TKTalkie v3 Released!

I noticed that the BLE module you photographed for the v3 tutorial has a different amount of pins than the BLE module you linked to eBay in your tutorial. Which one is the correct one to buy? I just want to make double sure before I purchase something I can't use.

That one in the tutorial is just missing the two extra pins...they are not used for normal operations so either one works.  

• Like 1

LOL I have the absolute worst luck. I'm pretty sure my audio shield shorted out last night since it refuses to read the SD card. I have a few at the house from times my several burnt Teensy 3.2. I'm hoping I can get one to work or I will just throw in the towel and order one built by Brent. At least I know my BLE works :)

LOL I have the absolute worst luck. I'm pretty sure my audio shield shorted out last night since it refuses to read the SD card. I have a few at the house from times my several burnt Teensy 3.2. I'm hoping I can get one to work or I will just throw in the towel and order one built by Brent. At least I know my BLE works :)

Ouch well before you do that have you tried another SD Card? Also try using the SD Card formatter listed at www.tktalkie.com/troubleshoot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The SD card is good. I can insert it in the card adapter and my computer reads it just fine

You might want to format it with the SD card formatter anyway...Most SD cards come "computer" formatted for cameras and phones which is a little different. It might not make a difference, but best to cover all bases. I did have a card that I formatted using my computer and then couldn't read it on the audio shield. It worked after I used the SD card fornatter.

Having said that I just picked up a PNY ultra hd card and it worked right out of the box.

I'll probably just hard wire mine in with lead wires. Still have room in my case and don't plan to disconnect it, so as long as there isn't a lot of RF interference from the chips impeding the BLE interface, it should work fine and I won't have to worry about the module popping off while everything is powered on. I can also wire the Mic Out back in at the same time since I'll be able to swap in case the wireless mic runs out of juice or breaks ;)

Got the hardware upgraded and the sketch uploaded (no thanks to Windows messing up the file text). I was wondering: in the video you mentioned you were able to program the BLE module's name. How is this accomplished? I couldn't seem to find how to do this in the tutorial or the help file.

Got the hardware upgraded and the sketch uploaded (no thanks to Windows messing up the file text). I was wondering: in the video you mentioned you were able to program the BLE module's name. How is this accomplished? I couldn't seem to find how to do this in the tutorial or the help file.

It's a trade secret!  ;)

No, actually I just built a little breadboard using "Method 3" from this page:

http://www.martyncurrey.com/arduino-with-hc-05-bluetooth-module-at-mode/

I'm using an Arduino nano on the board and have it setup so that I just stick the BLE in there and then program it via the serial interface.  I'll try to grab a pic of it.  It's crude but it works great ;)

On another note, when I got my v3 set up last night, after I talked, it would play my startup sound instead of the click.and static effects. Turns out that the config that was generated pointed effects to [effects_dir=/sounds/] instead of [effects_dir=/effects/]. This is actually an artifact from the Sample Profile provided from the site. Once i fixed the directory it was business as usual.

Edited by TKSnake

On another note, when I got my v3 set up last night, after I talked, it would play my startup sound instead of the click.and static effects. Turns out that the config that was generated pointed effects to [effects_dir=/sounds/] instead of [effects_dir=/effects/]. This is actually an artifact from the Sample Profile provided from the site. Once i fixed the directory it was business as usual.

Thank you will get that fixed!

I got a present in the mail yesterday, Brent! Thanks for the quick delivery! I noticed on mine too I get the startup sound instead of clicks. Didn't have time last night to really look into it so glad Erik figured it out. I am going to redo the end of my BLE as I was getting Time Out error when trying to connect to my iPhone. 

I got a present in the mail yesterday, Brent! Thanks for the quick delivery! I noticed on mine too I get the startup sound instead of clicks. Didn't have time last night to really look into it so glad Erik figured it out. I am going to redo the end of my BLE as I was getting Time Out error when trying to connect to my iPhone.

ah the tx/rx wires are prob opposite.

The Config Manager seems really buggy on my Galaxy S6.

1. I can save a profile, but it won't show up on the list after it saves, making me thing it didn't save, When I restart the app and TK Talkie, it's there.
  2. It won't delete profiles
  • I had to manually edit the SD Card to remove some profiles and change the default profile (see below).
  1. It won't change the default profile. It worked when I switched from the Sample Profile to my first custom profile, but no longer seems to function.
  • Ex.: when I switch from my wireless mic profile to my wired mic profile, the TK Talkie produces four beeps and restarts, but the profile is still on my default profile.

The red light stays solid on the BLE module, and I can still affect changes to other settings, like volume, mic gain playing the startup sound, etc.,, but the Config Manager doesn't seem to be as responsive. Not being able to switch between profiles or set the default profile (without removing the SD Card) is worrisome.

ah the tx/rx wires are prob opposite.

On the Teensy you sent me? I have the BLE wired up like this on the right:

connections.jpg

I can try swapping them around before I end up replacing the entire end. 

Edited by Airborne Trooper

On the Teensy you sent me? I have mine wired up like this:

connections.jpg

I can try swapping them around before I end up replacing the entire end. 

No that's the way it should be wired.  Yes try swapping the rx/tx wires on the male jack first.

The Config Manager seems really buggy on my Galaxy S6.

1. I can save a profile, but it won't show up on the list after it saves, making me thing it didn't save, When I restart the app and TK Talkie, it's there.
  2. It won't delete profiles
  • I had to manually edit the SD Card to remove some profiles and change the default profile (see below).
  1. It won't change the default profile. It worked when I switched from the Sample Profile to my first custom profile, but no longer seems to function.
  • Ex.: when I switch from my wireless mic profile to my wired mic profile, the TK Talkie produces four beeps and restarts, but the profile is still on my default profile.

The red light stays solid on the BLE module, and I can still affect changes to other settings, like volume, mic gain playing the startup sound, etc.,, but the Config Manager doesn't seem to be as responsive. Not being able to switch between profiles or set the default profile (without removing the SD Card) is worrisome.

Yeah the whole point of the app is so you don't have to remove the SD card ;)  

Are you saving to a new profile (i.e. changing the file name)?  It sounds like in general there is an issue accessing the SD card.

The 4 beeps means it can't update the SETTINGS.TXT file, which is where the default (startup) profile entry is stored.  (http://www.tktalkie.com/troubleshoot#6)  

First thing I would try is backing up the contents of the card on your computer, then reformatting it with SD Formatter.

# Sound effects
[effects_dir=/sounds/]
# Background loops
[loop_dir=/loops]
# Startup sounds
[sounds_dir=/sounds/]

https://github.com/becauseinterwebs/TKTalkie/blob/master/3.0/SDCard/profiles/SAMPLE.TXThas this as well. Simply change to effects_dir=/effects/

# Sound effects
[effects_dir=/sounds/]
# Background loops
[loop_dir=/loops]
# Startup sounds
[sounds_dir=/sounds/]

https://github.com/becauseinterwebs/TKTalkie/blob/master/3.0/SDCard/profiles/SAMPLE.TXThas this as well. Simply change to effects_dir=/effects/

Got it corrected.

Yeah the whole point of the app is so you don't have to remove the SD card ;)

Are you saving to a new profile (i.e. changing the file name)?  It sounds like in general there is an issue accessing the SD card.

The 4 beeps means it can't update the SETTINGS.TXT file, which is where the default (startup) profile entry is stored.  (http://www.tktalkie.com/troubleshoot#6)  

First thing I would try is backing up the contents of the card on your computer, then reformatting it with SD Formatter.

Thanks. I meant to append that it is making only 3 beeps, which seems to suggest that there's an error opening up the settings.

I used the SD Formatter as you suggested, but still had the same issue.

It seems that I can create profiles, and can change the default to the new profile, but I can't change, delete, or set as default a previously existing profile (the latter gives me three beeps). Even the Sample Profile is affected.
Edited by TKSnake

Thanks. I meant to append that it is making only 3 beeps, which seems to suggest that there's an error opening up the settings.

I used the SD Formatter as you suggested, but still had the same issue.

It seems that I can create profiles, and can change the default to the new profile, but I can't change, delete, or set as default a previously existing profile (the latter gives me three beeps). Even the Sample Profile is affected.

What happens if you try those commands from the serial interface?

What happens if you try those commands from the serial interface?

It works. My first attempt used the wrong syntax since I wasn't sure if the sketch would insert the correct file path (I got three beeps and the profile did not change). The second attempt worked fine and changed the input from Line In to Microphone.

>debug=1<
> Saving config data:
> Opening file SETTINGS.TXT
> 0: profile=TKCONF2.TXT
> 1: access_code=76253
> 2: debug=1
> 3: 
> Startup Settings Updated

>load<
> Load Settings File /profiles/TKCONF2.TXT
> Opening file /profiles/TKCONF2.TXT
> Parse Setting: name = Wireless w Chatter