. I'd recommend 1" black elastic for the bicep to shoulder and armband, 2" for everything else, and white for the shoulder. I did use white industrial Velcro for my calves, but that was it. Found it in 6" strips at the local Wal-Mart, was able to cut the width in half to only need one pack per calf. Cut up squares of the no parking sign make excellent snap plates. You can glue the elastic directly to one side of the armor w/ e600 to cut the number of snaps needed.

I did not end up needing a dremel, the curved + straight lexan scissors worked great. For magnets, you will need a LOT, 20 - 40. Buying retail from Ace or another hardware store will bust the budget, check online for them in bulk. The nickel-sized ones worked best for me. Good luck, even without an armor party, you could likely borrow clamps, magnets, paint, etc. Reach out to Anna (ID-13609), she is close-by and has previously hosted armor parties.

Edited by vettereddie

You can definitely find the gloves cheaper on ebay. Assuming you are using black Nomex flight gloves (generally the preferred choice for trooping), simply do an ebay search on the term "black Nomex flight gloves". You may be able to find them for as little as $10 per pair.

Echoing what Brian from OLG said, you definitely don't need 15' of Velcro (either white or black), but you will need the elastic that he refers to. I get my elastic from Joann Fabrics.

Don't forget to add the cost of a cloth belt - TKittell is the go to guy for that. I already sent you the link via PM but here it is again: http://www.imperialissue.com.

Magnets ... you're going to need a lot of them (I recommend 40-50) and buying them retail comes at a premium. You can get them much cheaper online. I used http://www.banggood.com for my most recent magnet purchase, as I found they were by far the cheapest. Problem is, they are imported from China (of course), and can take weeks to arrive - time you don't have if you want to be done by mid-June. In your case, a domestic supplier would be a better choice. http://www.kjmagnetics.com and http://www.magnet4less.com are two suppliers I've used in the past. Look for disc-shaped Ne rare earth magnets of N42 or greater strength, approximately 3/4" x 1/8" in size. You'll need plenty because (1) it's a 24 hour cure time when gluing parts together via E6000 and the number of clamps and magnets you have is your limiting factor, (2) they tend to want to fly together and shatter so you'll need extras to account for losses, and (3) they are stackable if you feel you need to increase the pull force.

Snaps - Nickel-plated Line 24 snaps from Tandy leather is generally the recommended choice. I would get the 100 pack, as you will inevitably ruin a few (or more) as you are learning how to properly set them. You'll also want to pick up a compatible snap setting tool while you're at it.

Scissors - I recommend you get the curved and straight hobby (Lexan) scissors as a set. Both are useful, and they can be found on amazon.com

15' of Velcro in white and black?

How are you planning on doing your strapping? I see both that and snaps, you won't need both. I'd recommend 1" black elastic for the bicep to shoulder and armband, 2" for everything else, and white for the shoulder. I did use white industrial Velcro for my calves, but that was it. Found it in 6" strips at the local Wal-Mart, was able to cut the width in half to only need one pack per calf. Cut up squares of the no parking sign make excellent snap plates. You can glue the elastic directly to one side of the armor w/ e600 to cut the number of snaps needed.

I did not end up needing a dremel, the curved + straight lexan scissors worked great. For magnets, you will need a LOT, 20 - 40. Buying retail from Ace or another hardware store will bust the budget, check online for them in bulk. The nickel-sized ones worked best for me. Good luck, even without an armor party, you could likely borrow clamps, magnets, paint, etc. Reach out to Anna (ID-13609), she is close-by and has previously hosted armor parties.

Hello vettereddie and thank you for your response.

The velcro I pulled off another tk resource thread on here :) luckily not bought yet so there is time to get the correct items still.  About how much length of each color elastic do you recommend?

Do you have pictures of your straps? Namely the ones you glued directly on?

I'm not sure how to use the ID to track send Anna a message, would you mind sending me a PM with how to do that, or connecting us via PM? 

You can definitely find the gloves cheaper on ebay. Assuming you are using black Nomex flight gloves (generally the preferred choice for trooping), simply do an ebay search on the term "black Nomex flight gloves". You may be able to find them for as little as $10 per pair.

Echoing what Brian from OLG said, you definitely don't need 15' of Velcro (either white or black), but you will need the elastic that he refers to. I get my elastic from Joann Fabrics.

Don't forget to add the cost of a cloth belt - TKittell is the go to guy for that. I already sent you the link via PM but here it is again: http://www.imperialissue.com.

Magnets ... you're going to need a lot of them (I recommend 40-50) and buying them retail comes at a premium. You can get them much cheaper online. I used http://www.banggood.com for my most recent magnet purchase, as I found they were by far the cheapest. Problem is, they are imported from China (of course), and can take weeks to arrive - time you don't have if you want to be done by mid-June. In your case, a domestic supplier would be a better choice. http://www.kjmagnetics.com and http://www.magnet4less.com are two suppliers I've used in the past. Look for disc-shaped Ne rare earth magnets of N42 or greater strength, approximately 3/4" x 1/8" in size. You'll need plenty because (1) it's a 24 hour cure time when gluing parts together via E6000 and the number of clamps and magnets you have is your limiting factor, (2) they tend to want to fly together and shatter so you'll need extras to account for losses, and (3) they are stackable if you feel you need to increase the pull force.

Snaps - Nickel-plated Line 24 snaps from Tandy leather is generally the recommended choice. I would get the 100 pack, as you will inevitably ruin a few (or more) as you are learning how to properly set them. You'll also want to pick up a compatible snap setting tool while you're at it.

Scissors - I recommend you get the curved and straight hobby (Lexan) scissors as a set. Both are useful, and they can be found on amazon.com

Hello again TkrestonVA and thank you again for all the tremendous help you have been.

Gloves - the trooperbay gloves includes the rubber handplates (https://trooperbay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gloves) . Does that change your thoughts? I would prefer a different material than rubber for the gloves, but it seems the hand plates can also be purchased separately for $35.  Or is this something that is in the AM kit (though obviously not in rubber) and more of an upgrade rather than a need?

Magnets - checked out kjmagnets, seems like 40 nickel plated magnets of that dimension would run me about $75.. yowza!

the set found at ace were ceramic magnets, seemed pretty strong when I tested them, and they were $2.50 for 8 of them, Do you think these might not be as strong as I require? If not, will try to see if anyone in the area is willing to lend me their magnet set.

Snaps-  great, was unsure on  correct size. thank you for confirming.

Scissors- will do! 

Anna likely isn't on FISD, but you can reach her via PM on the GT forum - she goes by the username "azri".

For ESB, you don't use rubber handplates. You use the snowtrooper-style hard plastic handplates (the AM kit comes with a set). So no need for the gloves, either.

You'll definitely want the Neodymium rare earth magnets (as opposed to the ceramic magnets). If you've never played with rare earth magnets, you'll be shocked at the difference. There is simply no comparison in the level of pull force between the two, and you'll need it to hold the thick AM plastic together while the E6000 cures.

You can see a picture of my internal chest strapping in my EIB submittal.

It's a simple process.

- lay out your strips w/ the armor pieces touching and draw an outline of where you want the strap to go

- put e600 on one side and lay it against the armor

- tape it in position w/ painter's tape and wait 24 hours

For lining up the snap plate on the other end I put the snaps in the elastic and plate, lined it up with the other end and marked again. Then I moves the plate a bit further away to glue down, this will allow for tension in the elastic and hold the pieces tight together.

Don't be afraid to use a sharpie on the inside to mark, it will never be seen.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40996-tk-75053-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-anovos-705/

Welcome Raul!  Looking forward to trooping with you in Garrison Tyranus!  My kit's also a ESB.  Hope to see you at AwesomeCon this year!  I'll be up there that Saturday but I'll be wearing my Kylo.

Much thanks!   Awesomecon is one of my favorites, this will be my 4th year going. Crazy how much it's grown.

Edited by rrosadob

Updated list with items purchased last night:

-Tandy Snaps and setter

- Black Silk Gloves

- Helmet Padding

-Painter's tape

- Curved and Straight Scissors

-  Needle File Set

- Ruler

Still need to get:

Elastic

E6000

d-ring

visor

Belt

paints

Does the AM 2.0 Kit come with the rubber and screws necessary to finish the helmet or do i need to get them separately?  

I know this is available but I imagine I  can find them cheaper on my own: (https://trooperbay.com/costuming-accessories/kits-combos/helmet-builder-basic-combo-set)

*edit*  

justjoseph63 sent me the wire mesh for the frown. Thank you!

Edited by rrosadob

BBB day was yesterday! Along with my boots and all the tools I ordered, had a nice drop waiting when i got home.

(Little Ahsoka was excited too!)

After about 2 hours of "wait, is this the right piece or the left piece??" With just about all the kit, I decided to start with a small piece, the left bicep. Hopefully did this right! Also cut and sanded out the teeth on the helmet.

Is my cut line right on the top of the helmet face? I.e. I need to cut off that tab? Right? :)

Also, the dome on the helmet is warped. Best way to fix?45bf78b9cff8c1430bfe4ff7885c63c0.jpg48e1139357c451754c8872daba65279e.jpg1919e0e93bf23851f032a95c3f589be7.jpg3e9c5d232556dc133fe9daa2f485ec8c.jpg2632732c9c2175a4af69e3d7aa17899b.jpg

Congratulations on BBB Day (along with boots & tools day)! Looks like you're off to a good start.

Regarding the helmet face, although I'm not a pro at AM helmet assembly (but I do have some experience), that raised ridge has to be there for a reason. Best to leave it on until you are absolutely certain you don't need it. Ditto with the warped dome - let someone else with more experience look at it first before doing anything with it. In the meantime, you can work on other parts of the kit.

Also, the dome will straighten out a bit when you attach the face plate. It'll definitely pull the sides in a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Do you know the right size cover strips for the various parts?

Thanks!

Do you know the right size cover strips for the various parts?

There is a lot of info about this on the site on the ANH threads. They are suggestions. Since the AM suit is upscaled a bit, you can go a little larger than the recommendation (a few mm or so). Most seem to stay with recommended sizes on front and go a little larger on back if needed. Here are the notes I have from when I was trying to figure it out. Double check with the other threads though.

c02fa90a5768b1a3fdfd91785c5ebbbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is a lot of info about this on the site on the ANH threads. They are suggestions. Since the AM suit is upscaled a bit, you can go a little larger than the recommendation (a few mm or so). Most seem to stay with recommended sizes on front and go a little larger on back if needed. Here are the notes I have from when I was trying to figure it out. Double check with the other threads though.

c02fa90a5768b1a3fdfd91785c5ebbbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a ton!

Hey everyone! been working on it just about everyday for an hour here or there but feel liek I've gotten a good chunk done!

This was my first complete part, left bicep! woo
18222020_10208993923996633_8573928872213

then things picked up once I (mostly) "figured" it out:
18198205_10208993923476620_2881832084928
18268315_10209007491695817_6916484810019

18301166_10209007493335858_3315887961078

Shoulders have straps in them,  out cover strips installed on both forearms and biceps.    I will be making snap plates tonight.

I also taped together the back to fit and prep for trimming.  Is the pencil line in the picture the proper spot to cut more or less? i was eyeballing it based off pics from other build threads. I'm supposed to trim that down and then add a shim to the kidney plate to cover up my sides?

18275200_10209007488095727_1768343546123
18275200_10209007488095727_1768343546123

Also, would be okay trimming this much, or possibly even more for mobility on the right forearm?
18199120_10209007493495862_3026603441298

Same thing here: right place more or less to cut on cod piece?
18275161_10209007493735868_3299498786008

Oh, also finished the thermal Detonator (thanks for the clips UKSWRATH!)

18268174_10209007487495712_6787102544502

18222532_10209007487015700_1022051562396

Next up will be adding those snap plates to the arms. 

I'm a little nervous to do the thighs and shins because I'm not sure what the proper sizing is.  Forging ahead with what I can :)

Helmet is also on hold until I can get some help on it. I was able to work out the deformity in the dome more or less by just attached the face plate with some clamps and tape for a few days. seems to be much more even now but I'd love some help with attaching the ears.

Neck seal, helmet electronics (fan, voice, hearing assist), gloves, boots,  have all arrived.  Hyperfirm blaster and thigh garter should be here soon as well. Going to also measure this weekend for the belt.

thanks for reading everyone

Edited by rrosadob