Armour Bin for strapped torso.

Hi All

I've seen loads of posts about storage/transport bins for armour but never found the answer to my question

What size of storage bin is needed for armour which is connected with the bracket system front and back, and connected at the side with webbing riveted on. This means I can't take the armour apart for storage or transport.

Obviously this makes if a fair size as I gather a lot of you guys and girls can disconnect snaps and stack the pieces inside each other therefore taking up a lot less room.

Hopefully someone has encountered this problem in the past and found a suitable solution.

I'm in the UK so a lot of the bins I've seen aren't available this side of the pond but an idea of what size to look for would be great.

Just waiting on clearance for my armour then I hope to join my trooper brothers and sisters doing good.

Cheers

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Brian,<br><br>

I have RS armor with original strapping. I have been squeezing it into a regular suitcase but recently it started to get cracks being under too much stress. I bought a huge golf case from SKB for my TFA armor and planned on using that for my strapped armor but its far too big. I have ended up undoing the side elastics & left shoulder strap to separate the front and back for the time being. I have not found a great case for armor with the strapping as is as of yet. Going to buy a Japanese racing case made by Protex and hope that will fit. Unfortunately I don't have a great solution for you. Just thought to share my situation . Hope you find a good case to transport it safely.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This gives me a somewhere to start searching.

I forgot to mention my other problem and that is the actual transportation of the armour bin. I've got an Audi TT coupe so fitting anything too large in the back is going to be a struggle.

The 110 litre fat max suggested by TK73511 above looks like it it not as tall so I'll have a better look at that when I get home from work.

Cheers

Brian

picked this up last week the above mentioned 113 L fatmax fits in boot of my focus with parcel shelf still in place  91*51*43, I have RS which as stated is riveted also so some clever packing main amour and limbs fits, just sourcing separate bag for my bucket

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Gonna measure the torso tonight and get a feel for size. Hope the 110L (30 gallon) size will do. Easier fit for the car. Expected to have to get a helmet bag anyway.

I use a large suitcase for the armour (clamshell like yours) and a seperate bag for helmet and the smaller bits.<br><br>

Tried one of the 145l trunks from Homebase (£15), and whilst EVERYTHING can fit in it, it takes up the whole back seat of the car, and is a pain to get up stairs.

I use a large suitcase for the armour (clamshell like yours) and a seperate bag for helmet and the smaller bits.<br><br>

Tried one of the 145l trunks from Homebase (£15), and whilst EVERYTHING can fit in it, it takes up the whole back seat of the car, and is a pain to get up stairs.

Yeah getting the big boxes out past 2 stair gates and through small store hall ways is always fun.  I'm sure I'm 1 or 2 knocks from breaking off a lock loop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-Utility-Cart-Black-209261/203668066

Using this tote, I place my shins in my thigh armor and my arms in the shin armor and pack them inside the torso then place them in the above tote like putting a baby to bed. There is still room for my helm, boots, e-11 as well as the handy storage tote for extras. 
----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

This may not help much seeing as you are in the U.K., but my kit is strapped identically to yours and I use this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-Storage-Locker/2476189

With some creative packing (think Russian stacking dolls), I can get everything in except the helmet. The entire costume fits inside of the trunk (what you all call the boot) of a 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle.

- Blaster goes inside one of the shins

- Shins go inside the thighs

- Gloves (with handplates attached) go inside of the forearms

- Forearms go inside of the biceps

- Biceps go inside of the shoulder bells

- Thighs/shins/blaster and shoulders/biceps/forearms/gloves inside the clamshelled torso

- Clamshell is closed and held closed by the snaps at the shoulder and the right side ab (i.e. the Han Solo snap)

- Utility belt remains snapped to the torso and is fastened in the back of the kidney plate - the holster remains attached to the belt and lies alongside the torso

- Torso is placed inside the storage locker (much like I imagine placing a body inside of a coffin)

- Thermal detonator goes inside one of the boots

- Boots go in the gaps at the sides of the torso

- Lid is closed and latched

The helmet itself is carried externally in a helmet bag. I also stuff my undersuit, socks, and neckseal inside the helmet before putting it in the helmet bag.

• Like 1

I love this information. I've always had a knack for creative packing. My kids always said I would win a gold medal for dishwasher Tetris so this sounds like a challenge accepted moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MY Bin is now ready for action  :) thinking about  starting a Garrison logo decal swap thread to help continue the coverage theme

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 5

Eventually went for the 113L fatmax which arrived yesterday and looking good for size. Still gotta take out parcel shelf and put back seats down to get in the car though. Got a helmet bag too so sorted for transporting armour now. Well sorta. Need to pimp out the interior to stop any damage from rattling about and see about customising the outside like chopper has

• Like 1

Eventually went for the 113L fatmax which arrived yesterday and looking good for size. Still gotta take out parcel shelf and put back seats down to get in the car though. Got a helmet bag too so sorted for transporting armour now. Well sorta. Need to pimp out the interior to stop any damage from rattling about and see about customising the outside like chopper has

Have a look for Assassin Graphics on facebook.  UKG member whos been doing a lot of dress up stuff for us, nice guy too.

• Like 1

Blaster inside the shins, thanks for the tip.

I'd been doing the nesting concept in the smaller 250-gal Husky mobile job box (sans helmet) but it's always a challenge to fit the blaster.

American Tourister has a booth at the Celebration. I noticed a few other troopers had there so I jumped right on that bandwagon and bought one.
http://shop.americantourister.com/luggage/american-tourister-star-wars-28%22-spinner/657784608.html

70x50x31cm. Fits my TK with room to spare... and... it goes as a checked bag with no oversize fees. :)

There's a lot to be said for using a large suitcase. Most long serving members in my garrison use one. I'll need to grab one at some point for occasions when my Stanley isn't the most practical option.

To fit its roughly forearms in side the shins inside the thighs, all other bits apart and stack. Should fit just fine. If you make bags from a blanket for each part it will stop scratching.

• 3 weeks later...

American Tourister has a booth at the Celebration. I noticed a few other troopers had there so I jumped right on that bandwagon and bought one.

http://shop.americantourister.com/luggage/american-tourister-star-wars-28%22-spinner/657784608.html

70x50x31cm. Fits my TK with room to spare... and... it goes as a checked bag with no oversize fees. :)

That's a sweet case. It would go nicely with the R2-D2 carry-on luggage I have. Just the carry-on droid I was looking for

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1e45/

There's a lot to be said for using a large suitcase. Most long serving members in my garrison use one. I'll need to grab one at some point for occasions when my Stanley isn't the most practical option.

To fit its roughly forearms in side the shins inside the thighs, all other bits apart and stack. Should fit just fine. If you make bags from a blanket for each part it will stop scratching.

I've reached out to Tony at assassin graphics but I'm trying to get my hands on a High resolution image of the Imperial Scottish Squad logo for him so I can get it put on my plates.

I'll wait and see how the bin works out before I decide whether I need something else.

Edited by Bri_McD135