Not a costume but who doesn't love a droid?

Today I picked up a sheet of 3mm and a sheet of 1.5mm HIPS. The 1.5 mm is more as it's handy to have, and this is the smallest sheet size they sell. Both are 1220x915mm.

33987898491_345dcb4904_z.jpg
HIPS, lots of HIPS by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

I'm going to print the plans later and get started patching them back together. I'm sure that will be a horrible job...

The plans call for 3 sheets about half the size of the one I got but sheet 3 is just the trench so I figured I'd work something else out. Worst case I buy more. I may have to anyway as I'm hoping to make the chassis out of the 3mm.

Glue I'm going to order some Dichloromethane from eBay and some little LDPE bottles with needles to apply it. Though I plan on a dry build with masking tape first.

I've also made a start on some CAD work to help design the design the drive train.

34077486836_c27d41f687_z.jpg
MSE-6 CAD WIP by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Once the shell is built I will update the CAD dimensions to match reality which should make things easier.

I've got a plan for a solid rear axel done, fairly basic but similar to what was using on screen. Going to aim for a 8:1 gearing from a 540 motor, which was recommended by Mike Senna in his build.

Wheels I've designed my own from the reference. I don't claim them to be perfect but they look nice. After a couple iterations and some advice on the FB group I've ended up with a 2 piece design which means they print cleanly and quickly. They are designed to fit the foam tires available in the US.

33961049162_306c00f3df_z.jpg
Test 2 piece wheel by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

The PCD is 20mm and it uses M3 screws to hold it to the hub which will also be 3D printed.

33733290470_88da6aa4c0_z.jpg
Assembeled 2 Piece wheel by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

The photo shows PZ1 screws but they're far too long so once I know what I need I plan to order some button head hex drives to replace them.

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've printed pages 1 and 2 of the plans.  The taping process is INCREDIBLY tedious so I've only done one so far.

34177559121_bf82b1561c_z.jpg

Sheet 1 of the plans by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

I went with blue tape as it allows me to fix errors easily even though it's not the strongest option.  I've not done page 2 or any cutting yet as I need to find time to do it with my daughter.

I've also ordered some of the misc tat I'll need for the build.

I'm have 500ml of Dichloromethane, so I'm probably on some terrorist watch list for ordring pure chemicals.

34267800786_10e9d7750a_z.jpg

Dichloromethane! by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

I've got some small LDPE bottles with needles to apply the glue accurately.

34177558601_a2befcf9b7_z.jpg

LDPE bottles by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

This lot came to about £14 all in, much cheaper than standard styrene hobby glue.

I've also got some bearings for the axels.  I got 10 MR105ZZ which is a 5x10x4mm bearing.  Small but they should be up to the task.  Worst case they aren't and I'll make a new bracket for some bigger ones.

34267801266_27e4ccdebe_z.jpg

MR105ZZ bearings by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Next step will be to get the bottom shell cut and built so I can get the measurments I'll need to be able to order the axel and start to work on the mounts.  

I also still haven't ordered any electronics or the gears yet I have a good idea what I'll be using so I'll post here for any tips if I'm wrong about somthing:

All pretty basic stuff and comes to about £85 shipped in from china or around £100 if I get UK based.

I'm aiming to gear it at about 8:1 with either a 10 or 11 pinion and an 87 tooth gear.  Should mean it's slow but torquey.

Following.  EAGERLY.

I've been wanting to do this myself!  What FB group are you referring to, Chris?  I might just start copying your build bit by bit. :)

Although I admit I was sort of wanting to go with one of the vacuum molded chassis, if I can find one, rather than piecing together the raw sheets.  Just seems more durable.

I assume you'll be modeling and printing the top and side greeblies?

This is the internation FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/248862279225/?ref=bookmarks

This is the freshly minted forum: http://mousedroidbuilders.club/

The plans I'm using are available on both those.

For the top greeblies and side stuff I'll probably use the 3D files TinyP has done.  He also did some wheels but they are for hubs from the chassis he's using.

I'd like to have got a vac shell but I'd have to import as the new UK source isn't quite 1:1 scale (22" long is 1:1 the RWA one is 20" long).  The company most use is this one: http://www.graniteearth.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=One-BOX

• Like 2

This is the internation FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/248862279225/?ref=bookmarks

This is the freshly minted forum: http://mousedroidbuilders.club/

The plans I'm using are available on both those.

For the top greeblies and side stuff I'll probably use the 3D files TinyP has done.  He also did some wheels but they are for hubs from the chassis he's using.

I'd like to have got a vac shell but I'd have to import as the new UK source isn't quite 1:1 scale (22" long is 1:1 the RWA one is 20" long).  The company most use is this one: http://www.graniteearth.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=One-BOX

Thx!

ARGH.  Why on earth would someone take the time to vacuform a shell and NOT use black plastic, forcing you to paint it??? (and ensuring any scratches will be super obvious)