Ear Trimming Made Easy...

This is really a hack for people who already have a helmet and are working on the next one. If you already have a helmet and are pleased with the way the ears look (even if there is still a gap), your next set of ears can come ridiculously close to perfect!

1. Tear a wide sheet of aluminum foil about square. Fold it several times (for rigidity) until it is a little larger than an ear cover with good margins.

2. Press the foil tightly around the ear cover on the existing helmet. Capture as much of the detail as possible, as this serves to index the position of the foil template on the new ear cover.

3. Take a narrow implement with a straight edge and really press the foil to the edges of the ear cover that mate with the helmet. Be careful not to tear or puncture the foil. The curve at the cheek tube may require a little extra persuasion to conform completely.

4. Press and shape a second time to ensure the foil did not shift.

5. Carefully remove the foil from the helmet and place it over the new ear cover.

6. Trace the trim line.

7. Be conservative and trim close to the outside of the line first. Make small adjustments as needed.

8. Rinse and repeat with the other side.

9. You should have little to no gap with the new set of ears.

10. You're welcome!

Edited by trooper96
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Astroth said:

i cant wrap my head around how this works? got any pics on the process?

I think you will find he's using an already assemble helmet and taking a template of the already fitted ears with the foil, then transfer that template to the new ears on another helmet build.l and draw a trim line.

I have found in my experience even build the same helmets things can be a little different from one to another.

Here's a really helpful helmet build thread 

3 hours ago, Astroth said:

i cant wrap my head around how this works? got any pics on the process?

Glen is right. Things can be a little different with only slightly different placement of the ear. This trick doesn't give an absolute trim line, but does provide a guide line to start trimming. Really just takes the guesswork out of making the first cut.  Here's a couple of pictures.

yVWdCRi.jpg

ekNXrTJ.jpg

Edited by trooper96
Text edit
  • Like 3