good armor and a bad rep?

so Ive been reading alot of posts and getting a feel for things here, questions pop up.... I saw a post that was saying an armorer in particular wasnt good to deal with..... it was in the "where what and whom to avoid when buying"

the direct quote: "Unscrupulous Individuals and Websites to avoid:

Star Fortress A.K.A. Nexus_enterprising A.K.A. Starbays (on etsy)
Matt Gauthier (TE)
www.stormtroopershop.com A.K.A. Jedi-Robe

lowcost-armors.com"

so my question is are these particulars just due to individual bad experience or is there more to it..... I did read the history of armor and gathered that theres alot of "opinions" about Matt G. now do you guys just not like him and he makes good 501st approvable armor or do you not like him and refuse to approve his armor or is his armor plain bad and unapprovable lol

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
Removed font colour to be more readable.

I can't speak for the others listed, but I can verify that Starfortress is dubious AT BEST. The owner of Starfortress screwed me out of $250 way back in 1993. I had ordered a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Warriors Flightjacket, of which to this day I have yet to recieve. For an 18 year old in 1993, $250 was a lot of money to fork over. All of this is also secondary to the fact that the owner, <name edited>, is also wanted by Federal Authorities for crimes so profound and utterly disturbing that common decency and decorum prohibits me listing them here. Look up the name on Google if you want to confirm this.<br><br>

The TL;DR version? Starfortress owes me. I want either 1 BSG Jacket, my $250.00, or <name edited>severed head on a lance.

• Like 1

We do not add someone to that area just because we don't like them, Jim.  When someone is added to that particular list, it can be for several reasons.  They may have taken payment and not delivered items (as in case of Josh, above), make a substandard item, or be a re-caster of other people's work, which is HIGHLY frowned upon.  The armorers in our "vetted" section have spent countless hours perfecting their product and have a tried-and-true reputation, but some of the people on that list feel that they can copy it just to make money off of unsuspecting folks.  Many of these people actually list on their sites "501st approvable.." or something of that nature.  99.9% of the time they are not. 

• Like 1

::raises hand:: ala Hermione Granger (e.g. I know the answer to this!)

The owner of this site is a known pedophile with an outstanding arrest warrant in Texas. He fled to Asia where he sells low quality recast items. If you like giving money to a child molester, have at it. Do a little googling and you can actually find a copy of the arrest warrant.

Matt Gauthier (TE)

Matt was banned from this board for repeated flame wars, but even worse for repeatedly taking our members money and not delivering. He has at least twice documented "sold his molds", once to a 501st member, and then recast the sold molds to make new product. You can send him money if you want to take a large risk of not getting anything, and of supporting someone who has screwed numerous 501st members by lying to them.

Also a rampant recaster, low quality, etc.

That said, you are certainly free to send them money, however its buyer beware and you can't say you weren't warned...

Do I get full marks? ;-)

• Like 3

Well Paul has certainly given you all of the info you need. 

It wouldn't be advantageous for anyone at FISD to add people to a do not buy list just because they do not like them.  People added to lists like this are well deserving of it through a well documented pattern of poor business practices. 

• Like 1

::raises hand:: ala Hermione Granger (e.g. I know the answer to this!)

The owner of this site is a known pedophile with an outstanding arrest warrant in Texas. He fled to Asia where he sells low quality recast items. If you like giving money to a child molester, have at it. Do a little googling and you can actually find a copy of the arrest warrant.

Matt Gauthier (TE)

Matt was banned from this board for repeated flame wars, but even worse for repeatedly taking our members money and not delivering. He has at least twice documented "sold his molds", once to a 501st member, and then recast the sold molds to make new product. You can send him money if you want to take a large risk of not getting anything, and of supporting someone who has screwed numerous 501st members by lying to them.

Also a rampant recaster, low quality, etc.

That said, you are certainly free to send them money, however its buyer beware and you can't say you weren't warned...

Do I get full marks? ;-)

thank you all for the info, I was curious about Matt because it was already a done deal :huh: ..... I dont want to rub any one the wrong way thats why I have all these questions. I met him through a mutual friend ( a very reputable source even on these boards) I agreed to do some electrical work for trades in armor ( Im an electrician by trade, obvi lol ) the armor is already done and Im getting it next week thats why I was concerned about its approval.... with that being said Ive also got it on good authority ( through the reputable source ) that his molds are legit ( not trying to stir a pot or get any thing started please dont think that ) but if it makes any one feel better Ive also got it on good authority ( himself telling me lol ) hes done with star wars armor lol. Also I use these boards and the posts on here to find all good resources to get my other parts from..... I hope Im not snubbing any one by using his armor, please know that I did the work and got the armor before knowing what he was about and signing up with FISD 

thanks guys and gals Jimsidious

No worries at all Jim. FWIW, when Matt puts his mind to it, he makes fantastic armor and helmets. The problem is only that he also has had a habit of giving the finger to 501st people in general, and also taking money and not delivering.

I truly hope you get what you agreed to, as a good set of TE armor will easily be worth it.

• Like 3

No worries at all Jim. FWIW, when Matt puts his mind to it, he makes fantastic armor and helmets. The problem is only that he also has had a habit of giving the finger to 501st people in general, and also taking money and not delivering.

I truly hope you get what you agreed to, as a good set of TE armor will easily be worth it.

Thank you Paul, it helps me rest easier knowing Im not ruffling feathers and also getting (apparently hopefully getting lol ) a good set of armor.... and yes I have been on the receiving end of his finger when it comes to 501st, I guess knowing my status as being in approval state now with my TS and shooting for 501st with this TK..... he has openly told me what he thinks about the organization, I just bit my lip cuz I just want the armor and be done lol 

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get your armor?

Its a done deal for me as well, didn't see his name on the avoid list at first.

He's been really friendly and responsive, even accepting of special instructions. Seems to be getting work done fast.

he was a nice enough guy to me as well, I received my armor from him from a job I did for him, and again he was nice enough until he deviated from the blue print design of the vacuform table he was building, I did the electrical part of it for him..... once that happened I explained to him it wouldnt work that way and when it didnt he started getting accusatory I got all my stuff and bailed out.... he still owes me a couple things but Im considering it a wash lol.... Im certainly glad to hear hes back on the up and up alot of people were complaining that he wasnt delivering. Ive always believed in second chances maybe hes turned over that new leaf

• 2 months later...

hey garrison brother!! yeah he was an ok guy to start especially because of whom I met him through, a good friend, but damn bro as time went on..... ugh he became more and more a pain in the an impolite person.... Ill give ou better detail at a troop were at together some time but it is sad man that it comes to that with some people.....

• Like 1