TKTalkie v3 Released!

So how many effects files can I use with the TK Talkie v3? I've been extracting some interesting static and burst effects from the classic TK BG loop and I think I'm up to 27 files, about 3.2MB total.

So how many effects files can I use with the TK Talkie v3? I've been extracting some interesting static and burst effects from the classic TK BG loop and I think I'm up to 27 files, about 3.2MB total.

by default it's 99, but you can raise it in the code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi,

I've built my TK talkie and lovin' the effects but can't get the bluetooth module to pair with the talkie app.

My phone can see the module and brings it up, but when I try to connect I get the following error.

Failed to connect: name: MTL-BT05 id C8:FD:19:9C:CC:B0 errorMessage : Peripheral Disconnected

Any advice on how to fix this? I've already tried swapping the tx/rx wires.

Here's a screenshot of the error in the app:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nQ-zZ7ZHPAuWn5iB2fezBGPWI2UepCbB4w

Cheers

Fulhair

Edited by fulhair

Hi,

I've built my TK talkie and lovin' the effects but can't get the bluetooth module to pair with the talkie app.

My phone can see the module and brings it up, but when I try to connect I get the following error.

Failed to connect: name: MTL-BT05 id C8:FD:19:9C:CC:B0 errorMessage : Peripheral Disconnected

Any advice on how to fix this? I've already tried swapping the tx/rx wires.

Here's a screenshot of the error in the app:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nQ-zZ7ZHPAuWn5iB2fezBGPWI2UepCbB4w

Cheers

Fulhair

Are you sure the Bluetooth adapter is an HM-10 or clone (cc2451)? I ask because typically the phone can't see the module without a BLE app like LightBlue.

You can also connect the Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE up to the TKTalkie while you are trying to connect and see what's going on. Just enter the commands

debug=1

and then

echo=1

and you will be able to see what is going on when you try to connect.

Are you sure the Bluetooth adapter is an HM-10 or clone (cc2451)? I ask because typically the phone can't see the module without a BLE app like LightBlue.

You can also connect the Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE up to the TKTalkie while you are trying to connect and see what's going on. Just enter the commands

debug=1

and then

echo=1

and you will be able to see what is going on when you try to connect.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the serial monitor but it showed no activity when I tried to connect. Using the mic did show activity.

I did try to source a HM-10 clone and the chip does say cc2451.

Here's an image of it : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mt9-nEn9S2GwOVyhrni2DSITkECD3MxjHA

Will see next if it's my crappy soldering causing the problem then to find another bt module.

Cheers!

Okay, fixed the problem! Was my usual problem of not following the instruction! DOH

I was connecting the 3v and ground to another point on the board, but when I solder them directly to the pins, it worked. Let me be a lesson for others not how to do things

Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to trying this out at my first troop this weekend! :smiley-sw013:

Cheers

Fulhair

Okay, fixed the problem! Was my usual problem of not following the instruction! DOH

I was connecting the 3v and ground to another point on the board, but when I solder them directly to the pins, it worked. Let me be a lesson for others not how to do things

Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to trying this out at my first troop this weekend! :smiley-sw013:

Cheers

Fulhair

Glad to hear it! I'm working on a little cleaner wiring scheme as well.

• 2 weeks later...

When I downloaded the new firmware ZIP, the file is named tktalkiev3.ino.hex. The 1.12 app reports the firmware as 3.00. I went to GetHub for the latest sketch since it seemed to be updated. When I uploaded it the old way, the version now read 3.11.

My only request is to be able to select the directory from which the profile pulls effects, for building different costume profiles. I don't seem to see that in the current 1.12 app.

When I downloaded the new firmware ZIP, the file is named tktalkiev3.ino.hex. The 1.12 app reports the firmware as 3.00. I went to GetHub for the latest sketch since it seemed to be updated. When I uploaded it the old way, the version now read 3.11.

My only request is to be able to select the directory from which the profile pulls effects, for building different costume profiles. I don't seem to see that in the current 1.12 app.

The hex file is the already compiled code and you use the Teensy loader to put it on to the TK Talkie.

To select the directory whenever you are on the sounds page just tap on the drop-down box and you will have a list of directories at the bottom of the list that you can change into and it will list any files in that directory.

Ok I tried this on my TKTalkie (after putting the "Blink" sketch on it) and it installed ok.  Just to be safe I recompiled and recreated the zip file and uploaded it ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Help!
      I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble getting my TKtalkie working. This seems unusual, as all the forum posts seem to have had little trouble getting it working! I have gone through quite a lot of problem determination but I am completely stumped. Either something is amiss with the tutorial or I am being a complete and utter bell end. Hopefully, someone can point out which it is.

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to describe my problem without going into detail.

My aim

I purchased the Teensie with the aim of creating a V2 (I don't need phone features). I am using Mic Input and Line Out. However I ended up going down the V3 route (as explained below)

Hardware build

This went fine... I am pretty sure my build is spot on.

Tutorial - Dead links (Problem 1)
 I started following the V2 software tutorial and quickly found that all the links to downloads and Github were dead. After a bit of confusion I found new links in the download section (confusing that the tutorial links are dead, but I got around it)

TkTalkie Sketch not working (Problem 2)

Following the guide, downloaded all the Audino software, teensie addon and V2 Sketch file. When I try to load the sketch file to the teensie I get loads of "Stray '\302' in program errors". A quick google suggests that there are invalid characters in the code. So I try the V3 sketch... same error. Hmmmm, using the error log I try manaually altering the offending files. However, everytime I rerun, i get new lines with the same error. Eventually giove up. (my assumption is that because of the errors, no code went to the teensie???)

My wild stab in the dark - Tktakie firmware

I was just about to give up when i noticed the TKtalkie firmware in the downloads. I had no idea what it is because I can't see it mentioned in the tutorial??? However, I gave it a go, downloaded and it installed to the teensie ok. Whatever it was, it worked!

Its Working (Sort of)

Created the SDcard (from the zip file) turned on the teensie and it works! Startup wav plays, tkloop works, voice works.... however the sound effects are not working!!!!

No sound effects working (Problem 3 - Main Problem)

No matter what i try, I cannot get the post talk sound effects to work?
As mentioned above the startup wav works and the Tkloop works but not the sound effects.

Things I have tried....

First off, I know the voice is switching off because the voice effect static switches off and total silence occurs (I have also tried with zero voice static to see if it was being drowned out)
I have tried removing the tkloop (just incase that was causing the issue)
I have tested the sound effect wavs by moving one of them to the startup folder, renaming the file... and yep the the sound effect wav works as a startup sound
I have even tried renaming the effects folder (and changing the config file)

Still no post voice effects? Could this be related to the failed sketch upload??????

Push to Talk (Minor issue)

One final point, the tutorials also mention adding a PTT button. However other than settings help (where it says you can set the pin number for PTT) I can see no reference to how to physically ads a PTT to the teensie???

Thankyou for reading my long post. Hope you can give some suggestions?

5 hours ago, flibberflops said:

Tutorial - Dead links (Problem 1)
 I started following the V2 software tutorial and quickly found that all the links to downloads and Github were dead. After a bit of confusion I found new links in the download section (confusing that the tutorial links are dead, but I got around it)

I will go back and make sure those are working.  the Github repos were reorganized recently and I had found a few more.  I thought I had caught them all...thank you for finding that.

TkTalkie Sketch not working (Problem 2)

Following the guide, downloaded all the Audino software, teensie addon and V2 Sketch file. When I try to load the sketch file to the teensie I get loads of "Stray '\302' in program errors". A quick google suggests that there are invalid characters in the code. So I try the V3 sketch... same error. Hmmmm, using the error log I try manaually altering the offending files. However, everytime I rerun, i get new lines with the same error. Eventually giove up. (my assumption is that because of the errors, no code went to the teensie???)

Those errors are due to the way Windows saves the source code when you copy and paste or jus try to download the source code.  If you look at what you have, you will probably see some HTML code in there ;)  You will need to use the "Download" button and download the ZIP file.  I'll update the README file on GitHub to reflect this.

Its Working (Sort of)

Created the SDcard (from the zip file) turned on the teensie and it works! Startup wav plays, tkloop works, voice works.... however the sound effects are not working!!!!

No sound effects working (Problem 3 - Main Problem)

No matter what i try, I cannot get the post talk sound effects to work?
As mentioned above the startup wav works and the Tkloop works but not the sound effects.

Things I have tried....

First off, I know the voice is switching off because the voice effect static switches off and total silence occurs (I have also tried with zero voice static to see if it was being drowned out)
I have tried removing the tkloop (just incase that was causing the issue)
I have tested the sound effect wavs by moving one of them to the startup folder, renaming the file... and yep the the sound effect wav works as a startup sound
I have even tried renaming the effects folder (and changing the config file)

Still no post voice effects? Could this be related to the failed sketch upload??????

This is mostly likely a mic calibration issue.  The static only plays while you are talking and not hearing static does not mean the mic has shut off.  Check out this video on mic calibration:

Push to Talk (Minor issue)

One final point, the tutorials also mention adding a PTT button. However other than settings help (where it says you can set the pin number for PTT) I can see no reference to how to physically ads a PTT to the teensie???

Wiring up a PTT jack just requires connecting the ground lug of the jack to a ground pin on the Teensy (or Audio Shield) and the left channel lug (or mono lug if it's not a stereo jack) to a pin on the Teensy (defaults to pin 2.)  I do need to add that to the tutorial!  The button is also simple...I use a microswitch and wire it to a 3.5mm jack (see example.)  Again, I need to add that whole process to the tutorial.  To keep the case compact, the rear connection is either Line-Out or PTT, but I am working on some other case designs ;)

Join the group at facebook.com/groups/tktalkie and PM me there and I will help you get a PTT button built if you are wanting to add that.

Edited by lerxstrulz

On 25/05/2017 at 8:29 PM, TKSnake said:

Hi Erik, care to share your 27 files you did ?

Thanks

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the case design (dubbed MkII) for the v3 so that the BLE is now inside the case instead of an external dongle (the original design was adding the BLE to the v2 and that was the most efficient way to do it...)

The pic is a low-res prototype.  There are two access holes in the top:  the larger one in the back is for viewing the Teensy LED and accessing the programming button for doing firmware upgrades.  There is a smaller one above where the BLE sits so you can see the LED as well.

I will be posting the STL on the website and hopefully getting a short tutorial put together on how to mod your v3 for this (mostly just need to extend some wires.) All orders from the website moving forward will use this case.

tktalkie-mkII.png

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy

I built my TKTalkie before SWCO and it worked great. I printed my case using the STL file from your site. I saw you've designed a new case for the BT device. I was wondering if you were going to post the .STL file soon.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by Jimbo3301

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 4:26 PM, lerxstrulz said:

It's a trade secret!  ;)

No, actually I just built a little breadboard using "Method 3" from this page:

http://www.martyncurrey.com/arduino-with-hc-05-bluetooth-module-at-mode/

I'm using an Arduino nano on the board and have it setup so that I just stick the BLE in there and then program it via the serial interface.  I'll try to grab a pic of it.  It's crude but it works great ;)

I programmed my BLE device using an FTDI cable and Tera Term terminal emulator. The syntax I used was AT+NAME=TK11055. I discovered after assembly and powering up that the syntax was wrong.  Apparently, it should have been AT+NAMETK11055 omitting the “=”. My BLE is named "=TK11055". Too much trouble to change it. I also desoldered the 6 pin header and wired from the thru holes to the pins on the audio adapter. Was a little paranoid about potential shorts between the header pins and the audio adapter.  I guess I could of put a piece of shrink wrap around the pins. That would have been easier.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 0:25 PM, Jimbo3301 said:

I programmed my BLE device using an FTDI cable and Tera Term terminal emulator. The syntax I used was AT+NAME=TK11055. I discovered after assembly and powering up that the syntax was wrong.  Apparently, it should have been AT+NAMETK11055 omitting the “=”. My BLE is named "=TK11055". Too much trouble to change it. I also desoldered the 6 pin header and wired from the thru holes to the pins on the audio adapter. Was a little paranoid about potential shorts between the header pins and the audio adapter.  I guess I could of put a piece of shrink wrap around the pins. That would have been easier.

I wish I could find a supplier of BLE's where the header pins were not already soldered on.  I have JST connectors that would work great.  I tried removing the headers but it was a LOT of work. I ended up using 4-wire dupont connectors that slip on to the BLE pins and direct solder the wires to the Teensy.

On 8/26/2017 at 5:03 PM, lerxstrulz said:

I wish I could find a supplier of BLE's where the header pins were not already soldered on.  I have JST connectors that would work great.  I tried removing the headers but it was a LOT of work. I ended up using 4-wire dupont connectors that slip on to the BLE pins and direct solder the wires to the Teensy.

I'm an EE technician and do board level repair and debug. I have access to a rework station.

2 hours ago, Jimbo3301 said:

I'm an EE technician and do board level repair and debug. I have access to a rework station.

I work with Internet CPEs and constantly use serial console; I understand this 100%. It's immensely useful. What baud rate did you need to use?

Edited by TKSnake

I work with Internet CPEs and constantly use serial console; I understand this 100% This is immensely useful. What baud rate did you need to use?
The BLE defaults to 9600