Noob looking for armor advice...

Sarge.

I met a guy at the local 501st meet and greet the other day with some armor for sale. I need some advice on what he has.  He said he did not quite finish it or get it approved before he has some surgery then never got around to it. He is not sure of the maker as he got it from another 501st member about 4 years ago. 

The seller is the same height as me but a bit thicker, so I will trim the pieces down to fit me. The local squad leader is not sure on the helmet as we don't know the maker of it.  

I would like to get the thoughts from you experts. 

post-31379-0-58078500-1492405448_thumb.jpeg

post-31379-0-30935900-1492405454_thumb.jpeg

post-31379-0-03363800-1492405459_thumb.jpeg

post-31379-0-42682400-1492405463_thumb.jpeg

post-31379-0-97672900-1492405469_thumb.jpeg

post-31379-0-64352500-1492405474_thumb.jpeg

The helmet is EFx and so shouldn't clear, but I'm sure some will.

Boots have a seam at the front, fine for basic but you'll need something better for levels 2 and 3.

The E-11 isn't right either.

But the main armour looks okay for at least basic as far as I can tell but I'd want Evette images to be sure.

If I resculpted the ear bars, put the screws on the ears, filled in the holes on the back, replaced the lenses and cleaned up the seams, does a black series even have a chance for approval? I have one I can modify.

To be perfectly honest with you Adam, unless this all is going for a really good low price, I would look elsewhere.  I'm not entirely sure if your garrison would approve the eFX helmet.  The armor looks okay from the pictures but there are far better sets out there.  Have you reached out to any of the vetted vendors?  I would consider checking with WTF or MTK if you are looking for a set of armor and want it pretty quickly.  They are also in the lower price range. 

I have not yet heard of anyone taking a Rogue One black series helmet and modifying it to look ANH.  I think it might cost you too much in time, effort, and materials then if you were to just buy a kit from someone.

• Like 4

It is through the local garrison that this was offered to me.  But the CRL says "FX helmet is no longer permitted for new approvals."

It is a very low price compared to any of the quotes I have got from vendors. That's why I'm looking seriously at it and asking about helmets.  I have messages out to a good portion of the vetted vendors and am waiting for then prices for a bucket through them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just build a new kit, that armor looks quite outdated, you wont regret getting a more accurate kit, it IS worth to spent a little more, take a look through the centurion threads at the different armors

• Like 1

How much is he letting the armor go for? I only ask because if it's a very low price, it may work to get you in the door, but it could use some tweaks, such as new boots and perhaps a better blaster. The EFX helmet will have to be replaced, regardless. I'm actually dealing with a helmet issue as well, as mine is the infamous 3-piece design, and while it might be approvable, it's a pain in the butt to assemble properly. Foe what it's worth, if you decide to go with this set, check out our vetted vendors for a replacement bucket.

I considered doing the same thing, buying cheap. Just to get in the door. Then I read some stories of people spending a lot of money and time to try and get their armor approved. It definitely changed my mind when some of them ditched their efforts for a better kit. They ended up spending a lot more money trying to go less expensive. Im waiting on my kit to arrive now. At least I know it will be something that I will be able to troop in. Spend some extra time and money going to centurion instead of just getting approval.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this approved.  I did a lot of trimming down and make the joints butt joints.  I also got a new bucket.  I got approved as TK 13717

post-31379-0-91066200-1497041134_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamdblake

• 5 months later...

Just finished off the electronics in my helmet. I’m stoked. It took a bit of engineering and positioning, but I got all my electronics in my helmet and working.

Voice modulator (old iPhone using trooper talk), audio amp, mic and four 15mm speakers. Along with two 5 volt fans and two 12 volt fans on a variable knob to turn them up and down. It’s all running off a 12 v battery back.

EoNu7x.jpg

8CxO2C.jpg

The helmet itself is a heavily modified R1 black series. I stripped everything out of the inside, filled the speaker holes, molded ears, replace the screen behind the frown, changed lenses, modified mic tips (15mm speakers in side them).

I know it will never be anything more than basic approval, but I happy with it.

RPIRY1.jpgYamZFs.jpg

m3nCO6.jpg

I built it out on my own. I got all the stuff from Amazon, eBay or stuff I had around the workbench. 

The fans are through an Adjustable Driver Switch. This allows the 2 5volt fans to come on without the 12 v ones, but if I turn up the driver switch the 12 v will kick on.  The 5-volt ones are protected from burning out with a 12v to 5v Step-Down. These are run off a 12V Tenergy 2000mAh NiMH battery.

The battery also powers the audio amplifier. The mic is plugged into the iPhone, then the modulated audio is run to the amplifier then out to the speakers.  I can adjust the audio level with the knob.  

This is basically the setup

ljnlE8.jpg