If you had a choice....

Agreed. Ā I like my Anovos armor and am glad it was my first shot at building armor, but I can already tell its not going to last very long with a lot of trooping.

Oh? Why do you say that? Alot of people traded their existing set for Anovos. I have only seen the helmet.

Do you feel that the Anovos kit is acceptable or does it need alot to be "accurate" enough for us?

Ā 

It's no less accurate than some vetted armor sold.

Ā 

My main reason for switching opinions is Anovos's inability (due to licencing restrictions) to make needed changes to make it more accurate prior to selling. #2 The armor cracks way too easy.Ā 

• Like 2

I have a set of AM armor which I use for regular trooping, (HWT) and a set of Anovos for when I need to go shiny white. Ā The Anovos is OK, but as mentioned it is prone to cracking/splitting in certain areas, especially around the neck. Ā These areas can be reinforced with ABS, though. Ā As for approval, there have been many who have reached Centurion level with it, including myself.

• Like 2

I don't have anything from Anovos, but from all the horror stories I've heard, I will never buy from them. Ā My kit's an MTK and I love it to no end! Ā It's held up very well the two years I've had it and your turnaround time and customer service are fantastic, Mike!Ā  :salute:

Well obviously I'm gonna say MTK! No for real though, knowing what I know about Anovos armor now, I would honestly choose any fan made TK armor over Anovos any day. You can just tell that so much care went into a set from a fan made vendor then just the rushed production from Anovos. I just think the issue that many fan made vendors run into is the lack of a website or facebook page. It seems that many first time buyers hesitate pulling the trigger when you are just communicating with some guy over emails. Keep up the good work Mike!

I agree with the general consensus here.

Ā 

Fanmade is the halmark of the FISD. The anovos TK is closer to accuracy than any other licensed kit, but 'close' wont get you a gold coin.

I love my Anovos kit. I like the look, the build was easy thanks to the cut lines and personanly haven't seen any durabilty issues yet. Ā However when I inevitably need a new kit I'll be speaking to RS, TM or CFO even if Anovos works out cheaper (for me it probably won't due to shipping and tax).

Based on wait for delivery alone, I'd go MTK.

Ā 

My Anovos ANH TK was ordered in November 2015 and delivered by Feb. 2016. However, the TFA TK ordered September 2016 won't be available until July 2017 at the earliest, and Anovos has a history of rolling back release dates.

Ā 

For accuracy, swapping the belt is a PITA mainly due to the infernal pink glue used to hold the rivet covers in place. For optional accuracy, tube stripes are also too low, point teeth need painting and the TD and helmet screws are wrong. TheyĀ are relatively easy fixes though.

Ā 

The soft goods are a waste of money, the under suit bleeds into the armor, the gloves can be found for less and while I'm fortunate enough to fit the neck seal at a 16" collar, others aren't so lucky. It's nice that they do offer an option without them now.Ā 

Ā 

After trooping under a year I am having cracks show up in the chest plate, butt, shoulder bells, shoulder straps and back plate. I've bee making running repairs but do wonder the longevity of trooping in it, may be forced to go play in the sandbox at some point.

Edited by vettereddie

I agree with the general consensus here.

Ā 

Fanmade is the halmark of the FISD. The anovos TK is closer to accuracy than any other licensed kit, but 'close' wont get you a gold coin.

Ā 

Unfortunately they don't need a "Gold" coin when they have the "Golden Goose". I understand the frustration with the vetted "fanmade" builders but you if want to blame some company start with LFL who sold you out, than Disney for keeping the noose around Anovos's licencing neck. It's my understanding Anovos can't even fart without Disney's approval.Ā 

Ā 

Edit: From a DO's point of view Anovos is by far the most frustrating and yet exciting armor to review. Out of the box it's loaded with issues, remedy the issues and you have a nice looking set of armor. Unfortunately as expressed in previous posts cookie cutter armor has it's drawbacks, #1 on the list, durability. Most vetted armor will last a few seasons of continuous use, Anovos a season or two at best having to reinforce or replace sections. #2 Customer service. When these pieces break, without replacement parts the wearer has to mismatch his armor or start over with new. Unless Anovos gets their CS act together soon I foresee and onslaught of very upset owners in the near future, score another one for fan made.

I think it's more of a mileage, communication and tooling thing. It took Anovos forever to get the Chinese to even come close on many parts of the armor. The Chinese are constantly looking for shortcuts. Many parts were changed without consulting Anovos and then there is the communication gap. Anovos probably clocked 2 or 300,000 miles flying back and forth to China. I wasn't personally involved but I did pick this info up from conversations with them. Disney has a process for approval just like any company. I don't think they would care all that much if it was too accurate. There are many props that are licensed now that are spot on in my opinion.Ā 

Ā 

Sounds like there is a lower amount of butadiene in the Anovos ABS. Ā LessĀ butadiene will give greater detail and make the armor increasingly brittle like styrene. Increased butadiene will give the armor resilience but less ability to draw into the the bucks and hold shape. Also keep in mind that this stuff is made in batches. The next batch of armor they do may have totally different ABS. Different color, different composition...

Ā 

Regarding MTK specifically, what do you think needs to change?

Ā 

All this being said. You cant mass produce stormtrooper armor. It's impossible. Too many details have to be messed with so that the manufacturing process can be easy. So there will never be any company that can replicate the detail that fan made armorers can. The companies want to make money. The armorers want to make armor. :)

Edited by TK-4510
  • Like 3

I think it's more of a mileage, communication and tooling thing. It took Anovos forever to get the Chinese to even come close on many parts of the armor. The Chinese are constantly looking for shortcuts. Many parts were changed without consulting Anovos and then there is the communication gap. Anovos probably clocked 2 or 300,000 miles flying back and forth to China. I wasn't personally involved but I did pick this info up from conversations with them. Disney has a process for approval just like any company. I don't think they would care all that much if it was too accurate. There are many props that are licensed now that are spot on in my opinion.

Ā 

Sounds like there is a lower amount of butadiene in the Anovos ABS. Less butadiene will give greater detail and make the armor increasingly brittle like styrene. Increased butadiene will give the armor resilience but less ability to draw into the the bucks and hold shape. Also keep in mind that this stuff is made in batches. The next batch of armor they do may have totally different ABS. Different color, different composition...

Ā 

Ā 

All this being said. You cant mass produce stormtrooper armor. It's impossible. Too many details have to be messed with so that the manufacturing process can be easy. So there will never be any company that can replicate the detail that fan made armorers can. The companies want to make money. The armorers want to make armor. :)

Honestly, I love my MTK I wouldn't change much about it if anything. It's got nice detail and holds up well. It's got great trim lines. After three years mine is still holding up extremely well. It's an amazing bang for your buck. I also love how it has a little extra room for fitment.

Ā 

Now, if MTK were to do a run of black armor....

Ā 

Well I'd be all over that. *Wink wink*

Ā 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think it's more of a mileage, communication and tooling thing. It took Anovos forever to get the Chinese to even come close on many parts of the armor. The Chinese are constantly looking for shortcuts. Many parts were changed without consulting Anovos and then there is the communication gap. Anovos probably clocked 2 or 300,000 miles flying back and forth to China. I wasn't personally involved but I did pick this info up from conversations with them. Disney has a process for approval just like any company. I don't think they would care all that much if it was too accurate. There are many props that are licensed now that are spot on in my opinion.

Ā 

Sounds like there is a lower amount of butadiene in the Anovos ABS. Ā LessĀ butadiene will give greater detail and make the armor increasingly brittle like styrene. Increased butadiene will give the armor resilience but less ability to draw into the the bucks and hold shape. Also keep in mind that this stuff is made in batches. The next batch of armor they do may have totally different ABS. Different color, different composition...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMHO it's not that it's brittle, as it is too thin. I'm not a chemist so I couldn't tell you the make up but in the thinner areas it tears, a common problem seen when trimming excess. In these areas it's neither thick enough or strong enough to score and snap. That said, it's obvious this material was selected to conform to the tight edges and corners of their metal pucks. As said before mass producing definitely has it's drawbacks.

Ā 

Who here that sells anything wouldn't jump on the opportunity to make armor backed by LFL and Disney, two of the most successful entertainment companies in the world, and make decent money doing it?Ā In my opinion only, Anovos got in way over their heads and now are bound to a licencing agreement that restricts them from easily making accuracy & durability changes. Toss in their CS rep, what a mess. Ā 

Ā 

As for how you can make yours better, I respectfully bow out as I don't hold a candle to most of you armorersĀ  :salute: