TKTalkie v3 Released!

Hey guys,

TKTalkie v3 has been released, and contains a lot of new updates!  The biggest one of course is BLE (Bluetooth Low-Energy) support via the TKTalkie App (iOS/Android) that allows you to control your TKTalkie remotely.  Easily tweak settings, switch profiles and more!

In addition, you can now order your own TKTalkie via the TKTalkie Store.  So...build it or buy it...your choice ;)

The app is up on the Google Play Store and is just awaiting approval on the the App Store.

So what's new?  There are a lot of code optimizations to make it run faster, and besides being able to control it with the mobile app, you can also  manage different profiles - you can have a profile for your TK, one for your TD, etc...  ONE TKTalkie for all your costumes!

Watch the video above to see how it works!  Visit www.tktalkie.com for more info, and visit us on Facebook!

Edited by lerxstrulz
  • Like 4

Going to be a very slight delay on the iOS app...the only iOS device I have is a v2 iPad mini lol so have to test in emulators for the others, but found a couple small issues when it actually got on a phone. Just have to move a few things around is all

• Like 1

From a quick scan of the instructions it looks like I can upgrade my v2 to v3 by wiring up the BLE module, loading the new sketch, and printing a new case, is that accurate?

Thanks for all your work on this. Excited about trying out this new version!

PS: the "Forum Thread" link on the website points to the v1 thread, not sure if that is intentional.

From a quick scan of the instructions it looks like I can upgrade my v2 to v3 by wiring up the BLE module, loading the new sketch, and printing a new case, is that accurate?

Thanks for all your work on this. Excited about trying out this new version!

PS: the "Forum Thread" link on the website points to the v1 thread, not sure if that is intentional.

That's correct.  You don't even need to print a new case...you can just drill a hole for the BLE jack in the side of you want ;)

Thanks, I will fix the link.

• Like 1

Hey I was wondering if the TKTalkie comes with the speaker or not. I couldn't tell by the video or the store. Just so I know if I need to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaker is not included.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I get the slow blinking light on the BLE, I can find it on my iPhone but as soon as I try to connect it the screen has a slight grey overlay and it sits for about 30 seconds or so and comes back with Request Timeout Error. If it's something silly like checking my solder on the BLE to 3.5mm I will double check tonight. 

I'm also curious if once we have the settings the way we want, profile loaded, etc. do we have to always have the BLE connected? 

Last step is to pair to my iPhone 7 Plus. I keep getting Request timeout error. I've changed the device access in the SETTINGS.TXT and it still won't pair. 

BLE is "no-contract" pairing...meaning it's ad-hoc and you don't have to formally pair the device to your phone by using a pairing code.  The access code that is in the SETTINGS.TXT file is a "password" that is entered when the app connects to your device.

Can you post a pic of your BLE?  It should be either an HM-10 or an HM-10 clone such as the CC2541.  If it's an HC-06 or HC-05 it's not a BLE and won't work.

I get the slow blinking light on the BLE, I can find it on my iPhone but as soon as I try to connect it the screen has a slight grey overlay and it sits for about 30 seconds or so and comes back with Request Timeout Error. If it's something silly like checking my solder on the BLE to 3.5mm I will double check tonight. 

I'm also curious if once we have the settings the way we want, profile loaded, etc. do we have to always have the BLE connected? 

Does the light ever go solid on your BLE?  That would mean that it's getting a connection.  If the light is solid but you are still getting a time out, that means that there is a communication issue somewhere (either between the BLE and the Teensy or between the Teensy and the app.)  If it just keeps blinking then no connection is being made.

Are you using a BLE app such as LightBlue on your iPhone to find it?  If you can see it in the normal Bluetooth pairing on your iPhone, it might not be a BLE.  If you are using a BLE app and you can't see it, it's not a BLE.  If you are using a BLE app and you can see it, double check that the light goes solid when you attempt to connect to it with the TKTalkie app.  If it goes solid, there is a connection but a communication issue somewhere, which means I would check that the Serial In/Out connections on the BLE: the male jack, the female jack and the female jack to the Teensy are correct.  Easiest way to do that is to plug everything up (but NOT power it on) and use a multimeter to test connectivity all the way through from the TX pin on the BLE to the RX pin on the Teensy, and same for RX -> TX.  

I just downloaded a LightBlue app so I'll test when I get home from work. It would flash, then I'd enter the profile name, choose the BLE, put the code in and as soon as I would pair it the BLE light would become solid but the app froze at that greyish tint and eventually say timeout. 

I just downloaded a LightBlue app so I'll test when I get home from work. It would flash, then I'd enter the profile name, choose the BLE, put the code in and as soon as I would pair it the BLE light would become solid but the app froze at that greyish tint and eventually say timeout.

Ok then​ you are getting a connection.

I would double check the TX to RX connections I mentioned.

Also, no you don't have to leave the BLE connected once you've got everything tuned. I do take mine with me on troops so I can adjust it to the environment if needed, but I don't leave it plugged in while I troop.

Crappy solder job. I fixed it and it's working! I might throw some glue to hold things in place on the bottom of the board

Great! Yeah I put a dollop of hot glue on them...keep meaning to update the tutorial

I read through the Github files and know it's the SD card not being read. I am having to replace my female jack for the BLE to plug into because it's a loose fit.

Yes 3 beeps means it can't load a file from the SD card.  However, the BLE should not have anything to do with that other than maybe the loose fit is causing a short or disconnect.

I noticed that the BLE module you photographed for the v3 tutorial has a different amount of pins than the BLE module you linked to eBay in your tutorial. Which one is the correct one to buy? I just want to make double sure before I purchase something I can't use.